Who will receive more votes (nationwide)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:06:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will receive more votes (nationwide)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will receive more votes (nationwide)?
Evan McMullin
Jill Stein
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Who will receive more votes (nationwide)?  (Read 976 times)
On Fleek
on fleek
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:30:18 PM »

It's truly hard to tell iyam.
On the one hand, Jill has gained ballot access in almost every state, whereas McMullin only has gained some in only eleven states (plus many write-in states).
On the other hand, her poll numbers leave a lot to be desired in each state, whereas he is likely to win a state and will probably do well in another.

bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »

The media is bound to cover McMullin's poll numbers in Utah and give him enough of a boost to easily surpass Stein.
Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »

McMullin, easily. Stein's only hope was to pull in disaffected Sanders voters, and I can safely say we've almost universally been reaffected.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »

That'd be hilarious if the guy that got into the race to win one state received more votes than someone with ballot access in 47 states.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »

Everyone in Utah could vote for McMuffin and Stein would still get more votes.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »

McMullin
amdcpus
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »

To those who (erroneously) voted McMullin over Stein, see Strom Thurmond in the 1948 election for why you're incorrect.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2016, 12:07:00 AM by Eraserhead »

The people voting for McMullin are really confused. If Stein gets 3% in California, 2.5% in New York, 1% in Florida (where you can't even write in McMullin), etc. do you realize what a big hole that puts him in?

You have to take into account that having write-in access isn't worth jack sh*t in most cases and in many states he doesn't even have that.

He might win Utah with like 30% of the vote and grab like 10% in Idaho. They're both small states though. Where else is he going to make up the votes that Stein grabs in the big states? The math just doesn't add up.
On Fleek
on fleek
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 10:52:32 PM »

To those who (erroneously) voted McMullin over Stein, see Strom Thurmond in the 1948 election for why you're incorrect.

Good point!
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »

The media is bound to cover McMullin's poll numbers in Utah and give him enough of a boost to easily surpass Stein.

This is my thought as well. I crunched some 2012 numbers. That's an assumption that my not prove to be true, but it's the best we have.

Utah 40%  1017             407
Idaho 15%   652               98
Colorado 2%   2569          51
New Mexico 1.5%  784     12  
Minnesota 2% 2936          59
Iowa 1% 1582                  16
Arkansas 0.5%  1069          5
Louisiana 0.5% 1994        10
Kentucky 0.5% 1797           9
S. Carolina 0.5% 1964      10
Virginia 2% 3854              77

754(thousand)

I'd say that McMullin can get at least 750,000 votes on the ballots that he's on. That's using 2012 numbers, so it could be a bit higher.

Honestly, I could be way overestimating McMullin. However, he has had a number of articles and is getting some recognition. I haven't heard much from Stein lately and third parties have a history of declining numbers leading up to an election. McMullin seems to be an exception to that, with his numbers increasing as Trump's fortunes flounder in Utah. Honestly, I have no idea, but I'm sticking to it. Admittedly it would be unprecedented for McMullin to get that many write ins, but you never know, especially this year.

I am curious, what is the comparison with Thurmond?
On Fleek
on fleek
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 12:40:06 AM »

In 1948, Thurmond won three states with an overwhelming majority, plus he broke 10% in several other states.
All those states are way bigger than Utah and Idaho, and in addition, McMullin won't reach those high percentages anywhere near.
All in all, Thurmond received 2.41%, only slightly more than the fourth contender in that four-way race:
Progressive Henry Wallace got 2.37%; his best state was New York (only 8.25%), followed by California (4.73%) and North Dakota (3.8%). In some further states he surpassed 3%, but in most he trailed way behind.
Nonetheless, Wallace was almost able to draw level with Thurmond.

McMullin, this year, will win big in Utah and do well in Idaho. However he has gained ballot access in only 11 states. Jill Stein is on the ballot in almost every state. She will win about 2 or 3 per cent in huge states like California and New York. And those are popular vote numbers McMullin cannot catch up with.

Conclusion: Constant dripping wears the stone.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 12:59:30 AM »

The people voting for McMullin are really confused. If Stein gets 3% in California, 2.5% in New York, 1% in Florida (where you can't even write in McMullin), etc. do you realize what a big hole that puts him in?

I mean, if those numbers are right, sure, she'll top McMullin, but in 2012 Stein got 0.66% in CA, 0.56% in NY, and 0.11% in FL. What basis do you have to think she'll improve that dramatically on her numbers? Remember that in 2012 she wasn't widely known to be a batsh**t anti-vaccine, anti-wifi (wtf?), #LockHerUp conspiracy theorist. Oh, and let's not forget the loony anti-semite she chose for a running mate this time around.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »

Voter participation was low enough in the Deep South in '48 that total votes in SC+MS+AL were about equal to UT+ID that year in spite of having 3.5x the EVs.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 01:46:10 AM »

Voter participation was low enough in the Deep South in '48 that total votes in SC+MS+AL were about equal to UT+ID that year in spite of having 3.5x the EVs.

Yeah, but Thurmond won them overwhelmingly. He got over 70% in all of them.

If McMullin wins Utah, and I hope he does, it will be by the skin of his teeth in a multi-candidate race.
He's not going to even come close to winning Idaho, there aren't enough Mormons/Trump haters there for it to happen.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 01:52:55 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2016, 02:53:35 AM by Eraserhead »

I mean, if those numbers are right, sure, she'll top McMullin, but in 2012 Stein got 0.66% in CA, 0.56% in NY, and 0.11% in FL. What basis do you have to think she'll improve that dramatically on her numbers? Remember that in 2012 she wasn't widely known to be a batsh**t anti-vaccine, anti-wifi (wtf?), #LockHerUp conspiracy theorist. Oh, and let's not forget the loony anti-semite she chose for a running mate this time around.

In 2012, she wasn't widely known at all. She's a much more significant factor this year for obvious reasons. That said, she could do a lot worse than I have her doing in those states and still beat McMullin easily because he's not on the ballot in any of them (meaning almost nobody is going to vote for him in the most highly populated states in the country).

If McMullin can even match Stein's 2012 nationwide total, that'd be pretty impressive.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 02:20:43 AM »

In 1948, Thurmond won three states with an overwhelming majority, plus he broke 10% in several other states.
All those states are way bigger than Utah and Idaho, and in addition, McMullin won't reach those high percentages anywhere near.
All in all, Thurmond received 2.41%, only slightly more than the fourth contender in that four-way race:
Progressive Henry Wallace got 2.37%; his best state was New York (only 8.25%), followed by California (4.73%) and North Dakota (3.8%). In some further states he surpassed 3%, but in most he trailed way behind.
Nonetheless, Wallace was almost able to draw level with Thurmond.

McMullin, this year, will win big in Utah and do well in Idaho. However he has gained ballot access in only 11 states. Jill Stein is on the ballot in almost every state. She will win about 2 or 3 per cent in huge states like California and New York. And those are popular vote numbers McMullin cannot catch up with.

Conclusion: Constant dripping wears the stone.

I will say that one of the problems with the Thurmond comparison is how few votes were cast in the southern states compared to northern states of approximately equal population. That may have dampened Thurmond's vote numbers (now, granted a lot of the non-voters were blacks, who obviously wouldn't like Thurmond). I do get the point that you're making though; overall, it's not too bad of a comparison. Rather convenient, really. I'm just not sure that Stein will get that many votes.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »

Even if she only scrapes 1% that could equal 1.3m votes for Stein, so you've got to work out where McMullin is going to get 1.3m votes from.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies