Which Democrat born 1970 or later is the next Sanders/Warren?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:18:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Democrat born 1970 or later is the next Sanders/Warren?  (Read 1068 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »

(In 8 years, Sanders will be in his 80's and Warren in her 70's.)

Which of the "young" (born 1970 or later) Democrats in Congress or State Houses are most likely to be the next Sanders/Warren?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »

Probably Tulsi Gabbard.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »

I think Tim Ashe has a good future ahead of him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »

Tulsi Gabbard, Ben Chipman, and Daryl Justin Finizio.

John Fetterman and Terrance Carroll come so close, being born in 1969.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:12:53 PM »

Chris Murphy for sure
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:33:01 PM »

Zephyr Teachout, a name that would make me consider doing the unthinkable and voting Republican.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:33:17 PM »

Eh, Chris Murphy strikes me as more of an establishment type.

Agreed, but it wouldn't shock me if some of the younger Senate/House Democrats move to their left over the next few years in the wake of Sanders's relatively successful candidacy.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »

Eh, Chris Murphy strikes me as more of an establishment type.

Agreed, but it wouldn't shock me if some of the younger Senate/House Democrats move to their left over the next few years in the wake of Sanders's relatively successful candidacy.

I don't disagree with you there - just look at Tulsi Gabbard's sudden transition from hawk to potential leader of the party's left. She could very well be a sign of things to come.

Plus, his starting point was "gains recognition by filibustering for hours to force a vote on gun control." So he clearly has the liberal chops
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »

Jayapal could be the next Warren. Wouldn't be a presidential candidate of course (not born in the states).
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 01:03:37 AM »

Tulsi Gabbard. And she might very well be the first non-Christian president.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »

Tulsi Gabbard or Zephyr Teachout (once she wins, of course)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2016, 11:56:59 PM by Chickenhawk »

Teachout has potential, as does Keith Ellison.

I'll go for a deep cut and cite Gary Winfield, the state senator for my hometown in CT. I suspect he's got dibs on the CT 3rd when Rosa DeLauro retires. He's a very Progressive/WFP oriented guy, and has the bio and legislative ability (dude is *productive *) to go far. He may not be the *next * Sanders/Warren, but I suspect in 15-25 years he's going to be a very important Progressive player.

While we're on the subject of CT politics... Murphy has a really good record on things other than gun control. My own personal politics denounces him as a Moderate Hero (and thus villain) due to his monomaniacal focus on mass-shootings, but he is actually pretty progressive on foreign policy and domestic manufacturing.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 12:18:56 AM »

I really liked Tulsi Gabbard at first... but this year has got me thinking she's a little unbalanced.

I'll go for a deep cut and cite Gary Winfield, the state senator for my hometown in CT. I suspect he's got dibs on the CT 3rd when Rosa DeLauro retires. He's a very Progressive/WFP oriented guy, and has the bio and legislative ability (dude is *productive *) to go far. He may not be the *next * Sanders/Warren, but I suspect in 15-25 years he's going to be a very important Progressive player.

While we're on the subject of CT politics... Murphy has a really good record on things other than gun control. My own personal politics denounces him as a Moderate Hero (and thus villain) due to his monomaniacal focus on mass-shootings, but he is actually pretty progressive on foreign policy and domestic manufacturing.
Ellison was born in '63.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 05:47:17 AM »

LOL, Gabbard's only principle is ambition.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »

I really liked Tulsi Gabbard at first... but this year has got me thinking she's a little unbalanced.

Ellison was born in '63.

Darn... well he seems very youthful then!
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »

I figured as much about Murphy. In US Politics it's hard to find someone super-left and passionate on gun control while being much farther right on other issues. I'm so bullish on Murphy because the gun issue shows his passion and gets him brownie points with the gun control base, but I had a feeling he'd hold up on other issues as well.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »

People with a similar lovable appeal who are also liberal & dedicated to their causes like Warren/Sanders are rare. Gabbard does not appear to be of the same caliber. She just seemed to get attention for her DNC thing, and that's it. It doesn't make her Warren-esque.

The only one I see potential in right now is Teachout, though I would say there are probably others that just aren't known right now.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »

Hopefully Teachout.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 02:30:24 PM »

I can honestly see that. I think she could get it in 2020 or 2024. I think she will be too much of an "insider" after that if Clinton loses. It seems that if you want to be president, you have move quickly on it. Bill was a national politician for 14 years but W only 6, and Obama only 4...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »

I can honestly see that. I think she could get it in 2020 or 2024. I think she will be too much of an "insider" after that if Clinton loses. It seems that if you want to be president, you have move quickly on it. Bill was a national politician for 14 years but W only 6, and Obama only 4...

It's always hilarious to me when people suggest that a Senator first elected in, say, 2006, such as Amy Klobuchar, has a real shot at winning the 2024 nomination. By then, people like Klobuchar, Gillibrand, or Patrick won't have the political stock to win a nationwide primary. The 2024 nominee will probably be someone first elected Governor/Senator in 2018 or 2020.
Yeah. You gotta have momentum. I think the most you experience you can have is something like Reagan's or Clinton's, where they had taken some time off. I don't think someone who has been there forever would really have a chance. It could be that the next Republican or Democratic president isn't even in office yet and might not be a politician until they decided to run for POTUS.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »

A much more important question now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies