Thomas most activist, Breyer least activist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Thomas most activist, Breyer least activist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Thomas most activist, Breyer least activist  (Read 2273 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 01:00:25 AM »

Separation of church and state is found nowhere in the Federalist Papers. You're completely clueless.

Pardon me.  Jefferson made the famous "wall between church and state" in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association of Connecticut.  My bad.  In the Federalist papers Hamilton just talks about how the President has no spirtual authority over the nation.

But yet Jefferson funded preachers with federal tax money to Christianize indians. Yeah, he was for seperation. Roll Eyes
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2005, 01:12:39 AM »

Separation of church and state is found nowhere in the Federalist Papers. You're completely clueless.

Pardon me.  Jefferson made the famous "wall between church and state" in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association of Connecticut.  My bad.  In the Federalist papers Hamilton just talks about how the President has no spirtual authority over the nation.

But yet Jefferson funded preachers with federal tax money to Christianize indians. Yeah, he was for seperation. Roll Eyes

He gave a one time $50 gift to a preacher who was the only national contact with a group of indians.  He did not specify "evangalize".  This was more about diplomacy.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 04:59:01 AM »

Separation of church and state is found nowhere in the Federalist Papers.

Considering the last Federalist was published in May 1788 and the Bill of Rights did not pass Congress until November 1789, thats hardly surprising.

James Madison also vetoed legislation that he felt violated the Establishment Clause, and he has an even stronger claim to knowledge of intent considering that he wrote it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 10:17:23 AM »

Uh, I didn't deny that the establishment clause exists. I said there's no basis for it in the Federalist Papers, which is why it's dumb to say you've read them, and then talked about the separation of church and state.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005, 12:39:16 PM »

Uh, I didn't deny that the establishment clause exists. I said there's no basis for it in the Federalist Papers, which is why it's dumb to say you've read them, and then talked about the separation of church and state.

I didn't say you did. I was simply providing the reason why Establishment Clause isn't in the Federalists.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies