Struggling Arch conservative small business owners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:03:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Struggling Arch conservative small business owners
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Struggling Arch conservative small business owners  (Read 879 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2016, 04:20:15 PM »

Do these people who claim tbey make less than thier employees but like to talk about independent they are rich poor people or poor rich people?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »

Poor rich people for sure.  These are the ones that tend to be part of the Masons or Knights of Columbus or the Rotary and tend to elect each other to local government but also like to act like they're struggling up there on the hill overlooking town in their modest-sized-but-gaudy-pillared-house.

The good ole boys...or where I grew up... 'the town fathers'...luckily my town has removed them from power and they're more or less dying off.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »

Depends. If they're just starting up or recently self-financed large capital investments, I suppose they could be considered poor rich people, but if they've been making less than their employees for a long time, they probably only started a business because they were too incompetent to get a real job.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »

Do these people who claim tbey make less than thier employees but like to talk about independent they are rich poor people or poor rich people?

Could you try translating that again?  Maybe with a little less smug disbelief in the idea that running a successful small business is hard work?

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »

If you go strictly by what they report to the IRS they would be considered poor. But in reality they just write everything off and hide most of their income to show no income or a loss and are actually doing very well.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »

Poor rich people for sure.  These are the ones that tend to be part of the Masons or Knights of Columbus or the Rotary and tend to elect each other to local government but also like to act like they're struggling up there on the hill overlooking town in their modest-sized-but-gaudy-pillared-house.

The good ole boys...or where I grew up... 'the town fathers'...luckily my town has removed them from power and they're more or less dying off.
A very good description. I also liked Adam Griffin's assault on the "affluent poor rich evangelicals" who backed Ted Cruz this year and why the party is revolting against them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »

Could you try translating that again?  Maybe with a little less smug disbelief in the idea that running a successful small business is hard work?

Depends. If they're just starting up or recently self-financed large capital investments, I suppose they could be considered poor rich people, but if they've been making less than their employees for a long time, they probably only started a business because they were too incompetent to get a real job.

Interesting pov's amongst even the right, huh?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »

I don't know what version of capitalism people in this thread are experiencing that is so friendly to small business that it's a surefire way to get rich but please send it my way because I've seen way too many great small businesses disappear.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 04:44:48 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2016, 05:18:58 PM by DC Al Fine »

It ranges. Small business owners are taking on a risk and will be compensated better for taking on risk on average. There will still be a portion who will do poorly and struggle.

I don't know what version of capitalism people in this thread are experiencing that is so friendly to small business that it's a surefire way to get rich but please send it my way because I've seen way too many great small businesses disappear.

If running a small business is such easy money, why don't all the college kids and working stiffs making $40k drop what they're doing and start a small business? Seems like an easy way to make $100k. Roll Eyes

If you go strictly by what they report to the IRS they would be considered poor. But in reality they just write everything off and hide most of their income to show no income or a loss and are actually doing very well.

This is not remotely reflective of how actual small business corporate tax reporting is done.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »

Some small business owners are rich, some should file for bankruptcy. I see so many fails in Hudson, but then some do hit the mother lode. This lady in her late 20's, converted a car repair garage into a bar, and it is now the hottest bar in town, mostly you young straights (yeah, Hudson does have some straight youngs, believe it or not). She must be making six figures now in profit. She was interested in renting an apartment from me before getting going, and I urged her to rent a dump, so she had a pad for her business. She took my advice. Now she could buy a building. Heck she might be able to buy the building she rent for the bar.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »

I think the stereotypical example of what I think of is the small town good ole boys in "middleman" lines of work that really create no economic value but provide a steady stream of income to underwrite their sense of self-importance.

Car dealers, insurance agency owners and fast food franchise owners are the worst offenders. Go to a Chamber of Commerce or Republican Party meeting in a rural county and you'll meet these people.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »

Ever since Tesla started trying to get permission to do direct selling, you've seen these people (the car dealers) come out of the woodwork when state legislatures vote.

They go on and on about how they're ENTREPRENEURS and JOB CREATORS and letting car manufacturers go around them directly to consumers is an assault on FREE ENTERPRISE.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 10:06:46 AM »

I think the stereotypical example of what I think of is the small town good ole boys in "middleman" lines of work that really create no economic value but provide a steady stream of income to underwrite their sense of self-importance.

Car dealers, insurance agency owners and fast food franchise owners are the worst offenders. Go to a Chamber of Commerce or Republican Party meeting in a rural county and you'll meet these people.

Franchisees provide value by providing a ready source of capital for rapid expansion. Car dealers in particular provide a lot of capital, given the costs of running a car store/service department.

I've no idea about the legal situation, but it seems like Tesla will have to adopt a dealership model at some point if they want to be a major car company. Tesla sold something like 40k cars last year to relatively wealthy, high information buyers. Its going to be hard for them to sell millions of cars to non car enthusiasts without setting up physical stores, and that costs huge money.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »

A very good description. I also liked Adam Griffin's assault on the "affluent poor rich evangelicals" who backed Ted Cruz this year and why the party is revolting against them.

Let's revisit this in four years and see how well the revolt against a majority of the party worked out.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 05:21:29 PM »

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the Republican Party isn't the party of Industry and Innovation, but the party of Protectionism and Trusts. Basically what the Democratic Party basically was. And now the Democrats are the new Republicans- those who believe infrastructure (railroads, national banks ...now Healthcare reform and public transportation), science(industrialization (now biotechnology, AI, and digital media)), reduced barriers of entry and Civil Rights (Free Trade and Abolitionism (now free trade, increased public education and civil rights ) will provide Americans the path to growth.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »

Let's revisit this in four years and see how well the revolt against a majority of the party worked out.
The majority of the party that nominated Trump??
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »

The majority of the party that nominated Trump??

majority
[muh-jawr-i-tee, -jor-]

noun, plural majorities.
the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority ):
the majority of the population.

English is of course my second language, but I'm pretty sure that's not how the word "majority" works
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 04:06:14 PM »

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the Republican Party isn't the party of Industry and Innovation, but the party of Protectionism and Trusts. Basically what the Democratic Party basically was. And now the Democrats are the new Republicans- those who believe infrastructure (railroads, national banks ...now Healthcare reform and public transportation), science(industrialization (now biotechnology, AI, and digital media)), reduced barriers of entry and Civil Rights (Free Trade and Abolitionism (now free trade, increased public education and civil rights ) will provide Americans the path to growth.
Hydera

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 09:18:29 PM »

Ever since Tesla started trying to get permission to do direct selling, you've seen these people (the car dealers) come out of the woodwork when state legislatures vote.

They go on and on about how they're ENTREPRENEURS and JOB CREATORS and letting car manufacturers go around them directly to consumers is an assault on FREE ENTERPRISE.

And attacking food stamps, medicaid and other welfare programs. Which is going to help them if their business fails and they need something to help them get back on their feet?   Safety net programs or more tax cuts?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »

And attacking food stamps, medicaid and other welfare programs. Which is going to help them if their business fails and they need something to help them get back on their feet?   Safety net programs or more tax cuts?
But in thier mind bigger risks always means bigger rewards. There is a flip side they spend about complacency that us Democrats (no bed wetting, no motivation) totally understand but...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies