California man sentenced to 1503 years in prison
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:05:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California man sentenced to 1503 years in prison
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is this an appropriate sentence?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: California man sentenced to 1503 years in prison  (Read 2051 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:51:49 PM »

For repeatedly raping his daughter over a period of four years: http://torontosun.com/2016/10/22/father-sentenced-to-1503-years-in-prison-in-daughters-rape
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:00:09 AM »

Yes, while I'm opposed to the death penalty I'm completely in favor of life in prison for particularly heinous crimes. I can't even hope to speak to this particular case's specifics, but it's notable that this monster both showed no remorse and blamed the daughter. A threat to society if there ever was one.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:06:01 AM »

What in God's name is wrong with that Montana judge, though?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 12:10:10 AM »

It is not. The appropriate sentence in cases such as this, especially since it seems that his guilt is beyond all doubt and he showed no remorse, is death. Prisons should be centers for rehabilitation, not places where the unrehabilitatable, like this man, are sent to waste away with no clear benefit of any sort for society.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 12:22:32 AM »

No.

The reason I oppose life imprisonment isn't because I believe everybody should always get out of jail at some point. I simply believe the possibility should exist. No matter how heinous the crime, I have to believe that everyone has within themselves the possibility to redeem themselves.

Of course, the more heinous the crime, the harder the burden of what constitutes redemption should be, and in a case like this it might be effectively insurmountable, but still.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 12:37:15 AM »

This case is exactly why we need the death penalty.  These people forfeit their right to live.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 05:30:21 AM »

Yes, he is a despicable man. He raped his F*king daughter. I would be fine if they killed him, though I oppose the death penalty.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »

Yes, good decision in my opinion. Death penalty wouldn't be appropriated in this case.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 07:42:04 AM »

Such sentences are pretty much life imprisonment without any, even the most remote, chance of parole.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 08:12:19 AM »

Yes, I agree with this sentence, provided that he doesn't have any chance of parole.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »

Yes, while I'm opposed to the death penalty I'm completely in favor of life in prison for particularly heinous crimes. I can't even hope to speak to this particular case's specifics, but it's notable that this monster both showed no remorse and blamed the daughter. A threat to society if there ever was one.

I think that is fair. No one is expecting him to be reased in 3519 or OK 3019 with good behavior...for all we know, the prison won't and probably won't make it that long. Can't we just make every sentence over 60 years life and every over 100 life wo parole?
If I favored the death penalty, I would say being sentenced to 120 or more years should be rolled to death.

C'mon, man! I know you want to REALLY condemn but this is silly. Maybe there will be Demolition Man/Minority Report stuff...but still.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »

I think that is fair. No one is expecting him to be released in 3519 or OK 3019 with good behavior...for all we know, the prison won't and probably won't make it that long. Can't we just make every sentence over 60 years life and every over 100 life wo parole?
If I favored the death penalty, I would say being sentenced to 120 or more years should be rolled to death.

C'mon, man! I know you want to REALLY condemn but this is silly. Maybe there will be Demolition Man/Minority Report stuff...but still.
Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:10 AM »

No. I'm opposed to the death penalty in 90% of cases, and this is one of the 10%. Hang him.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »

Yes, I agree with this sentence, provided that he doesn't have any chance of parole.

I'm pretty sure California is one of those states where you have to serve 85% of your sentence before you can be released.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »

I actually voted yes, but then I remembered that this encourages rapists to murder their victims.

But if the death penalty exists for murder (which I don't think it should) then this is a good punishment.

What a despicable person, though. Ugh.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 10:21:04 AM »

No.

The reason I oppose life imprisonment isn't because I believe everybody should always get out of jail at some point. I simply believe the possibility should exist. No matter how heinous the crime, I have to believe that everyone has within themselves the possibility to redeem themselves.

Of course, the more heinous the crime, the harder the burden of what constitutes redemption should be, and in a case like this it might be effectively insurmountable, but still.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »

No.

Wouldn't the ability to appeal your case satisfy the need for a possibility to exist?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »

Why not just give him a life sentence? Is that not part of the sentencing guidelines?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »

Why not just give him a life sentence? Is that not part of the sentencing guidelines?

California doesn't have a life sentence for rape. However his daughter kept a diary and documented well over a hundred instances of it, and they charged him and sentenced him for every single one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »

No.

Wouldn't the ability to appeal your case satisfy the need for a possibility to exist?

What do you mean by the ability to appeal? Appeal is supposed to rectify mistakes made in the initial trial, but it's not supposed to be used to assess whether someone has reformed.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »

California doesn't have a life sentence for rape. However his daughter kept a diary and documented well over a hundred instances of it, and they charged him and sentenced him for every single one.
Makes sense.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »

This case sounds particularly heinous.  Even the smallest remorse and taking responsibility could have made a huuuuuge difference.  13 years in prison instead of 1503.

I oppose the death penalty and I think a life sentence is best for murderers.  This guy should have gone to prison for at least 20 years with intensive supervised release for te remainder of his life.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »

It is not. The appropriate sentence in cases such as this, especially since it seems that his guilt is beyond all doubt and he showed no remorse, is death. Prisons should be centers for rehabilitation, not places where the unrehabilitatable, like this man, are sent to waste away with no clear benefit of any sort for society.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »

Oh, believe me, it's really straining my principles to oppose the death penalty in this case. I still do, but it's a strain.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 02:37:06 PM »

No.

What do you mean by the ability to appeal? Appeal is supposed to rectify mistakes made in the initial trial, but it's not supposed to be used to assess whether someone has reformed.

Here's another story on it:
http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article109736002.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It can be tough to say that there are some people that are irredeemable and irreformable, but if anyone is, this guy is definitely one of them.

Incidentally I also read that the main reason the prosecution fought so hard for a relatively lax plea bargain is to spare his daughter the trauma of having to testify and recount all that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies