Opinion of Red Dwarf
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:22:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Red Dwarf
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Thoughts on the classic British comedy?
FS

HS

Don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Opinion of Red Dwarf  (Read 760 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:34:21 PM »

I was wondering what some of you thought about one of the most classic British comedies: Red Dwarf. I would expect a lot more Brits to be aware of this show than many Americans. Personally, I became aware of the show back in 2005 thanks to a friend at the time from New Zealand who happened to be a huge fan of British comedy.

I basically spent $35 of my Christmas money in 2005 on a gamble and bought Series 1 of Red Dwarf (which was pretty expensive for just six episodes). Needless to say now, I have no regrets. I have to say Series 6 is probably the best in my view, though 5 has one of the best episodes of all (Quarantine).
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »

I don't understand british comedy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:04 AM »

meh/fs

It's fine, the premise is fun and the characters are enjoyable.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:52:16 PM »

Amusing show, always enjoyed it.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:32:23 AM »

FS. One of my favourites.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

I just don't understand comedy. What is it about certain words said in a certain way that makes people laugh?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 05:46:53 AM »

I'm glad there are two that agree with me, both American and British. I thought more people would be aware of the show, especially our British posters. Who would guys say is your favourite character and what were your favourite episodes?

As for me, I have to go with Kryten. And although it's very hard to narrow it down to three episodes, I'd say Quarantine, Legion, and Backwards. Rimmer in the gingham dress, Kryten with the Reagan mask, and the dinner in Legion are all classics.

I just don't understand comedy. What is it about certain words said in a certain way that makes people laugh?

I don't understand what's not to get. It's a British sci-fi sitcom. I watched clips from different episodes before I was convinced, but try watching one of the episodes I mentioned above. If you can't enjoy any of those, then I truly weep for your soul. My brother and I are very different people, but I managed to get him hooked on Red Dwarf. I'm actually disgusted at how cheap it is now on Amazon compared to what I was paying 10-11 years ago.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »

I'm glad there are two that agree with me, both American and British. I thought more people would be aware of the show, especially our British posters. Who would guys say is your favourite character and what were your favourite episodes?

As for me, I have to go with Kryten. And although it's very hard to narrow it down to three episodes, I'd say Quarantine, Legion, and Backwards. Rimmer in the gingham dress, Kryten with the Reagan mask, and the dinner in Legion are all classics.
Rimmer is my favourite character; his rivalry with Lister is top notch and for some reason I always end up sympathising with him. While Quarantine (WIN SELF-DETERMINATION FOR THE SOUTH MOLDAVIAN PEOPLE) and Backwards are classics, my favourite may be Polymorph, purely because of the character of DickheadKryten.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 06:04:02 AM »

This and Blackadder Goes Forth are my favourites
lacoral
Rookie
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 03:37:16 AM »