Was Carthage Systematically Burned for 17 Days?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:10:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Was Carthage Systematically Burned for 17 Days?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Carthage Systematically Burned for 17 Days?  (Read 935 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »

I am currently doing some research on the destruction of Carthage for a class and saw a reference to this on Wikipedia but was not able to find it anywhere else. Seeing as the task is to identify whether or not the destruction of Carthage could be considered a genocide under the modern definition (feel free to voice your own opinions), the "systematically" point is also fairly important. Can anyone find a reputable source for this? Was there a systematic destruction of the city besides inslaving its citizenry?

Note: I know it says that this board is for "Discussion of Presidential Election and U.S. History", but it doesn't seem like that is followed all that much.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2016, 11:42:07 PM by Vice President Lumine »

There are many interesting sources on the destruction of Carthage itself (I haven't really read much on the take of modern historians), and indeed there is a reference by the sources on a seventeen day fire.

Lucius Florius, who wrote a brief sketch of Roman history some 250 years after the event (based on Livy's work) says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Personally I cannot find that particular statement on the other sources, and Florus is known for being a bit loose with details and for putting rhetoric first.

In any case, the destruction of the city is more than well attested. Even if the fires were partly caused by the Carthaginians themselves, the Senate clearly decreed that nothing was to stand where Carthage used to be. Not only did the city suffer systematic fires and famine across the siege, but the slaves sold apparently weren't that many, most Carthagians either dying of famine, killing themselves, dying in prison or just being executed. They were literally wiped out the face of the earth instead of assimilated, and while speaking of genocide on this context has little meaning, you can certainly describe it as such under a modern perspective.

Other interesting bits from Roman and Greek historians showcase this:

Cassius Dio states:

Polybius, Scipio Aemilianus's friend writes:

Appian's account is the most gripping one for me (as it provides a good degree of detail on the gradual destruction of the city as the Romans advance during the siege), and among other things you have:

Diodorus Siculus compares it to the suffering the Greeks face around the same time over the burning and sack of Corinth:

Finally, Velleius Paterculus:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies