Speaking of Decimalization....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:19:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Speaking of Decimalization....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Speaking of Decimalization....  (Read 818 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2005, 11:03:15 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2005, 11:04:56 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

According to the front page of the Wikipedia today:

In 1785 the dollar was unanimously chosen as the money unit for the United States. This was the first time a nation had adopted a decimal currency system.

Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 03:24:14 AM »

In 1785 the dollar was unanimously chosen as the money unit for the United States. This was the first time a nation had adopted a decimal currency system.

I'll give you two farthings and 5 schelings for that.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:44:52 AM »

Depending on the age and the conditions of those coins, you might just be ripping yourself off. Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:46:13 AM »

Damn metric currency. *Shakes fist* Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 06:47:58 AM »

Would you rather we move to hexidecimal currency? I need $1F please. $D is your change sir.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 11:01:58 AM »

Depending on the age and the conditions of those coins, you might just be ripping yourself off. Wink

Probably, I don't claim to know what I'm talking about. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 11:12:42 AM »

Five shillings is a crown, or a quarter of a Pound Sterling, or 25 new pence. Two farthings is change to insult a beggar with. (A farthing is a quarter penny.)
When the German Reichsmark was introduced in the 1870s, it was tied to the Gold Standard. One Mark equalled one British Shilling. However, while the Shilling was further subdivided into 12 pence or 48 farthings, the Mark was subdivided into 100 Pfennige. Which was new to Germans who were long used to 1 of the larger unit being 60 of the smaller one.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 11:52:13 AM »

Five shillings is a crown, or a quarter of a Pound Sterling, or 25 new pence. Two farthings is change to insult a beggar with. (A farthing is a quarter penny.)
When the German Reichsmark was introduced in the 1870s, it was tied to the Gold Standard. One Mark equalled one British Shilling. However, while the Shilling was further subdivided into 12 pence or 48 farthings, the Mark was subdivided into 100 Pfennige. Which was new to Germans who were long used to 1 of the larger unit being 60 of the smaller one.

did you ever read some of Alexander Dumas's historic novels?
trying to find your way throug that monetary system was a pain in teh ass, but I made it. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 11:53:25 AM »

trying to find your way throug that monetary system was a pain in teh ass, but I made it. Smiley
I did n aw. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »

I did n aw. Smiley

wat?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »

"I did, too."
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 01:35:57 PM »

Probably, I don't claim to know what I'm talking about. Smiley

Well, old coins in good condition are worth a lot of money to collectors, that's all.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »

Would you rather we move to hexidecimal currency? I need $1F please. $D is your change sir.

How about Hexavigesimal?

Nowadays, computer games cost $BY.  I wonder how much they were when they first came out?  $DW?  $Z?  $B?  $BLK (I may have made an error there)?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies