What most concerns/upsets you: affordability issues, or race-related issues?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:49:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What most concerns/upsets you: affordability issues, or race-related issues?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (round 5, final)
#1 - Income Inequality / Affording healthcare, college, childcare, housing, energy, food, transportation, retirement, leave

#2 - Race-fuelled violence / Police shootings / Bigotry / Riots / need of Criminal Justice & Voting Reform / Civil Rights

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: What most concerns/upsets you: affordability issues, or race-related issues?  (Read 1346 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:45:18 PM »

What is most concerning or upsetting to you about the current state of the USA, and why?

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY

v4: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=248339.0
v3: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=248016
v2: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=247542.0
v1: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=246335.0

-our current Race issues are deeply unsettlingly and uncomfortable to me, I didn't think our country would be here again

-so many not being able to afford so much, while not disturbing or shocking like the race/police issues, is still perpetually concerning despite it being accepted as the status quo by so many

While I think affordability is the bigger issue... I have to say that recent coverage of racial tensions, police tensions, and criminal justice unfairness have been even more emotionally upsetting for me because
1. I thought we were over it
2. At least with the affordability issues, it's because of something that can't usually be helped without really changing the economic structure and raising taxes... where with race, it could basically be solved if we were just move kind, loving, and empathetic. It's more of a sickness with our culture, and that makes it more disturbing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:49:54 PM »

I'm going to go with economic inequality, because alleviating economic inequality would also go a long way to promoting racial equality as well.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51:29 PM »

I'm going to go with economic inequality, because alleviating economic inequality would also go a long way to promoting racial equality as well.
But is it what most concerns/upsets/disturbs you, on an emotional level?

A lot of the race-related issues are due to lack of love and empathy, not lack of money.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:55:27 PM »

But is it what most concerns/upsets/disturbs you, on an emotional level?

A lot of the race-related issues are due to lack of love and empathy, not lack of money.

A lot of the economic policies that created income inequality are also due to lack of empathy.

I'm not sure which one upsets me most. In terms of single events, shootings of unarmed people are among those that get at most deeply. Same with wrongful convictions, which is another plague that disproportionally affects black people. But in everyday political debate I probably get more impassionate about socioeconomic policy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »

Race issues bother me because this sort of thing has no business existing in a modern liberal democracy. Treating another person differently based on the color of their skin is antithetical to the values upon which that democracy is predicated on.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 02:31:13 PM »

Race issues bother me because this sort of thing has no business existing in a modern liberal democracy. Treating another person differently based on the color of their skin is antithetical to the values upon which that democracy is predicated on.

While I think we treat people very differently based on how much money they have to spend and call that completely acceptable.

Solving inequality will make reducing racism easier.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »

While I think we treat people very differently based on how much money they have to spend and call that completely acceptable.

Solving inequality will make reducing racism easier.

Well, I try to treat people as individuals and not as members of a group. The only difference about money is that it is something you have a certain degree of control over (though how much of a degree that actually is depends on factors beyond your control), whereas your race is something you have no control over.

Can't disagree with inequality exacerbating race problems; I've said before that the race problems we face are attributable in large part to a few sociological factors, with one of those factors being poverty.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »

Race issues tie into economic inequality, but by themselves they merely exist in the background compared to economic issues.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »

Back in the right forum. Please vote in this final round!
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »

Back in the right forum. Please vote in this final round!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »

Well I didn't intend this, but the choice between these 2 is shaping up to be the main post-2016 debate within the Democratic Party it seems.
kyc0705

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »

Reforms in #1 could indirectly bring about reform in #2.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 10:26:06 PM »

Both are big. I don't think I can say that one is more important then the other.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:21 PM »

Reforms in #1 could indirectly bring about reform in #2.
But this thread isn't about political reforms.

Which of these 2 topics, both casting a large shadow in US political discussion, is the most personally upsetting/emotional to you?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies