If you were Gary Johnson ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:13:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If you were Gary Johnson ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ... would you campaign in Alaska?
Yes, I'd even live there for the next two weeks.
Yes, but I'd fly to Anchorage only once.
No, but I'd spend much money on ads and posters.
No, I wouldn't invest anything.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: If you were Gary Johnson ...  (Read 444 times)
On Fleek
on fleek
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »

Flying to and campaigning in Alaska is extremely expensive with all your staff and entourage and equipment.

Does anyone know if he has already been to Alaska this election cycle?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:53:36 PM »

Alaska, dude.... That's where, like, those crazy *inhales* crazy... Lights are, right? Man, that's crazy. Really cool... We should check out the lights... I wonder if they're like the ones I see...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:37 PM »

He should follow Gingrich's example, and "campaign" in Hawaii with his wife:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=139759.0
On Fleek
on fleek
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:20:43 PM »

He should follow Gingrich's example, and "campaign" in Hawaii with his wife:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=139759.0

Unlike Hawaii, Alaska is a real battleground state.
JMT

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »

I would live in Alaska the next two weeks. Probably Johnson's best bet to win a state, doesn't seem like he can win anywhere else. Boy would it be interesting if McMullin won Utah and Johnson got Alaska, Trump would be doomed (he already is, but you know what I mean)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »

If I were Gary Johnson, I would drop out.

Assuming that my goal is to win states though, I might campaign in Alaska; the only issue is that it has less electoral votes than Utah, so I wouldn't be able to contest the House vote with Alaska alone if McMullin manages to scrape through. So maybe a trip or two to Anchorage or something might be best.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:44:05 PM »

Idk what he's trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't put anymore money into this failure of a campaign. (This is coming from a Johnson 2012 voter)
On Fleek
on fleek
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:47:29 PM »

Boy would it be interesting if McMullin won Utah and Johnson got Alaska, Trump would be doomed (he already is, but you know what I mean)

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=249275.0  Wink
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »

I wouldn't spend a dime.

Johnson's campaign has been a royal bust.  He was in a real position to get his support up to 20% and he blew it, in no small measure, by coming off as a massive "stoner". 

Had Bill Weld been the PRESIDENTIAL nominee for the Libertarians, it may well have been a real 3-way race.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 11:19:49 PM »

What would be a success for him? Realistically anything over 1% is great for the LP. But given the unique circumstances of this year that would be something of a disappointment. Here's how I see it going:

Under 1%: Utter embarrassment. The party should have nominated Perry.

2-3%: Respectable, if slightly disappointing considering all the press and hype the ticket had in its early days.

4%: Pretty decent. It's at this level where I think Johnson will have quelled a lot of the doubters in the party and could run again in 2020 with little resistance (not that I believe he will.)

5%: Big victory lap for the LP, considering it gets them federal funds, which they'd probably take if push came to shove. A huge victory that the party would probably celebrate for decades, or until they do better(probably the former honestly). Also likely makes further former GOP office holders more tempted to jump ship and run for the party later.

6+%: the LP is Ecstatic. Johnson for all his flaws will be remembered as the right messenger for the time to capitalize on the weakness of the Republicans.

I'm hoping Johnson gets at least 5%. I give the odds maybe 50-50 of that happening. According to RCP he's at 5.9 now, but third parties do tend to collapse.

Biased observer here, but if I was a democrat in a safe state I'd probably vote for Johnson to try and get the LP to that 5% of quasi respectability and federal funds. I think it's likely that the party will continue to appeal more to the right and its future nominees are more likely to come from the GOP, meaning a stronger Libertarian party helps to weaken the Republicans. Even if only mildly.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »

The two main candidates got a wholly separate treatment.  Scandals upon scandals upon scandals and only finally has it only caught up to one of them, and only by marginally hitting him in the polls.

What did Gary Johnson do? Look like an idiot once or twice. No crimes committed. No ethics violated. Just a couple brainfarts. So then he's not suddenly fit for the presidency.  It's BS.

The main blow is the totally rigged "Commission on Presidential Debates" keeping him out even while he was polling around 25% of independents at one point and that's what you really have the debates for not the decided Ds and Rs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies