Anti-white racism from the regressive left at Berkeley.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:39:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anti-white racism from the regressive left at Berkeley.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Anti-white racism from the regressive left at Berkeley.  (Read 3708 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2016, 04:43:52 PM »

I notice that since my post there's been a lot of snarky "lol whites" posts and 0 actual responses or answers.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »

If this type of thing continues, it will encourage people to support Trumpism.

Yes, as someone on the left I'm beating my head into the wall everytime I read a democratic poster write:

"LOL White people"

"You can't be racist against White people"

etc.

The people writing those things are enemies of the progressive movement, and everytime they speak and no one on the Left speak against them, they alienate people from the Left, which is why a complete ****** ******* ********* like Trump do as well as he does.

I don't know how race-relations in Denmark are, but in America things are getting increasingly polarized.  Essentially, one group says that there is no more racism, and that anyone who suggests otherwise wants to start a race war.  They believe that hatred of whites is widespread among blacks and Hispanics (Asians are usually not mentioned).  The other group sees racism behind every corner and denies that racism against whites is even possible.  They believe that the majority of whites are racists.

Ultimately, I think that the vast majority of the population is somewhere in the middle, but the extremists are the loudest voices heard.  I hate it so much because for our leaders it's some sort of political game they can use to their advantage.  If left unchecked it might destroy this country.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2016, 06:18:37 PM by Happy Sad Trumpista »

Ultimately, I think that the vast majority of the population is somewhere in the middle, but the extremists are the loudest voices heard.  I hate it so much because for our leaders it's some sort of political game they can use to their advantage.  If left unchecked it might destroy this country.
The main problem [at least in Sweden] is that media loudly condemns white extremists. Only.

In Sweden there were an accident similar to Cologne

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/09/german-official-says-18-asylum-seekers-among-cologne-attack-suspects.html

The police elite in Sweden choose to cover it up, because they were "afraid" that Trump'ish party would grow. Only after Cologne, the truth got uncovered. 6 month after the accident..
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2016, 07:45:47 PM »

*I'm aware of the misspelling, but this is what I mean by "regressive left". They've definitely regressed.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2016, 09:46:21 PM »

As long as it's not using public dollar, I don't care.

I don't know about you guys, but it was wayyy worse in the 60's and 70's. Sh*t, you ever see the New Left's protests back then?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2016, 04:49:18 AM »

They actually had things to protest about back then.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »

They actually had things to protest about back then.
There are still things to protest about

I'm serious, this really isn't new nor is it as bad as it was forty to fifty years ago. There were way more nutters back then.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2016, 10:11:20 AM »

This forum is in dire need of a safe space, it seems.

Yes, white guys only make up like 98% of this forum. So oppressed!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2016, 01:32:21 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2016, 01:34:01 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

ITT: People who think they have an idea what this is actually about.

Second, "queer alliance resource center...?" Some of these demands sometimes seem like legitimate parody.]

A. Queer people on campus actually want a resource center.
B. The resource center already exists (as it does on other campuses throughout the country).
C. The reason why the students were protesting was because the resource center as well as the person-of-color recruitment and retention centers are in the basement of a building that's still unsound and has had problems with things like contaminated water. What started this whole thing in the first place was a white board that was supposed to be on a wall falling on a student.

The point of the topic (for me at least) is less that the protestors don't have a point and more that their methods were objectionable. People have a right to use Sather Gate. It's a terrible thing to simply deprive them of that right because they're white.

PiT, they blocked everyone from Sather Gate, not just white students. I had to go through the side and I can tell you there were a ton of non-white people there with me. The only people I think they let through were students with disabilities.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »

If this type of thing continues, it will encourage people to support Trumpism.

Yes, as someone on the left I'm beating my head into the wall everytime I read a democratic poster write:

"LOL White people"

"You can't be racist against White people"

etc.

The people writing those things are enemies of the progressive movement, and everytime they speak and no one on the Left speak against them, they alienate people from the Left, which is why a complete ****** ******* ********* like Trump do as well as he does.

I don't know how race-relations in Denmark are,

Fundamental different

Outside the few Greenlanders who have migrated to Denmark, we lack the colonial hangovers, and the Greenlanders was everybit as good colonial subjects as we was colonial overlords to them. Pretty well functioning except some minor issues, so there's relative few troubles no matter what stereotypes say about them. The descendants of our West Indies slaves, who migrated to Denmark are pretty White by now. While we sold of our Africa and Indian colonies before they could give us any post-colonial hangover. While the other minority on the

So the racial issues in Denmark are essential Muslims versus the rest of society, outside them and Romanis pretty much every other immigrant groups are pretty well functioning. None have higher employment rates than Danes except for the Dutch immigrants, but several have lower crime rate (most western groups plus Chinese and Indians).

So we pretty much lack the underlying guilt and historical discrimination which are part of the context of White-Black relationship in USA.

Also 89% of the Danish population are ethnic Danes. While around 4% are immigrants (and 1st generation descendants) from other western countries. 7% are non-Western immigrants (and 1st generation descendants), between 4-5% of the population are Muslims. So while there exist a fear of being overwhelmed by the "Muslim hordes", most people get that the idea are pretty much a joke.

The main hostility toward immigrants (it pretty much mean Muslims when people say it) is that they have massive unemployment and high crime rates (through pretty low by the standard of most countries). As Denmark are a welfare state, this makes these people quite expensive and it doesn't help that the main pro-immigration party (the social liberals) want to pay for increased immigration through raising the pension age faster than planned. I as a person in my mid thirties can if we keep the existing rise get the public pension as 73 year old, they plan to raise that.

Of course Danes and most Muslim groups cultural behaviour also fit pretty badly on pretty much all points from making eye contact to child raising.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting points you make, it's alway interestings to read a slightly difference view than you usual read.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »

Second, "queer alliance resource center...?" Some of these demands sometimes seem like legitimate parody.]

B. The resource center already exists (as it does on other campuses throughout the country).
C. The reason why the students were protesting was because the resource center as well as the person-of-color recruitment and retention centers are in the basement of a building that's still unsound and has had problems with things like contaminated water. What started this whole thing in the first place was a white board that was supposed to be on a wall falling on a student.

The point of the topic (for me at least) is less that the protestors don't have a point and more that their methods were objectionable. People have a right to use Sather Gate. It's a terrible thing to simply deprive them of that right because they're white.

PiT, they blocked everyone from Sather Gate, not just white students. I had to go through the side and I can tell you there were a ton of non-white people there with me. The only people I think they let through were students with disabilities.

That's different from what (few seconds of footage, admittedly) was in videos I saw, but even if they did block everyone that's still pretty bad. We don't get to control the movement of fellow civilians on public property.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 09:24:11 PM »

That's different from what (few seconds of footage, admittedly) was in videos I saw, but even if they did block everyone that's still pretty bad. We don't get to control the movement of fellow civilians on public property.

That's because it's not true.  1:30 in the video is where they let non-whites through.

Judging from the footage of students crossing the creek it looks like no asians were allowed to pass either.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »

Uh, I'm not sure what kind of response the forum's resident racists crave from the left here. Without an unbiased source, I can't say anything substantive about this because I don't understand the context of this protest. What I can say is that the actions of a few students at Berkeley or Yale or Harvard are not symmetrical with the actions of the American Fascist Party. "Students of color" at these institutions are totally unrepresentative of their communities and, for the most part, are angling for grievance positions in the middle class. For this reason, I don't particularly feel like defending them but, I'm not sure how these protests constitute any sort of meaningful threat to white people.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »

You can't be racist against white people.  Racism implies the systematic unequal treatment of a group, something white American's definitely don't go through.

So let's say there's a Korean woman at the MIT admissions office who believes that whites have smaller brains and less opportunity for achievement than asians, that they don't work as hard, and that the white race is just lazy and has less work ethic than asians.  So whenever she gets a resume from someone who sounds like they have a white name, she immediately discards it.

Is that racism?  LOL no white americans aren't systematically oppressed so they can't experience racism!

How about some poor white kid on a playground at a mostly black school.  Every day the other boys play sports but they refuse to let him play because he's white -- they say "oh you're white you're too weak" and "white boys don't play basketball."  When girls are around sometimes they make fun of him for having "milk skin" and saying he smells like mayonnaise, and they ask him how large his penis is and laugh about how "he won't say because all white boys have tiny penises."

Is that racism?  LOL no white americans aren't systematically oppressed so they can't experience racism!

So tell me, what IS that?

Also, isn't what's happening in this video an example of systematic oppression against white students within the system of U.C. Berkeley?  Is the national level the lowest scale onto which it's possible to claim racism due to widespread systematic oppression at that scale, or if, for example, Arizona systematically oppressed hispanics but no other state did so, could hispanics claim racism at the state level -- in Arizona but not in Virginia?  If New Orleans passed a law saying it was a city "by black people, for black people" and saying they didn't want white people to dilute the core of black culture so they were barred from most restaurants, bars, and clubs and had to use whites-only amenities, and then there was a curfew and they weren't allowed to participate in Mardi Gras or the New Orleans funerals, would whites be able to say they were being systematically oppressed as a race at the city level?  Would it then be racist for an admissions counselor for Tulane University to throw out all white applications in a way that it wouldn't be for one at MIT?

If so, are not the complaints about racism in the other scenarios valid as well?  Whites are systematically oppressed at Berkeley.  They are systematically oppressed on the playground at my hypothetical mostly black school.  They are systematically oppressed within the small network of people whose applications go through this woman's hands.  Am I wrong?  What level becomes too small?
If not, why not?

That's an interesting hypothetical there. Fortunately, it's entirely fictional. It's unsourced garbage that you invented to draw a parallel between the (nonexistent) hardships of being white in America and the (actually existing) hardships of being Black. While it's true that Black kids might tease White kids sometimes by referring to various stereotypes about White people, when Black kids are called the n-word, called slaves and told to go back to Africa (all common experiences in any elementary school, middle school or high school), these words are a threat because the system as a whole discriminates against Black people. African-Americans are more likely to be expelled or suspended for infractions that, if committed by white students, would result in verbal chastisement. When African-Americans are truant, they're treated as criminals. When they act like juvenile brats, they're treated as criminals. In general, institutional discrimination against African-Americans begins at pre-school. There have been studies demonstrating that, without any sort of doubt, Black students are discriminated against by elementary school teachers.

If you want to whine about how difficult it is to be White in America, I'm not going to stop you. It's difficult existing as a human being on this Earth. You can be White and depressed or White and poor or White and gay or a White woman etc. None of these hardships are exacerbated by the sole fact of being White though so it's best to focus on the causal factor that can actually explain whatever, uh, hardship you're going through instead of looking at Mexicans and African-Americans and calling us beaners and jigaboos in the register of a respectable white man. I won't stand for this.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/education/black-students-face-more-harsh-discipline-data-shows.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/06/07/black-students-nearly-4x-likely-suspended/85526458/

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/08/teachers-say-no-disparate-impact-discipline/402144/

huh I am not sure what the bigger issue is here: a few Black kids being bullies towards white students or a labyrinthine institutional structure that, at every turn, disadvantages students of color and generates privileges for white students. 
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »

*I'm aware of the misspelling, but this is what I mean by "regressive left". They've definitely regressed.

Uh, you do realize that the New Left was vastly more "regressive" than the contemporary left, right? In the 1960s, leftists were proud to associate themselves with Marx, Mao and Guevara. Now, leftists are vastly more likely to associate themselves with anarchism or the green movement etc. In the 1960s, leftists engaged in terrorism and active attempts to murder and kidnap their opponents. Now, leftists spam people with tweets.

I don't think you understand history son. Better hit the books!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »

http://www.dailycal.org/2016/10/27/uc-berkeleys-qarc-bridges-student-groups-history-issues-media-misconceptions/

The campus actually consulted eyewitnesses including police officers (which is rather easy to do as the campus's police station is adjacent to the gate) who corroborated that race didn't play a role in whether or not a student was let through the gate.

If the point of a protest is to be disruptive and visible then they achieved that goal. I don't see this as any more problematic as for example, protesting on a freeway. I'd be more sympathetic to the movement argument if it wasn't for the fact that there are several ways to get around the gate, some of which were no more than 30 seconds away.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2016, 02:30:42 AM »

Interesting hypothetical, but while black people can certainly be racist, I don't think any black person wants to believe porn stereotypes, no matter how 'positive' they are.

Also, oddly enough, one of the nations that consumes the most mayonnaise on earth is the Congo.
Wade McDaniel
Rookie
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 04:13:46 AM »

Uh, you do realize that the New Left was vastly more "regressive" than the contemporary left, right? In the 1960s, leftists were proud to associate themselves with Marx, Mao and Guevara. Now, leftists are vastly more likely to associate themselves with anarchism or the green movement etc. In the 1960s, leftists engaged in terrorism and active attempts to murder and kidnap their opponents. Now, leftists spam people with tweets.

I don't think you understand history son. Better hit the books!

You're right but it's only because they learned quickly that they can't associate themselves with Marx and get elected to office.  Now they sell it as asking the rich to "pay their fair share."  One sounds better than the other.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 05:32:06 AM »

Yeah, the only thing I really get from a lot of commentary in this thread is that people (even right-wingers, bizarrely)  have a very romantacised image of the original New Left. Maybe it's a mirror of when left-wing liberals today treat the old GOP as some kind of lovely EPA-making highway-building bunch of closet socialists.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2016, 05:34:04 AM »

Also is "regressive left" the new Orwellian buzzword standing in place of "cultural Marxists" or whatever? I've seen it pop up a lot lately.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2016, 02:12:22 PM »

Also is "regressive left" the new Orwellian buzzword standing in place of "cultural Marxists" or whatever? I've seen it pop up a lot lately.

that basically sums it up, yeah.  It popped up when people began to notice that "cultural marxism" was a term first used by the Nazis (well them it was "cultural Bolshevism" but its close enough) and that's not exactly something that people want to be associated with really...
Wade McDaniel
Rookie
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2016, 08:13:36 PM »

I want my rights back.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »

Uh, I'm not sure what kind of response the forum's resident racists crave from the left here. Without an unbiased source, I can't say anything substantive about this because I don't understand the context of this protest. What I can say is that the actions of a few students at Berkeley or Yale or Harvard are not symmetrical with the actions of the American Fascist Party. "Students of color" at these institutions are totally unrepresentative of their communities and, for the most part, are angling for grievance positions in the middle class. For this reason, I don't particularly feel like defending them but, I'm not sure how these protests constitute any sort of meaningful threat to white people.

LOL, you said that sentence like these weren't perfectly compatible things!
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2016, 10:52:06 PM »

LOL what rights have you lost? The right to be racist? Nah you still have that right in Mississippi.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies