Would you rather live in West Virginia or Oklahoma? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:33:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in West Virginia or Oklahoma? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
West Virginia

Oklahoma

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Would you rather live in West Virginia or Oklahoma?  (Read 4010 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 29, 2016, 05:15:38 PM »

Well, there are two WV.  If you live in the Eastern Panhandle you're an 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs from DC.  The population is much younger and more educated than the state as a whole.  The teen birth rate is normal, there are more births than deaths, few people on disability, more people in the workforce, a wider variety of job opportunities, etc... It's a normal functioning society.  Plus, it is scenic.  Harper's Ferry, lots of protected land, can go bicycling along the Potomac, no involvement or negative side effects with the coal industry whatsoever.

So, I'd vote for that 1st.

Real WV is old , has a teen birth rate as high as anywhere in the US, and despite that has 15-20% more deaths than births.  It has the highest drug overdose rate in the US.  The highest accidental death rate in the US.  Ranks in the top 2 for smoking, diabetes, heart disease, obesity.  Highest disability rate in the nation (well except for East KY).  Lowest college graduation rate. Jobs are scarce and tend to be in coal, logging, chemical industries.  Plenty of environmental damage from coal.  The state capital was without a water system for a month thanks to a chemical spill.  Horrible roads and infrastructure.  Lots of poor unhealthy angry people.  You don't ride a bicycle in this part of the state.  You get drunk and drive your ATV off a mountain.  Yes, WV ranks #1 for ATV deaths too.

I'd vote real WV last.

I should note, that I do live in New Orleans, in Louisiana, and I could reel off a litany of public health and environment and infrastructure issues (though WV is worse), but then Louisiana has a wide variety of cultural benefits (food, booze, music, architecture, etc) that run circles around Road Kill Festivals  and what not.  Plus Hasil Adkins is dead.

Tulsa an OKC are both tolerable places even if I don't like their politics and their museums are dull.  Weather is worse in OK, obscenely hot in the summer, plenty of opportunity for snow and ice in the winter.  Plus, tornados.  

Fun energy fact about OK, it just recently passed Iowa as the number two generator of wind energy in the US.  Bunch of dumb cracker hippies.

I voted OK in the poll because when people say WV they never mean the Eastern Panhandle.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 09:18:43 PM »

If I was really into college football, the one that still had a team undefeated in Big XII conference play.

Well, that almost worked.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:36:23 PM »

If I was really into college football, the one that still had a team undefeated in Big XII conference play.

Well, that almost worked.

Oklahoma's still undefeated in conference play; their two losses were out-of-conference.  Not that I really have a preference between the two states.
  I thought you were trying to play both sides as they both were undefeated in conference going into yesterday.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:39:46 AM »

Probably WV if only to remain close-ish with family in Pittsburgh and friends in Ohio. That said, as a pure happiness decision, I'd prefer OKC by far, then Tulsa, to any place in WV, including the eastern panhandle. Sure it's 90 minutes from DC, but that's pretty far when you want to do anything on a regular basis. In the meantime Harper's Ferry area is awfully small town.

Well, there are about 2 to 3 million people between Harper's Ferry and DC, so it's not like you have to go into DC to see a movie or get groceries.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies