Is Putin a bigger threat than the Soviet Union ever was?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:44:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Putin a bigger threat than the Soviet Union ever was?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Putin a bigger threat than the Soviet Union ever was?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Is Putin a bigger threat than the Soviet Union ever was?  (Read 1179 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »
« edited: October 23, 2016, 03:18:41 PM by Messy Masterpiece »

Easily. Putin controls a major party candidate for President and even has a retired general in his back pocket. Odds are he probably also controls ~50 members of Congress. He also controls a vast information network/website that is spreading propaganda based on information illegally obtained by his regime throughout the globe and trying to influence the US election to his controlled candidate. Did communists ever control any generals or major party candidates?

Vladimir Putin is the greatest threat to global stability and peace since WWII.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »

My gut told me no, but as I actually started to think about it, I changed my mind. There seemed to at least be some stability guaranteed by the clear polarity of international relations at the time of the Cold War. Nuclear war was a scary prospect, but probably not that dire because both sides accepted the rules of nuclear deterrence.

Today, the United States is undoubtedly stronger than Russia, but Putin seems like a wounded animal who no longer worries about feigning neutrality or moral righteousness. Nuclear war is off the table, but Putin is willing to engage the United States in other, more subversive ways that still pose a very serious threat. And it's scary because people don't really see it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:34:43 PM »

My gut told me no, but as I actually started to think about it, I changed my mind. There seemed to at least be some stability guaranteed by the clear polarity of international relations at the time of the Cold War. Nuclear war was a scary prospect, but probably not that dire because both sides accepted the rules of nuclear deterrence.

Today, the United States is undoubtedly stronger than Russia, but Putin seems like a wounded animal who no longer worries about feigning neutrality or moral righteousness. Nuclear war is off the table, but Putin is willing to engage the United States in other, more subversive ways that still pose a very serious threat. And it's scary because people don't really see it.
He is like a real devil, isn't he?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:31:47 AM »

No.  The Cuban Missile Crisis nearly ended the world, if we agree nuclear war is off the table then Putin can't be as big a threat, much less a bigger one.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:51 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2016, 10:48:43 AM by GMantis »

Certainly not. The Russian armed forces are a pale shadow in comparison to the Soviet ones.

The converse, incidentally is true: Obama is a much greater threat to Russia than any US President since at least Eisenhower. And Clinton will be worse
PS: This is not to say that Trump would not be a worse threat than Obama, though in a different way than Clinton.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »

No.  The Cuban Missile Crisis nearly ended the world, if we agree nuclear war is off the table then Putin can't be as big a threat, much less a bigger one.
Russia still has thousands of nuclear weapons. If Putin is too much of a sissy to escalate to that level, Hillary will mop the floor with him and in 10 years, Russia will be lucky (or the rest of unlucky) if it still has any nukes.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »

Ayyy LMAO!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2016, 06:15:55 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

With the exception of giving Surface to Air missiles to Ukrainian dumbasses who shot down a passenger liner, Putin doesn't shoot down our planes. The Soviets shot down several dozen of our aircraft during the "Cold" War. I mean they murdered a sitting member of the frickin US Congress in the 1980s. The Soviets gave weapons to N. Korea and N. Vietnam which were used against our soldiers. The world almost ended during the Cuban Missile Crisis. There really is no comparison. I mean, clearly I prefer the US to Russia, but Hillary is the one talking about shooting down aircraft, not Putin. And ISIS has a sh**t ton of weapons paid for by the US, that are being used to kill Russians in Syria. Americans too.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2016, 07:06:25 PM by Zyzz »

Putin is certainly a strong leader for Russia, but Russia is a shell of its former Soviet Ghost. Russia lost roughly half it's population after the USSR dissolution and its economy suffered a cataclysmic collapse for the rest of the 1990's. In the Cold War the USSR was clearly second behind the US economically, but was able to reach parity militarily. Back in the Cold War the Soviets and their Warsaw Pact allies had 40,000 tanks ready to smash through the Fulda Gap and head to the Atlantic. Now the entirety of their old allies are now part of NATO. Even the ex Soviet Baltic Republics are now in NATO, right on Russia's doorstep.

The Russian military budget is only 60 billion dollars a year, which is dwarfed by the US , not to mention the rest of NATO as well. Russia is still a regional power that is seething over the collapse of the USSR , but it is a shell of its former self. Not to mention the ideological dynamism that Communism had in the 3rd world. African and Asian countries saw Communism and the USSR as the way to fight against Western Colonialism. Now Russia has joined the new world Capitalist order and has nothing to offer the 3rd world.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »

No. Putin is ruthless and cruel, but he's a pragmatist driven by expansion and empire, not a cult-like fanaticism.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 11:41:42 PM »

Certainly not. The Russian armed forces are a pale shadow in comparison to the Soviet ones.

The converse, incidentally is true: Obama is a much greater threat to Russia than any US President since at least Eisenhower. And Clinton will be worse
PS: This is not to say that Trump would not be a worse threat than Obama, though in a different way than Clinton.

Uh, how has Obama harmed Russia in any way? Other than retaliating against them for their pro-Trump bullsh!t.

Can you seriously not understand why American liberals wouldn't f[inks]ing HATE HATE HATE Russia if Russia supports Trump? I'm now at the point where I'd root for the Russian mob if they were having a shootout with the FSB because F[INKS] DONALD TRUMP.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 11:57:23 PM »

Uh, how has Obama harmed Russia in any way? Other than retaliating against them for their pro-Trump bullsh!t.

Can you seriously not understand why American liberals wouldn't f[inks]ing HATE HATE HATE Russia if Russia supports Trump? I'm now at the point where I'd root for the Russian mob if they were having a shootout with the FSB because F[INKS] DONALD TRUMP.

He actually didn't say that Obama had harmed Russia, but that he presented a greater threat. In the last 25 years, Russia lost many of the Soviet Union's former client states to NATO, including the Baltic states right on Russia's border. Meanwhile, the Euromaidan installed a pro-US government in Ukraine. This may seem like an unimportant piece of trivia, but Russia is understandably concerned about its Western border given that Germany invaded it twice in the 20th century. I'm no fan of Putin, but his paranoia isn't entirely unfounded.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 12:52:31 AM »

This really just depends on how much you know about Soviet-American relations.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 01:28:26 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies