You should have listened
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:47:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  You should have listened
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: You should have listened  (Read 3671 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »
« edited: October 31, 2016, 08:55:58 PM by bore »

Roughly a year ago today, my active atlasia career ended after consecutively serving in the northeast assembly, in the senate and then as president. It was a long and illustrious career, and, at the end of it all I was happy to retire as an elder statesman with no regrets.

My second term as president coincided with a crisis of inactivity, with offices vital to the running of the state becoming impossible to fill, the senate being barely active and the regions mere husks. It was only through my strong leadership, neither resigning and abandoning the game or endorsing the approach of conservatives who wished merely to tinker around with the deck chairs, that brought about a concon, which, while perhaps going on for too long, did bring about the restructuring and rebooting that was necessary.

Now it has come to my attention that a cabal of individuals, perhaps jealous of this proud legacy, have spent the last year constantly undermining and attacking me as a weak and failed president, who single handedly drove atlasia onto the rocks. It goes without saying that the most longwinded of these individuals is the esteemed Supreme Court Judge Yankee.

Ironically it turns out that the very people who have spent the last year talking about the importance of doing things by the book, who have defamed my legacy and the legacy of all those who pushed for game reform in those dark days, are, unsurprisingly, complete hypocrites, shamelessly ignoring the very same rules simply to win an election.

Well something much important is at stake here than who controls the presidency for the next few months. At stake is the very future of atlasia as a democracy. While I believe that yankee should have been rejected for his mendacious slander about the past I have referred to above, reasonable people can disagree. It is now clear, however, that reasonable people can no longer disagree, and that yankee must be rejected due to his contempt for the democratic system.

Speaking as your former president, my conscience would not be clean if I did not try to warn you that all people of good will must condemn this brazen attempt at a coup.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »

Wow. Who knew? Shocking! Now moving on to what really matters, what are you drinking or ingesting right now?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 09:55:56 PM »

Now, Bore, you are a man worthy of a lot of respect, and someone whom I believe most of Atlasia admired as a Senator - indeed I was openly supportive of your hard work as PPT when I was President -, but forgive me if I look upon this statement of yours with sincere skepticism.

Mind you, perhaps it's because I don't enter the IRC and have not heard such "mendacious slander" myself, but I distinctly remember a consensus that went beyond parties that frankly did not see the Bore Administration as active and supported by strong leadership. Indeed, the list of critics at the time extended from Yankee, Cris, Truman, Kalwejt and many others, coupled with approval ratings that at their lowest were of 14% and by the end that Administration was over a mere 30%.

A President is never solely responsible for Atlasia and for the overall course of activity, but he is a crucial factor in making the difference. And strong leadership we lacked during those months, considering we had to endure an Attorney General going rogue, the Vice-President escaping to Cuba, a Communist revolution in the streets and many talented cabinet officeholders resigning in protest of what they saw was inadequate leadership and an Administration that could have done much more to be more present and simply wasn't there.

It is easy to say many just wanted to "tinker with the deck chairs", but nevertheless it was a large portion of conservatives who openly and enthusiastically backed the calls for a Constitutional Convention, being a full part of the process and one of the reasons why the entire process worked out in the end with the game surviving, if perhaps not in the shape some may have dreamed at some point.

So forgive me if I find this sudden self-rightheousness a bit surprising, and the claims of a coup frankly amusing considering we have a Supreme Court actively looking into the recent court cases to solve matters in a legal, efficient and swift way.

Rewriting the past may be a common thing on recent months regarding administrations and public figures, but we cannot address as slander the opinion of the vast majority of Atlasians during those months in 2015, which indeed was of an Administration which while in no way solely responsible of what was happening, failed to be assertive and showcase true leadership at a time in which it could have made a significant difference.

Now, it isn't like I'm the most adecuate person to say it as I have not been as active as I could and should have been as Vice-President, but at this stage things are better left said than unsaid.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:33:16 PM »

Maybe I should post the last three hours of #AtlasForum Chat logs I had the displeasure of seeing and we'll see just who the obsessed cult engaging in mendacious slander is.

But no I won't do that. I don't have to.

You were a great Senator, bore. But you made many mistakes as President. I have never gone out of my way to trash you or attack you simply because I don't think or at least didn't think you goal was to have happened what happened. I thought you made a mistake appointing Al, and I thought districts was a bad idea. But I loved your omnibus repeal bills as Senator to clean up the statute pages.

I have though gone after Oakvale, Talleyrand, Al and others who have in fact engaged in activities that I found destructive (quite literally so with dissolution and secession), far more energetically. It would seem that rather than speak for yourself you are trying to speak for the whole group of IRCultists who cannot seem to let their hatred of me go, and that you are trying to engage in rewriting history to cover their tracks so they can once again peddle their snake oil, "as esteemed elder statesmen" coming to rescue Atlasia from the newbies and others that they consider so inferior and of course from "Atlasia's Hitler" NC Fing Yankee, when in fact their record is one of treason, secession, disunity, elitism and personal obsession that stretches back almost three years now.

It is ironic that you accuse me of going too far to win an election. Adam stirred that nest of hornets to rally votes for Blair, and well I hope he is happy with whatever crap they decide to bring, be it dissolving the Atlasian Govt' (Big ticket movie in #Atlasforum tonight) or whatever else they may have up their sleeve.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 12:56:33 AM »

As is usually the case, Labor Presidents are underappreciated until and/or vindicated after the history books are written. Very sad indeed that we never get the heaping praise we deserve.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 01:16:55 AM »

As is usually the case, Labor Presidents are underappreciated until and/or vindicated after the history books are written. Very sad indeed that we never get the heaping praise we deserve.

I agree, DemPGH was a good guy and would have been a great President with a Senate like those of 2012 or even early 2013, instead of the evenly split one with a heavily partisan far left Laborite forcing his administration to be the deciding vote for. This led to the resignation of many of his cabinet in protest, which in turn allowed for the appointment of Sirnick as GM.

But regardless of that, DemPGH himself, or that whole situation with Tyrion, all of that created a massive catastrophe in October 2014. Just like the actions, or in-actions of the bore administration made July 2015 what it was. Labor earned fully what it got for those periods.

Marokai, Nix (early on), and you (Adam) were good Presidents. 3/6 isn't too bad.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 03:39:49 AM »

My second term as president coincided with a crisis of inactivity, with offices vital to the running of the state becoming impossible to fill, the senate being barely active and the regions mere husks. It was only through my strong leadership, neither resigning and abandoning the game or endorsing the approach of conservatives who wished merely to tinker around with the deck chairs, that brought about a concon, which, while perhaps going on for too long, did bring about the restructuring and rebooting that was necessary.

Are you serious?

In the final phase of your term, you were deeply inactive, with just the Senate being active in the government. Also your approval ratings were something like 10%
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »

Sorry, bore, but you were a bad President in a time we needed an energetic leader.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 03:56:29 AM »

Sorry, bore, but you were a bad President in a time we needed an energetic leader.

Remember when we rushed to get you confirmed as (SoIA I think) and Al impeached so that if bore did disappear/resign/get impeached whatever, you would become President.

Good times!

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »

So much revisionism, so little time:

Well there are two things to deal with here. Firstly I have no interest in how the people rank my tenure. People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. People are often wrong. It is the facts which concern me.

And, moving onto the facts, though certain people try to deny them, are clear. Before my call for radical reform on July 18th 2015, the Constitutional Convention petition thread had been nigh on abandoned. After, the terms of debate completely shifted, and we got our ConCon. The facts simply speak for themselves.

I have always been nothing more and nothing less than my own man. When people like Nix, who I deeply respect, resigned, I could have gone with them, but didn't.  Similarly an ally like Adam can confirm that trying to whip me always fail. I have no more elections to run for, so I am not trying to impress people with my maverick status. It's just that ranting about various other people has little connection to the issue at hand.

And, maybe this is only clear to those who have been outside the atlasian bubble for a while, but there are no words for your running mate disqualifying perfectly valid votes to win you the election other than corruption and treachery.

Are you serious?

In the final phase of your term, you were deeply inactive, with just the Senate being active in the government. Also your approval ratings were something like 10%

This is blatantly untrue, and the fact that it has become accepted history is deeply disturbing. The senate was to all intents and purposes, a zombie institution in the last three months of my term, from the beginning of August to the beginning November, there were 14 acts voted on by the senate. Most of those attracting a smattering of comment. In the month of october the senate expelled 2 of its members and passed 3 laws, attracting a total of 164 posts between all 3.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:21:48 AM »

And, maybe this is only clear to those who have been outside the atlasian bubble for a while, but there are no words for your running mate disqualifying perfectly valid votes to win you the election other than corruption and treachery.

There is no way that attacking a candidate in the voting booth is not campaigning by any traditional definition. You can spin it, you can dive into any kind of historical examples that you want. But it is what it is and the law states that it is grounds for invalidation.

I would point out that Rpryor knocked off several of my voters too, two of which are being sued over as well. Why? Because the law either rightly or wrongly interpreted motivated those actions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »

And, moving onto the facts, though certain people try to deny them, are clear. Before my call for radical reform on July 18th 2015, the Constitutional Convention petition thread had been nigh on abandoned. After, the terms of debate completely shifted, and we got our ConCon. The facts simply speak for themselves.

The terms of the debate were not shifted because of your statements. They were shifted by the mass exodus of players that occurred over the course of that July, leading to myself and others like PiT embracing consolidation as the only viable path forward.

Your statement was regarding as neigh on embrace of dissolution, which the embrace of the Con-Con by various conservative elements was aimed at stopping.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »

I have always been nothing more and nothing less than my own man. When people like Nix, who I deeply respect, resigned, I could have gone with them, but didn't.  Similarly an ally like Adam can confirm that trying to whip me always fail.

So you didn't go from Franklin Piece to James Buchanan. Congrats!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »

honestly, if i were the esteemed former president, i wouldn't bother engaging with injustice yankee at all. dude has never made a valuable argument despite literally living in this game for over a decade.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »

The problem is that bore simply threw the towel when any sign of activity from the top would be of great importance. He didn't cross the line like Nix, but the fact remains he gave up.

Even before the crisis bore was pretty much a lackluster President. When I was the GM I a had very hard time to get him to react to anything (Lumine was very cooperative).
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »

There is no way that attacking a candidate in the voting booth is not campaigning by any traditional definition. You can spin it, you can dive into any kind of historical examples that you want. But it is what it is and the law states that it is grounds for invalidation.

I would point out that Rpryor knocked off several of my voters too, two of which are being sued over as well. Why? Because the law either rightly or wrongly interpreted motivated those actions.

I don't think I should have to point this out to a Supreme Court Justice, but if laws were as obvious as you think they are, you'd be out of a job.

The terms of the debate were not shifted because of your statements. They were shifted by the mass exodus of players that occurred over the course of that July, leading to myself and others like PiT embracing consolidation as the only viable path forward.

Your statement was regarding as neigh on embrace of dissolution, which the embrace of the Con-Con by various conservative elements was aimed at stopping.

It's pretty clear that the signatures to the ConCon started happening again at almost straight after my speech. And yes maybe that was because I moved the terms of debate, forcing the right out of its hidebound Smiley moderate reform Smiley dogma. I make no apologies for that. Although if you'd read the statement and my other ones it would be pretty clear that I regarded dissolution and a successful ConCon as largely the same thing.

The problem is that bore simply threw the towel when any sign of activity from the top would be of great importance. He didn't cross the line like Nix, but the fact remains he gave up.

Even before the crisis bore was pretty much a lackluster President. When I was the GM I a had very hard time to get him to react to anything (Lumine was very cooperative).

Interesting that you've neglected to mention that your time as GM came to an ignominious end as you were forced by the overwhelming weight of public opinion to resign as GM because you nuked atlasia.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »

Interesting that you've neglected to mention that your time as GM came to an ignominious end as you were forced by the overwhelming weight of public opinion to resign as GM because you nuked atlasia.

At least Kalwejt acted, and as GM he always worked to make the game more interesting and more interactive. His legacy as an officeholder (and particularly as GM) is far more accomplished than this revisionist active and strong presidency which apparently existed during 2015, even if we can find countless statements of respected Atlasians of different sides who openly defined the period the other way around.

Your call for radical reform was admittedly more reasonable than that of those who wished for the game to suddenly cease its existence, but you are on record stating that a Con Con was impossible at one moment and that we might as well leave everything to burn down. To make matters worse, that was right at the moment in which we had an actual revolution and the Attorney General appointed by the Administration committing treason. What we needed was firm, assertive leadership from the White House, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't what we had (which was voiced again and again from people from virtually all sides).

And if we want to debate only of facts, we can note that the opinion polls and public debate consistently showcased disappointment on the administration, that respected cabinet ministers resigned in protest of this, that even people deeply supportive of Labor like Windjammer did call for your resignation and that very little got actually done or said by the White House in those two terms.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »

I note that none of the tedious windbags concerned have actually responded to bore's actual arguments.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 12:02:36 AM »

honestly, if i were the esteemed former president, i wouldn't bother engaging with injustice yankee at all. dude has never made a valuable argument despite literally living in this game for over a decade.

Wrong.

I made a very valuable argument a year ago to enough sensible people to ensure that Harry Truman was elected as the fifth At-Large Senator and you were not. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:09 AM »

I don't think I should have to point this out to a Supreme Court Justice, but if laws were as obvious as you think they are, you'd be out of a job.

Ironically, I pretty much felt that way for the past four months because of the lack of cases.

It's pretty clear that the signatures to the ConCon started happening again at almost straight after my speech. And yes maybe that was because I moved the terms of debate, forcing the right out of its hidebound Smiley moderate reform Smiley dogma. I make no apologies for that. Although if you'd read the statement and my other ones it would be pretty clear that I regarded dissolution and a successful ConCon as largely the same thing.

You didn't move the terms of the debate on the right, bore. Sawx's ban did more to move the debate among us than you did.

Whose that Crazy Pole destroying the world, its Kal, Crazy Kal.

The blood of the innocent will flow without end, its Kal, Crazy Kal.

Best GM Ever!!!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 01:09:38 AM »

Fmr. President James Buchanan
OldPublicFunctionary      
YaBB God

★★★★★

Re: BREAKING: Lee's Army Surrenders at Appomattox
« on: April 9, 1865, 11:23:47 pm »

My last months as president coincided with a secession crisis, with state after state announcing her departure from the union, the congress hopelessly divided, and the army a mere husk. It was only through my strong leadership, neither resigning and abandoning the union nor endorsing the approach of black Republicans who wished merely to play coy and ignore the impending rupture of our family of states, that brought about a successful war strategy which, while perhaps going on for too long, did bring about the reunion that was necessary.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 02:00:48 AM »

is wolfentoad seriously back and has been made speaker in the pacific with rpryor's encouragement

what is this

why haven't you stopped this
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 02:57:27 AM »

Wrong.

I made a very valuable argument a year ago to enough sensible people to ensure that Harry Truman was elected as the fifth At-Large Senator and you were not. Tongue
OldPublicFunctionary     
YaBB God

★★★★★

My last months as president coincided with a secession crisis, with state after state announcing her departure from the union, the congress hopelessly divided, and the army a mere husk. It was only through my strong leadership, neither resigning and abandoning the union nor endorsing the approach of black Republicans who wished merely to play coy and ignore the impending rupture of our family of states, that brought about a successful war strategy which, while perhaps going on for too long, did bring about the reunion that was necessary.

no further comment necessary
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 03:17:40 AM »

Wrong.

OldPublicFunctionary     
YaBB God

★★★★★

no further comment necessary

I thought that was funny. Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 05:09:33 AM »

Unlike you I took full responsibility for the fiasco.

What is interesting that I've devised that ultimately failed scenario as a way to actually get the likes of you to react. Unsurprisingly to no avail.

So yes, I did mishandle this, but at least I did something.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies