The seriousness of what Comey did if these are true
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:36:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The seriousness of what Comey did if these are true
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The seriousness of what Comey did if these are true  (Read 1668 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2016, 11:15:24 PM »

It's now looking more and more apparent that James Comey's timing of the disclosure to reveal the investigation of additional E-mails is coming more and more into question:

1) FBI still does not have a warrant to review the Huma Abedin E-mails

https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-wrote-bombshell-letter-to-congress-before-fbi-had-reviewed-new-emails-220219586.html

2) A claim from a senior Democratic congressional aide that ranking Democratic members didn't see the Comey letter until they had been aware of the tweet from Jason Chaffetz

http://shareblue.com/jason-chaffetz-tweeted-comeys-letter-before-democrats-even-saw-it/

If the FBI jumped the gun to make this announcement, that's one thing.  But the claim that the Democratic ranking members were delayed in getting this information warrants investigation.

From a political standpoint, if accurate, fires up the Democratic base even more--the question is what is Comey's true motive in revealing this with 11 days to go in the election?

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:44:59 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2016, 11:59:51 PM by Arch »

The Democratic base is already fired up by this. Anecdotally, everyone on my feed is fed up with the 25 years of investigative persecutions on HRC, sometimes tons of times on the same issue like in this case, leading to nothing every time. I'm fed up with it as well, and things have been backfiring on Comey and becoming more serious as time goes on.

So yea, there will probably be a downwards trend on the polls taken during the first day or two of this, but I'm sure there will be a bounce back to an even higher degree because of a completely re-motivated base.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:53:38 PM »

Wait, the Republican leadership knew this before the Democratic leadership did? This is getting more outrageous every hour!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:55:41 PM »

Wait, the Republican leadership knew this before the Democratic leadership did? This is getting more outrageous every hour!

Correctomundo. This little tidbit was revealed just recently.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »

The letter was sent to the chairs of the committees, who are all Republicans.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:00:49 AM »

The letter was sent to the chairs of the committees, who are all Republicans.

Generally stuff like this goes to the rankings members of both parties, like almost always.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 03:14:04 AM »

This article I found in the New Yorker had some good perspective on the recent events:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/james-comey-broke-with-loretta-lynch-and-justice-department-tradition
Wade McDaniel
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 03:28:59 AM »

Why did Democrats praise Comey when he decided not to investigate?  Why are they mad at him now?
Wade McDaniel
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 04:09:34 AM »

He might just be covering for himself.  Think about how bad he'd look if something egregious were to come up about Hillary around Thanksgiving and Comey failed to tell us before the election.  Hillary Clinton was right to encourage him to release everything.   
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 04:11:09 AM »

The Democratic base is already fired up by this. Anecdotally, everyone on my feed is fed up with the 25 years of investigative persecutions on HRC, sometimes tons of times on the same issue like in this case, leading to nothing every time. I'm fed up with it as well, and things have been backfiring on Comey and becoming more serious as time goes on.

So yea, there will probably be a downwards trend on the polls taken during the first day or two of this, but I'm sure there will be a bounce back to an even higher degree because of a completely re-motivated base.

Some of Hillary's best poll numbers have been when she becomes the sympathetic figure. If Comey becomes the bad guy and Trump and Congressional Republicans overplay their hand, her numbers could very well go up. There may be a short term drop, but there could be a real backlash. You're absolutely right that this is whipping the Democratic base up into a frenzy. My ballot has already been mailed off (and I proudly cast my vote for Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine), but I am livid about this. It's hard to imagine me being the only one that shares that sentiment right now.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 04:15:37 AM »

On another note, Democrats are certainly interested in Russian interference in this election.  Comey has been scrupulous about following Justice Department protocol and saying nothing public about that FBI investigation.  Yet when it comes to Clinton's emails, he has no problem commenting publicly.  First during the earlier press conference and now 11 days before an election.  He is picking and choosing when to follow Department protocol.  
Wade McDaniel
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 04:17:07 AM »

Some of Hillary's best poll numbers have been when she becomes the sympathetic figure. If Comey becomes the bad guy and Trump and Congressional Republicans overplay their hand, her numbers could very well go up. There may be a short term drop, but there could be a real backlash. You're absolutely right that this is whipping the Democratic base up into a frenzy. My ballot has already been mailed off (and I proudly cast my vote for Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine), but I am livid about this. It's hard to imagine me being the only one that shares that sentiment right now.

Comey was awful for allowing her to get away with perjury.  She picked and chose which protocols to follow.  It's like she says, "there's the Hillary standard and then there's the standard for everyone else."  That's right I don't walk in step with the left!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 06:09:51 AM »

Why did Democrats praise Comey when he decided not to investigate?  Why are they mad at him now?

Cause they are hypocrites.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 06:17:17 AM »

Here's a secret: Many of us on the left weren't happy with this guy then either. Why? Because he effectively said 'I can't prosecute, but I really wanna', making it clear he had no love for Clinton, would not be an impartial actor in this election, and intentionally giving fuel to the right for which to smear Clinton further even while being forced to exonerate her. Therefore, we've known this guy isn't our friend for a while now, but... we've been forced to point out when ever the right brought up the e-mail stuff that hey, even the FBI director who doesn't like Clinton said there wasn't anything there, so shove it. In effect, it was a 'even this guy who doesn't like us says its cool' sort of thing. I'd prefer if we didn't have someone like Comey in that spot so we wouldn't have had to be annoyed by this predicament, and who wouldn't of pull the latest e-mail surprise out of his ass.

So then, as Trump and his supporters, and Republicans in congress have been pushing the e-mail 'controversy' for ages now, basically forcing us to have to use this twat in our defense, its now us who are terrible? Give me a break.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »

Cause they are hypocrites.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 06:28:27 AM »

Here's a secret: Many of us on the left weren't happy with this guy then either. Why? Because he effectively said 'I can't prosecute, but I really wanna', making it clear he had no love for Clinton, would not be an impartial actor in this election, and intentionally giving fuel to the right for which to smear Clinton further even while being forced to exonerate her. Therefore, we've known this guy isn't our friend for a while now, but... we've been forced to point out when ever the right brought up the e-mail stuff that hey, even the FBI director who doesn't like Clinton said there wasn't anything there, so shove it. In effect, it was a 'even this guy who doesn't like us says its cool' sort of thing. I'd prefer if we didn't have someone like Comey in that spot so we wouldn't have had to be annoyed by this predicament, and who wouldn't of pull the latest e-mail surprise out of his ass.

So then, as Trump and his supporters, and Republicans in congress have been pushing the e-mail 'controversy' for ages now, basically forcing us to have to use this twat in our defense, its now us who are terrible? Give me a break.

That's an interesting an effective argument.

CNN wouldnbe ten times if you were their online editor.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »

I didn't have a problem with Comey's original announcement, and I don't have a problem with what he's doing now, either.

There seems to be a lack of appreciation for the unprecedentedness of the current situation.  Never in our history have we had a Presidential candidate who became the party's presumptive nominee under continuous FBI wrongdoing for possible criminal wrongdoing.  Never before have we been in a position where there is real evidence that during a Presidential campaign, one of the nominees has failed to comply with a lawful subpoena and that non-compliance was willful.  

We are in this unprecedented situation because of the unprecedented refusal of the Democratic Party establishment to, in effect, refuse to support Mrs. Clinton's candidacy on the grounds that she was under current criminal investigation.  This isn't a remarkable standard; being under investigation would be a disqualifier for any prospective VICE Presidential candidate, so why didn't this render Mrs. Clinton's PRESIDENTIAL campaign a non-starter?  Why didn't Democratic Party leaders and donors refuse to support her candidacy on the grounds that she was under criminal investigation?  

I don't have a problem with everybody walking away from criminal charges if that will be the result of putting all of the information out there.  I don't care if Carlos Danger, Huma Abedein, or Hillary Clinton "get away with murder" in the criminal sense.  I don't believe that the American people, Democrat or Republican, are going to believe that they have "justice" in this matter.  Justice died with Bill and Loretta on the tarmac together, talking about their grandchildren.  But I believe that if we can't have justice, we can at least have the truth.

So, yes, let's dump all these e-mails; folks can decide for themselves.  Let's trade "Lock Her Up!" for an informed vote for as many Americans as possible.  But let's recognize that Hillary Clinton and her inner circle aren't victims here; they are volunteers.  And this is another example of how Hillary's lack of basic honesty and candor and her penchant for secrecy has gotten her into hot water again.  Hillary put herself in this situation.  If it were Donald Trump that Comey had evidence on 60 days before an election and didn't bring it forth, the Red Avatars here would be exploding.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 07:00:19 AM »

He might just be covering for himself.  Think about how bad he'd look if something egregious were to come up about Hillary around Thanksgiving and Comey failed to tell us before the election.  Hillary Clinton was right to encourage him to release everything.   

And he should release everything.  Now.

When this is over, the Democratic Party should be taken to task for actively backing a candidate under criminal investigation by the FBI.  They have a stable of attractive candidates; why did they foist Hillary Clinton and her baggage on America? 
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »

This is getting more and more ridiculous by the minute... so the FBI violates the Constitution to elect Trump, then tells Republicans and not Democrats. This is ridiculous
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »

This is getting more and more ridiculous by the minute... so the FBI violates the Constitution to elect Trump, then tells Republicans and not Democrats. This is ridiculous

So it is likely not what happened Roll Eyes
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »

Umm, let's see, they acted without a warrant (violating the Fourth Amendment) and then sent a letter to congressional Republicans but not Democrats. I'm not sure what part of this you dispute.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 08:04:23 AM »

Umm, let's see, they acted without a warrant (violating the Fourth Amendment) and then sent a letter to congressional Republicans but not Democrats. I'm not sure what part of this you dispute.

He didn't violate anything. He did his job.

Your distrust to Americans institutes are disgusting.  You belong to Trump's rallies.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »

He didn't violate anything. He did his job.

Your distrust to Americans institutes are disgusting.  You belong to Trump's rallies.
Stop trolling. You know as well as I do that the Justice Department had not given the FBI a warrant to search Wiener's laptop. By sending this letter, Comey has formed a scandal out of what could be absolutely nothing.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 08:26:25 AM »

Stop trolling. You know as well as I do that the Justice Department had not given the FBI a warrant to search Wiener's laptop. By sending this letter, Comey has formed a scandal out of what could be absolutely nothing.

As I said, he did his job as far as we know. Pardon me, but I have more trust in Comey (FBI Director) than you (an anonym poster) Roll Eyes
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 08:39:01 AM »

As I said, he did his job as far as we know. Pardon me, but I have more trust in Comey (FBI Director) than you (an anonym poster) Roll Eyes

Yet you can't explain away a sudden disregard for regulation after having followed it in a sacrosanct way up to this point. It really does feel like he was bought. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies