Atlas Throwback: 1975 edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:08:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas Throwback: 1975 edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Throwback: 1975 edition  (Read 1115 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2016, 07:13:13 PM »

In October, 1975 what would atlas users say?

I think it's pretty clear that Ford is going to lose easily next fall. I'd say Udall is the favorite unless Ted Kennedy decides to jump in. I wouldn't count McGovern out either, he was on paper an ideal candidate in terms of being a war hero, he was just unfairly tared by his association with the long hairs. Now that Vietnam's over giving him the nomination would be a nice way of making up for last time.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:56:17 PM »

Udall, Bayh, and Lindsay are my favorite potential Democratic nominees. I'd also vote for Reubin Askew, Stuart Symington, Lloyd Bentsen, and Fred Harris. Of Republicans, I'd support Ford or Baker. Ford will be greatly respected by future historians for his courage and integrity, despite what all the mainstream media says.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 12:38:02 AM »

I think Reagan will put up a good fight for the nomination
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 03:02:27 AM »

I think Reagan will put up a good fight for the nomination

lol, Republicans will never go down that road again. They learned their lesson after Goldwater. If he couldn't win there's no way in hell they could get some b movie actor. He's more likely to make another Bonzo movie.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 04:58:44 AM »

I hope Frank Church runs. I've always liked him but the CIA hearings convinced me he must be our next President.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »

Who's this 'James Carter'? Like, I've literally never heard of him.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »

Some peanut farmer and one term governor of Georgia. He has no chance because Wallace has a lock on the south and there's no way in hell that he wins any northern states either. Seems like a nice guy though I think he has a lousy record on civil rights.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 07:45:05 AM »

Some peanut farmer and one term governor of Georgia. He has no chance because Wallace has a lock on the south and there's no way in hell that he wins any northern states either. Seems like a nice guy though I think he has a lousy record on civil rights.

Eh, some people said Nixon could never stage a comeback after losing to Kennedy, but he did. Plus, the "Washington outsider" mentality could be at play. Ever since Watergate was exposed, people have been wondering what other dirty tricks their leaders could be up to.

Carter's obscurity could actually be an advantage. He's able to easily play up the outsider angle, plus apparently he's also a pretty genial guy. I think that this, coupled with the new nominating system, could make him a serious candidate.

Mark my words, he is going to give the Democratic bosses, particularly Humphrey, a right shock.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 12:12:22 PM »

Don't underestimate him. I think he might have a shot at winning this thing.

lol. Some Georgia hick has literally no shot against Ted Kennedy or Mo Udall. Get real.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »

Don't underestimate him. I think he might have a shot at winning this thing.

lol. Some Georgia hick has literally no shot against Ted Kennedy or Mo Udall. Get real.

Jimmy Carter has no chance against intellectual powerhouses like Udall and Bayh. He might beat Kennedy one on one just because of Democrats like Scoop Jackson and Terry Sanford, who ideologically agree more with Kennedy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

You guys are thinking about the election? Psh. Dude just smoke some grass, put on All in the Family or that new Dylan album and just like relax man.

(I'd imagine in the context of those times I'd have been a fierce McGovern supporter over the issue of the Vietnam while still defending Richard Nixon on the whole. I also imagine that I won't be driving around with my dad and Uncle Gary shooting out streetlights with Saturday Night Specials either, which was probably what they were doing at this time in '75)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies