Political compass maps of all 50 states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:33:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Political compass maps of all 50 states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Political compass maps of all 50 states  (Read 9484 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »

You point out one (posssibly two states) that you disagree with me on & call me a hack.  I want to know what you think the social breakdown of the country is.

Oh, you're a hack for many other reasons but my main disagreement here is with PA. I don't need to post a whole U.S. map to make a case. PA does not lean to the left socially and Flyers asking for PA to be another shade of red would make us Kucinich-like on economics! Give it up, people!

Bottom line if your going to pick apart someone else's map you should at least have a map of your own
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2005, 05:44:13 PM »

You point out one (posssibly two states) that you disagree with me on & call me a hack.  I want to know what you think the social breakdown of the country is.

Oh, you're a hack for many other reasons but my main disagreement here is with PA. I don't need to post a whole U.S. map to make a case. PA does not lean to the left socially and Flyers asking for PA to be another shade of red would make us Kucinich-like on economics! Give it up, people!

i dunno keystone, i think the state does lean slightly to the left socially. but thats just my opinion.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »

SOCIAL

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 06:54:08 PM »

Social:

Economic:
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 08:10:31 PM »

i dunno keystone, i think the state does lean slightly to the left socially. but thats just my opinion.

In a state that is Pro Life, Pro Gun rights and tolerates the death penalty, how can you say we lean left on social issues?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005, 08:18:07 PM »

how can you say we lean left on social issues?
easy. first i open my mouth. then i say "PA". then i say "is". then i say "socially". then i say "liberal". then i close my mouth. its not that hard. Grin
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2005, 08:19:32 PM »

easy. first i open my mouth. then i say "PA". then i say "is". then i say "socially". then i say "liberal". then i close my mouth. its not that hard. Grin

I wouldn't call PA socially liberal, but I had to give them a color, so I gave them the weakest level of social liberalness.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »

how can you say we lean left on social issues?

Seriously. What issues am I missing? How do we lean left on social issues? How much did Flyers and Smash pay you to say we were liberal?  Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2005, 09:19:53 PM »

Colorado is not socially liberal, even slightly.  If anything, it leans very slightly to blue.  Remember Pete Coors v. Ken Salazar and Wayne Allard's successes in the state.  The socially liberal Denver and Boulder and ski resort latte liberals are slightly smaller in population than the socially conservative Colorado Springs, etc., and the Hispanic parts of South Colorado that tend to act a lot like New Mexico.

Florida also leans slightly blue.  The Gold Coast region of the state (where things are socially liberal) is overwhelmed by the extreme social conservatism of the other parts of the state.  Ask StatesRights.

So far, the most accurate social map has been Take Our Country Back's, though he overemphazies Montana's social liberalness and underestimates Idaho's social liberalness.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »

I would say Michigan is on the liberal side on both accounts.  Probably a bit more economically.  Colorado I don't know much about, but it seems more socially left than other Rocky Mtn. states.  Florida, socially is a mix (on everyone's map)  The northern part is conservative, the south, liberal.  However, I think the conservatism out weighs the liberalism (just slightly)  As for economics, the map I posted may not be too good.  The south and west, I've little knowledge of how they view the economy.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2005, 11:16:38 PM »

In a state that is Pro Life, Pro Gun rights and tolerates the death penalty, how can you say we lean left on social issues?

LOL PENNYLSVANIA IS SILLY
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2005, 11:40:56 PM »

Colorado is not socially liberal, even slightly.  If anything, it leans very slightly to blue.  Remember Pete Coors v. Ken Salazar and Wayne Allard's successes in the state.  The socially liberal Denver and Boulder and ski resort latte liberals are slightly smaller in population than the socially conservative Colorado Springs, etc., and the Hispanic parts of South Colorado that tend to act a lot like New Mexico.

Florida also leans slightly blue.  The Gold Coast region of the state (where things are socially liberal) is overwhelmed by the extreme social conservatism of the other parts of the state.  Ask StatesRights.

So far, the most accurate social map has been Take Our Country Back's, though he overemphazies Montana's social liberalness and underestimates Idaho's social liberalness.
I'm not sure why Ebowed thinks Indiana is more socially liberal than Ohio.  Indiana hasn't voted for a Democratic nominee since LBJ in 1964 while Ohio voted for Carter in 1976 and Clinton in both 1992 and 1996.

Is Minnesota conservative?  I thought that the one state that Reagan never won would be at least slightly liberal on social issues and very liberal on economic issues.

Is Arkansas really more socially conservative than ALL of the Great Plains states (Texas through North Dakota), Wyoming, and Idaho?  How did Clinton get to be so popular there?  And why didn't Clinton ever win a single Great Plains state, Wyoming, or Idaho?

Is Dixie that conservative on economic issues as everyone says?  If that's the case, then why was Dixie a Democratic stronghold before the 1960s?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2005, 12:05:26 AM »

LOL PENNYLSVANIA IS SILLY

Yeah, I should have put anti-abortion rights.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2005, 02:29:27 AM »

So far most of the social maps don't seem too bad... a tendency to exaggerate a few states though.
IMO the economic maps are waaaaay off. Methinks you hath been looking at REDSTATEBLUESTATE TM too much...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2005, 03:36:36 AM »

I'm not sure why Ebowed thinks Indiana is more socially liberal than Ohio.
I don't think that; rather, I wasn't particularly paying much attention to the percentages.  I must have overlooked Indiana when making the map.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2005, 07:55:43 AM »

Arkansas's pretty socially conservative.  You should read the newspaper editorial.  And besides that -it voted for Bush.  It would have to be socially conservative to do that considering the huge Democratic base on economic populism in the state. 
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »

Arkansas's pretty socially conservative.  You should read the newspaper editorial.  And besides that -it voted for Bush.  It would have to be socially conservative to do that considering the huge Democratic base on economic populism in the state. 
True, but I have trouble believing that Arkansas is MORE socially conservative than other states where Bush won by a much bigger margin or which no Democratic nominee has carried since Carter in 1976 or LBJ in 1964.  I have difficulty believing that Arkansas is even more socially conservative than Kansas, Idaho, Indiana, Texas, and South Carolina.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2005, 11:46:37 AM »

The economic one is very tough, but I'll give it a try

Notice how my economic map looks like the 1992-96 results, and the social one looks like the 2000-04 results.  No coincidence there. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2005, 12:20:14 PM »

Notice how my economic map looks like the 1992-96 results, and the social one looks like the 2000-04 results.  No coincidence there. 

Best economic map so far, though Louisiana is more like Arkansas in terms of shading, imo.

No other real complaints, however.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2005, 08:15:14 PM »

Best economic map so far, though Louisiana is more like Arkansas in terms of shading, imo.

No other real complaints, however.

I think NC should be Blue not red.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2005, 11:02:42 PM »

Washington is economically lean conservative. This state hates taxes, a lot. Heck, only like a quarter of Democrats voted for pro-taxes Ron Sims in the democratic primaries.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2005, 01:11:31 AM »

So far every map has Minnesota as socially liberal or leaning that way, but the tgruth is, it isn't really. Outside of the college towns like mine and the Twin Cities, there are very few socially liberal parts of the state. The reason we can elect social liberals easily and pass plenty of socially liberal legislation (like our sexual orientation protection ordinance) is because there are plenty of folks in the rural parts of the state who are smart enough to vote their economic issues rather than on wedge issues. The people in the northeast especially actually care more about their job security and government programs than gay marriage, which is rather logical considering the first two do affect them quite a bit and gay marriage does not in any way. Why they have enough intelligence to figure this out and many other people in poor and blue collar parts of the country can not is beyond me.

Most of the real nutty social conservative extremists like Michele Bachmann come from the suburbs, because the suburbs have fairly large evangelical populations. Reason 123509602398523 why the suburbs are nightmarish pits of hell.

As far as people that vote on social issues go though, it would lean socially liberal.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2005, 03:56:19 AM »

Here's my entry, going by the strict definition of the average citizen in these states:

Economic

Social
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »

Colorado is not lean socially liberal. Ever heard of Amendment 2?

The Denver metro and Boulder are socially liberal, and probably a few college towns. That's it. Colorado Springs and the rural parts sure as hell aren't. The Democratic strength everywhere outside of the Denver/Boulder area comes mostly from Hispanics, who are not socially liberal. Maybe in 10 years it will be, but not now.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2005, 12:54:46 PM »

Here's my entry, going by the strict definition of the average citizen in these states:

Economic

Social

looks right to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies