Atlas throwback : 1999 edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:29:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas throwback : 1999 edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Atlas throwback : 1999 edition  (Read 6083 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »

No seems to remember that Donald Trump has been hinting for a while now he might run as one of those bland low-energy "moderate hero" types in the Reform Party. Not sure if that would make a difference (the man is dreadfully boring and has no charisma whatsoever) but giving Perot's numbers it should be taken into account.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 06:10:51 PM »

No seems to remember that Donald Trump has been hinting for a while now he might run as one of those bland low-energy "moderate hero" types in the Reform Party. Not sure if that would make a difference (the man is dreadfully boring and has no charisma whatsoever) but giving Perot's numbers it should be taken into account.

I'd vote for Trump over Gore.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »

Lmao Trump has basically gone bankrupt too many times and is a joke now . Maybe if he ran in 1992 or 1988 he could get 5-10 percent of the vote but not in 2000
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »

Lmao Trump has basically gone bankrupt too many times and is a joke now . Maybe if he ran in 1992 or 1988 he could get 5-10 percent of the vote but not in 2000

I really think you underestimate Trump. He could certainly bring the Reform Party to the left on economics and go after the old New Deal coalition. West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Michigan will be very interesting if he gets the nomination.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 07:55:02 PM »

I really think you underestimate Trump. He could certainly bring the Reform Party to the left on economics and go after the old New Deal coalition. West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Michigan will be very interesting if he gets the nomination.

West Virginia is probably the 2nd most Democratic state in the nation other then Mass, so even if trump gets 10% of vote there there is no way a Dem can lose that state.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

West Virginia is probably the 2nd most Democratic state in the nation other then Mass, so even if trump gets 10% of vote there there is no way a Dem can lose that state.

Oh of course, Trump won't win a single state. But he could do surprisingly well in some very strong D states.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »

Oh of course, Trump won't win a single state. But he could do surprisingly well in some very strong D states.

In my opinion by 2000s is the decade where things slowly start to go back to normal Republicans controlling the presidency democrats controlling congress.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 05:33:26 AM »

CA looks like it'll be the tipping point state this cycle. With Buchanan poised to sweep the deep South, Bush absolutely needs California to win.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »

CA looks like it'll be the tipping point state this cycle. With Buchanan poised to sweep the deep South, Bush absolutely needs California to win.

What makes you think that quack Buchanan will take the Reform Party nomination?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 04:29:34 PM »

LOL, Buchanan is not going to be the Reform Party nominee. He has about as much a chance of winning anything as the Green Party does of getting more than 1% of the vote. Count on Ron Paul or maybe Jesse Ventura to get the nod.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 07:09:25 PM »

you'd be surprised. Coal is big there so while Gore will probably still win I think there's an off chance that his environmentalism might hurt him a bit there.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »

I also think it'll be interesting to see how the W2 protests going on right now in Seattle have an effect on the election, especially since Gore was a major proponent of deals like NAFTA. This boomtime economy isn't going to last forever and I don't think we've seen the worst effects of globalization yet.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2016, 12:46:25 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2016, 12:51:11 AM by Moderate Hero »

With Gephard as Gore vp and Ridge as Bush this is how I see the election going

Bush 267
Gore 253
Tossup 18

It comes down to Michigan and if trump is able to take more then 3-4% of the vote Bush is the next president as Trump would mainly take votes away from Gore in states like Michigan.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 07:45:52 AM »

Does anyone think Nader might have an impact this year? I heard he was running as a Green.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 08:35:40 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 08:37:54 PM by Beet »

After eight years of Bill Clinton, people approve of him more than ever, but in truth they're also tired of his constant scandals and he certainly hasn't been a good role model for our kids. And like it or not, Gore, who praised him as a great president, is tied to that fatigue. Favorable ratings of Gore have dropped since 1997, and only 39% see him as a strong leader.

No wonder Bush, a Republican without some of the rough edges of Newt Gingrich, seems like a refreshing change. People see him as a strong leader and someone with solid conservative moral character, which is probably why polls have showed him with double digit leads all year. I expect things to tighten up, but here's my current state of the race (no, I don't expect Gore will carry his home state of Tennessee. He knows he's lost touch with the state, which may be why his campaign headquarters started out in DC!):

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 06:31:53 PM »

Gore should go left with his Veep pick or someone with more charisma.

Bush is kinda appealing to me...but I'm skeptical about his foreign policy views and worried about his social conservatism.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2016, 12:48:28 AM by Kingpoleon, Never The Best/Worst Poster »

Bush is kinda appealing to me...but I'm skeptical about his foreign policy views and worried about his social conservatism.
I like his "strong but non-interventionist" style, but I have doubts that he will apply it. He'd need a strong VP pick to assure me of it. Colin Powell, Anne Armstrong, James Stockdale, David E. Jeremiah, or John Danforth would be good for that.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2016, 12:45:43 AM »

Check out this new June 2-3 1999 poll from Fox News

Bush 60
Gore 28
http://www.pollingreport.com/wh2gen2.htm

This could still end up tighter than 1984, of course.

lol. complete junk, Gore is likely 3 or 4 points ahead of that buffoon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »

The race has tightened since June. Bush is only up 23 points instead of 32 points in the latest Fox poll. He might not quite do better than Reagan 1984 after all.

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh2gen2.htm
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »

I like his "strong but non-interventionist" style, but I have doubts that he will apply it. He'd need a strong VP pick to assure me of it. Colin Powell, Anne Armstrong, James Stockdale, David E. Jeremiah, or John Danforth would be good for that.

There's some speculation he might pick Cheney. Dear God, I hope not.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »

Cheney has gotten a lot worse since the Ford administration.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2017, 05:25:52 AM »

Who's Cheney? Was he in Bush's cabinet or something?

He was HW's Defense Secretary and Ford's Chief of Staff. He's also incredibly hawkish.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »

Who's Cheney? Was he in Bush's cabinet or something?

He was HW's Defense Secretary and Ford's Chief of Staff. He's also incredibly hawkish.

Ah yes, I 'member.

He also vaguely reminds me of Darth Vader. I call him Darth Cheney.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 05:26:45 PM »

Warren Rudman, Richard Lugar, Jim Webb, or John Lehman would add foreign policy experience and the same gravitas, just like Dick Cheney. Carla Anderson Hills would add domestic and trade/foreign policy experience.

I really think a Bush/Rudman or Bush/Hills ticket would beat most Democrats.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »

There's some speculation he might pick Cheney. Dear God, I hope not.

Cheney may be Sec of Def again if Bush wins but he wont be VP, but he's from Wyoming a state which Bush will win no matter what, so there is no way he gets picked as vp.

Bush needs to pick a midwestern as VP
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies