Hong Kong Chief Executive election, 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:52:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hong Kong Chief Executive election, 2017
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Leung Chun-ying (I-inc)

John Tsang Chun-wah  (I)

Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee (NPP)

Jasper Tsang Yok-sing (DAB)

Antony Leung Kam-chung (I)

Audrey Eu (CP)

Alan Leong Kah-kit (CP)

James To (DP)

Raymond Wong Yuk-man (I/PPI)

Woo Kwok-hing (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Hong Kong Chief Executive election, 2017  (Read 9160 times)
peterthlee
China

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2016, 09:33:54 AM »
« edited: April 02, 2017, 11:54:36 PM by peterthlee »

Here it begins.
Though this election is not a universal suffrage (or a free election), it is still worth discussing as the handpicked 'winner' could signal a realignment of Beijing insiders' policies on my home region.
The election is constitutionally scheduled on 26 March 2017.

Background information page with opinion polls tracking (from Wikipedia)

Incumbent Leung Chun-ying (I) ruled out re-election on 9 December 2016, leaving the seat open.
------------------------------------------------
Candidate list (candidates with ✓ have explicitly mentioned their intention to run, with ✓✓ submitted application form, purple colour indicating winner)

Pro-Establishment Camp
1/ Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor (I), chief secretary for administration 2012-2017 (reversed her previous mind not to run); secretary for development 2007-2012 ✓ 12/1/2017 ✓✓ 28/2/2017
Votes: 777 ☑
2/ John Tsang Chun-wah (I), Financial Secretary 2007-2017 ✓ 18/1/2017 ✓✓ 25/2/2017
Votes: 365
Pan-democratic Camp and Localist Camp
declined to support any exploring candidates from their own camp
Other notable Individuals
1/ Woo Kwok-hing (I), retired High Court Judge and former Electoral Commission President ✓ 29/10/2016 ✓✓ 26/2/2017
Votes: 21
peterthlee
China

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2017, 11:55:28 PM by peterthlee »

Bumping for vote maximization.
---------------------------------------
Local news: the National People's Congress standing committee is considering a re-interpretation of the Basic Law to strip Youngspiration's Sixtus "Baggio" Leung Chung-hang (MP for New Territories East since 2016) and Yau Wai-ching (MP for Kowloon West since 2016) of their seats in LegCo. Both pronounced "China" as "Shina", once-neutral-turned-derogatory word referring to China by militarists in wartime Japan, with Yau replacing Republic by 're-f**king', during their oath-taking. This has been drawing stern criticisms from both PE Camp and the Non-Establisment Camp. Petition to remove them from their seats broke 1.2M a few days ago. Yau and Leung are deemed 'unqualified' to exercise their duty as MPs.

Chris Ip Ngo-tung (DAB, President of Yau Tsim Mong District Council), Wong Kwok-hing (FTU, MP for Labour Sector 2004-2008, New Territories West 2008-2012 and Hong Kong Island 2012-2016), Frederick Fung (ADPL, MP for Kowloon West 1991-1997, 1998-2012 and DC (Second) 2012-2016), Tam Kwok-kiu and Ho Kai-ming (ADPL, Sham Shui Po DC members) are eyeing for the potential seat currently held by Yau.

Gary Fan Kwok-wai (ND, MP for New Territories East 2012-2016) and Bill Tang Ka-piu (FTU, MP for Labour Sector 2012-2016) are cementing their dreams to re-enter the legislature given that Leung's seat will likely end up being vacant.

I'm going to be bold and say Chris Ip and Bill Tang will make their road to victory, resulting in PE Camp's majority in both FC seats and DE seats, due to public frustration on the duo.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 08:51:50 AM »

Are you living in Hong Kong?
peterthlee
China

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2016, 10:53:47 PM by peterthlee »

Re Crabcake:
Yes, I'm living in Tsuen Wan District (please proceed to see my profile), and I'm currently a first-year medical student from the University of Hong Kong (HKU).
I'm a pan-Chinese nationalist. I'm inclined to support HRC, though pan-Chinese nationalist are usually swayed to Trump's column.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:11:10 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2017, 08:43:01 PM by peterthlee »

John Tsang Chun-wah (I), a serious contender for this race (as viewed by most pundits) and incumbent Financial Secretary, reportedly (allegedly) lobbied the Central Government to allow him to participate. However, his will was 'discouraged', according to Sing Tao Daily.

Meanwhile, Woo Kwok-hing (I), the only exploring/ declared candidate, reiterated that the Youngspiration duo's mischievous act during oath-taking was 'inappropriate' and stressed that the formulation and implementation of Article 23 of the Basic Law was 'imminent' and 'necessary'. However, he had reservations about the interpretation of Article 104 of the Basic Law, which was a de facto declaration on the illegitimacy of Youngspiration duo's seats by only allowing them to take oath ONCE in the first grand assembly ONLY.

Regarding the by-elections, the PE Camp will probably assign Chris Ip Ngo-tung (DAB, Yau Tsim Mong District Council President) to fill Yau's seat and Wong Kwok-hing (FTU, MP 2004-2016) to fill Leung's seat. Public frustration on the duo blossomed, and the both are expected to win, albeit narrowly. No PE Camp members have won a single-seat by-election since the handover.

Frederick Fung (ADPL, MP 1991-1997, 2000-2016) has been mourning his late mom's sudden death, and ADPL's resources have a risk of depletion. These greatly reduced his chance of a potential candidacy. In the wake of PE Camp's snowballing chance of a stunning win, non-establishment has considered sending wildcards to hope for an upset. Louisa Mak, Miss Hong Kong Pageant 2015, a top-scorer in HKCEE 2009 and the University of Cambridge LLB Graduate (Second Class Honour, Class of 2014) was petitioned to run for Yau's seat. Mak declined subsequently.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad to see that we have a clear plurality winner of the Atlas mock poll: Incumbent chief-executive Leung Chun-ying (I).

peterthlee
China

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 02:40:43 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2016, 07:23:02 AM by peterthlee »

BREAKING:
Ruling of the High Court conforms to the re-interpretation of the Basic Law Article 104 by the NPCSC, meaning that the duo's seats are declared vacant. The duo do not rule out the possibility of appealing to the Final Court of Appeal (it would be a long shot given the circumstances).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 20:20, 15/11/2016 (HKT): Raymond Wong Yuk-man (I/PPI) played down and even declined his potential candidacy in the by-election of Yau's vacant seat.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 04:08:28 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2016, 05:12:34 AM by peterthlee »

Jasper Tsang Yok-sing (DAB), former president of the Legislative Council, mentioned that there are 'several' (to be specific, at least 3) possible contenders for the top post in HK among pro-establishmnet/ pro-Beijing hopefuls, and some of them will not seek the Central Government's consent for running.

In the meantime, Incumbent Leung Chun-ying (I) embarked on a string of district-wide consultations with an array of regional figures such as district councillors. The mass media in Hong Kong pointed out that it was a clear signal for Leung to seek re-election in 2017.

John Tsang Chun-wah (I), current Financial Secretary, was reported to run without Beijing's approval. His office played down this 'hoax' immediately.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the aftermath of the High Court's ruling, Demosisto secretary-general Joshua Wong visited the Capitol of the US, in a bid to 'spread pro-democracy and self-determination message' around the world. He called on President-elect Donald Trump (R-NY) to 'lodge his concern on human right development in Hong Kong'. Beijing slapped him swiftly through writing a letter to the Wall Street Journal, staunchly arguing that any US officials should not meddle with any internal affairs of China. The President-elect has yet to comment.

He was reported to have an internal meeting with Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and his fellow Tom Cotton (R-AR). Rubio was reported to encourage 'localism and democracy development in Hong Kong' and will 'advocate it in the Senate', praising Wong 'time is on your side'. During their meeting, the former GOP presidential hopeful, together with Cotton, petitioned to sanction Chinese officials who 'have repressed Hong Kong's freedom'. The Senate has yet to debate on the bill.

Footnote: this comment uses Atlas Multipartisan Colour Code, meaning red for Democrats and Blue for Republicans, instead of the reverse, which is now commonly used worldwide.

[Last modified by peterthlee at 18:12, 17/11/2016 (HKT)]
peterthlee
China

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 05:38:37 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2016, 05:41:43 AM by peterthlee »

Letter from the Chinese Government to the Editor of WSJ (key points):
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1018496.shtml

Press Release from Rubio's office regarding the bill (retrieved from his official website):
http://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ContentRecord_id=3EB7C87F-143D-473D-89A2-32547264EC22
peterthlee
China

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 10:22:46 AM »

Long haven't I updated this post.
-----------------------------------------
1/ Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee (NPP) was speculated to quit the Executive Council and join the ferocious race. She played down this rumour earlier.

2/ HK01, a center-pro-establishment newspaper, once made a groundbreaking statement in their editorial that Leung Chun-ying (I-inc) would be 'discouraged' by the central government to run for re-election. However, this contradicted with many political pundits, which claimed 'the re-interpretation by the NPCSC was a shot in the arm for the incumbent'.

3/ Some 'internal news' mentioned that John Tsang Chun-wah (I), the Financial Secretary, has already formed his election cohort. Tsang did not admit nor dismiss it.

4/ Woo Kwok-hing (I), the only declared contender, launched his facebook page. This move is largely symbolical: his vision for the top office in Hong Kong is real.

5/ Former DAB member Wu Sai-tsuen (I), a perennial candidate, declared his candidacy on 24 Nov 2016. His candidacy has not received much attention than Woo's, as he could not even make it to the electoral college nomination. Notably, he made clear that should he be elected, every citizen would have 10000 HKD surplus (per capita).

As I am heading into examination period in the University of Hong Kong (HKU), the page would not be updated frequently. Folks, I cordially pledge all of you to bump this thread. Though it may not be as 'direct' as Western models, it could provide a periscope into China's domestic and foreign policy. Hong Kong is essentially a condensed model for Chinese politics.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »

Today, Sing Tao Daily again mentioned that John Tsang Chun-wah (I) was discouraged again by Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Minister Wang Guangya in Beijing.

The newspaper's claim was denounced by media guru and former radio anchor Lee Wai-ling (a tilt-non-establishment figure), who said that "such important news would be the headliner instead of appearing in 'political gossip' page".
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Youngspiration duo's appeal was rejected unanimously by the co-judges in the High Court on 30 Nov. They failed to make their way to the Court of Final Appeal today, meaning that the LegCo could gazette their vacancies.

Propelled by the success, the government would like the court to declare the oath of fellow MP Lau Siu Lai (DG) of Kowloon West invalid. This prompted non-establishment MPs to rally around Lau on the same day, denouncing this move as 'political persecution' to increase the Establishments' chances in the 2017 by-election under a proportional representative system.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »

In theory I back John Tsang who is the Mitt Romney of the race but the Chinese nationalist in me always want to go with Regina Ip who is the Donald Trump of the race.  In the end wallet will trump heart and I will go with Tsang who is the front runner (in terms of polling anyway.)
peterthlee
China

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:35:29 AM »

Re jaichind: John Tsang is just a Donald Tsang redux. Under his reign Hong Kong would flop and be dragged into hell. He would be an utmost failure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BREAKING: Leung Chun-ying (I-inc) ruled out re-election.

Beforehand, most have assumed that he would win re-election due to his perceived 'loyalty to Beijing' in registering judicial reviews against 3 more MPs: Leung Kwok-hung (LSD), Edward Yiu (I) and Nathan Law Kwun-chung (D). The trio, with Lau Siu-lai, condemned this as a 'political tactic' to 'increase Leung's chances of winning'.

Meanwhile, John Tsang Chun-wah (I) was warned 'not to make inroad through a red light' but some pundits who are associated with the Central Government Liaison Office. The cohorts stated that 'serious political consequences' would loom on his fate.

In the run-up of Leung's bow-out, Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee (NPP) planned to hold a party convention in the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. It was widely anticipated that she will declare her candidacy. However, only a few pro-establishment figures would turn out. Notably, colonial Chief Secretary for Administration David Aker-Jones pledge support to her.

After Leung ruled out re-election, Ip's chances would record a staggering increase.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 03:05:58 AM »

Incumbent chief secretary for administration Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor (I) reversed her previous mind not to run. She was widely seen as the 'ultimate destiny' after her orating, and she was perceived as the plan B ('Manuel Valls') of Leung Chun-ying ('Francois Hollande').
peterthlee
China

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 09:46:20 AM by peterthlee »

John Tsang Chun-wah (I) today tendered his resignation as Financial Secretary. However, in a surprise move, he did not mention anything about participating in the race when he held a press conference to confirm his will.

In the meantime, Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor (I) was speculated to make her turn on Dec 19 (HKT).

The non-establishments made much more inroads in the Electoral College yesterday. They captured a total of 326 seats, much higher than around 200 in 2011. Specifically, they wiped their opponents out in social welfare, law, medicine and even incumbent Leung Chun-ying's bastion of architecture and surveying sectors. Their larger voice could make them ascend to the position of being a kingmaker, which could force all candidates to conform to some of their grievances.

In the law sectors, the pan-democratic team was all elected. Ironically, former Civic Party MP for New Territories East 2004-2015 and Senior Counsel Ronny Tong Ka-wah failed to secure a seat.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »

The main problem from the PRC point of view of this election is with so many (now 3 with John Tsang throwing his hat into the race) credible pro-establishment candidates in the race, the pro-Democracy bloc will now have a decisive say in the outcome which is what the PRC would like to avoid.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »

The main problem from the PRC point of view of this election is with so many (now 3 with John Tsang throwing his hat into the race) credible pro-establishment candidates in the race, the pro-Democracy bloc will now have a decisive say in the outcome which is what the PRC would like to avoid.
The Central Government has not approved Tsang's request of resignation. It is worthwhile to note that Henry Tang's request of his resignation from the government was approved 2 days after the submission. Now it is 3 days away from the announcement. He might fail miserably.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee (NPP) announced her candidacy. Simultaneously, she tendered her resignation from the Executive Council, but remained as a MP.

Woo Kwok-hing (I) also unveiled his policy manifesto the same day. He pointed out that it might take 15 years to acheive universal suffrage, and he suggested a phased approach of increasing the nomination college to all 3 million registered voters. Still, he prioritized the installation of the Article 23 of the Basic Law, which is still a controversial subject in the metropolis.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »

BREAKING:
After a long period of silent breezes, coupled with recent waves of establishing a Forbidden City Palace Museum (where antiquity from the Forbidden City will be displayed) in the West Kowloon Cultral District, Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor (I) today (in accordance with GMT+8, Hong Kong Standard time) tendered her resignation as Chief Secretary of Administration.

She spelt out her mind in a closed seminar earlier today hosted in the Science Park. In her final oration as CS, the 36-year-long civil servant was so adamant that she 'would enter the CE race upon the approval of her resignation by Beijing'.

Singtao Daily, a prominent pro-establishment newspaper, claimed that Lam was the only candidate favoured by Beijing and would obtain nomination ballots 'way higher than threshold' after the nomination period starts.

Meanwhile, Sing Pao, an anti-CY Leung pro-Beijing newspaper, which has been under the spotlight for 'accurately projecting Leung's sidestepping', lambasted Lam for 'failing to acknowledge people's will for public consultation on the West Kowloon Cultural District Project', but still noted that 'Beijing was still open to candidates among the pro-establishment camp and would not bar Lam from running'.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 07:55:08 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2017, 07:30:06 PM by peterthlee »

As most of the potential candidates surfaced, I would lock the first round of voting permanently till further notice.
Update 08:30, 13/1/2017 HKT: a second round run-off voting will be run, if possible, between the two candidates who have highest odds to win according to consensus pundits in Hong Kong (at this moment it will be between Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor (I) and John Tsang Chun-wah (I)).
peterthlee
China

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 04:44:45 AM »

Beijing approved Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor (I) and John Tsang Chun-wah (I)'s resignation at 14:00 HKT, 16/1/2017.
In light of this, Lam announced her bid at 17:00 HKT at Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 05:05:52 AM »

Any left wingers and/or socialists in the pro-Beijing camp?
peterthlee
China

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 05:19:49 AM »

At this stage, no.
TBH, I'm actually a hardcore pro-Beijing socialist advocate, and I would strongly oppose a John Tsang candidacy - he is a old financial guard who has a big mouth, more said than done. No tax rebates, bureaucracy ensues, prompting himself to be a popular contender...heck, no more electoral tactics please.
My wordings might be harsh, and John Tsang somewhat kindly receives public grievances - however, I need to spell out the truth. He is a good listener, but a horrible doer.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 07:09:25 AM »

At this stage, no.
TBH, I'm actually a hardcore pro-Beijing socialist advocate, and I would strongly oppose a John Tsang candidacy - he is a old financial guard who has a big mouth, more said than done. No tax rebates, bureaucracy ensues, prompting himself to be a popular contender...heck, no more electoral tactics please.
My wordings might be harsh, and John Tsang somewhat kindly receives public grievances - however, I need to spell out the truth. He is a good listener, but a horrible doer.

Have there even been leftists of the pro-Beijing. regard?

I completely agree with you. What about the Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions.

I believe that all ares of china (hongkong, tibet), are better off under one china, hopefully under socialism.

Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 07:28:35 AM »

At this stage, no.

I completely agree with you. What about the Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions.

I believe that all ares of china (hongkong, tibet), are better off under one china, hopefully under socialism.

Tibet isn't China. Its a nation in its own right.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »

At this stage, no.

Is it possible to be a pro-Beijing leftist? There should be nothing in the public policy of Beijing that attracts any social democrat or socialist.

Hell, if tore down Beijing tomorrow and had elections, the Chinese people would probably vote in agrarian socialism.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 07:47:19 AM »

Pro-Beijing progressives, like FTU, don't have enough bench to take the challenge.

Their spiritual leader, Wong Kwok-hing, was upset in the recent LegCo election (though he has a very decent shot in the by-election in New Territories East, due to partitioning of the non-establishments) by only fractional percentages...and...he's now 67.

Others, like Wong Kwok-kin (MP for Kowloon East since 2008) or Alice Mak (MP for New Territories West since 2012) either lack administrative experience or too old to contend the election.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Lord Halifax, I respect your opinion on the soverignty of Tibet, but I could not agree with it. A slightly enlarged autonomy in the region would soothe the resentment of ethnic Tibetans, for the record.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies