Catholic Church spending big money fighting marijuana legalization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Catholic Church spending big money fighting marijuana legalization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Catholic Church spending big money fighting marijuana legalization  (Read 3141 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2016, 10:47:31 PM »

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/10/28/archdiocese-spend-against-marijuana-legalization/qtCwVY4ViWjRFwOvcyveeK/story.html

Wrong side of history, again.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »

Another reason why I'm not Catholic.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »

Implying there is a 'wrong' side to this and not just a losing side.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »

Another reason why I'm not Catholic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:21:59 PM »

Bad decision and definitely reflects poorly on how the Church thinks about these issues, but for f**k's sake brtd give it a rest.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:49:27 PM »

Your anti-Catholicism is much, much worse than your anti Russian. 
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »

Each dollar spent fighting pot legalization or gay marriage is one less dollar that could be spent feeding a hungry child.  I hope they at least consider this at their meetings.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »

Each dollar spent fighting pot legalization or gay marriage is one less dollar that could be spent feeding a hungry child.  I hope they at least consider this at their meetings.

This.

(While I will never support SSM on a personal level, it is settled law and not worth fighting over anymore)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 02:14:23 AM »

So, the Church is cool with alcohol consumption, but will waste money campaigning against marijuana, which is notably less damaging to the individual and especially to society. That makes total sense...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:26:09 AM »

So, the Church is cool with alcohol consumption, but will waste money campaigning against marijuana, which is notably less damaging to the individual and especially to society. That makes total sense...

Well, I'd like to see that banned to, but what do you propose with no referenda on the ballots? All they can do is provide services to those in need
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 03:32:22 PM »

So you've decided a priori that marijuana should be legal and that you won't worship in a church that teaches against that? Seems like an ass backwards way of doing religion.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 03:35:27 PM »

So you've decided a priori that marijuana should be legal and that you won't worship in a church that teaches against that? Seems like an ass backwards way of doing religion.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wink
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »

Wink

Yes I'm certain that Wulfuric, BRTD and Enduro based their views their (fairly literal) interpretation of Genesis Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2016, 04:48:31 PM by Ah! tout est bu, tout est mangé! Plus rien à dire! »

Back for just a moment to weigh in on this because it's really silly.

The idea that history has 'sides' in this way is a cheap tactic to avoid the moral responsibility of evaluating social developments on their merits. Having said that, it's definitely a waste of the Church's energy and money--especially in this state, where the Catholic hierarchy nosedived into a chasm of its own creation, morally speaking (and was enabled in doing so by elements within the psychiatric profession, another institution which I really wish was more worth defending than it is), and should probably be focusing on doing whatever's necessary to rebuild what moral capital it can rather than spending even more of what it has left.

Wink

Yes I'm certain that Wulfuric, BRTD and Enduro based their views their (fairly literal) interpretation of Genesis Tongue

The joke is presumably that this verse is the proof text used in Rastafarianism.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »

FTR I wasn't thinking of Rastafarianism so much as quoting one of the verses that's been understood to speak on this "issue."  (I think my views on pot are painfully established here at this point, but I'm not quite of the opinion that the Bible takes a stance on it one way or the other.)

But I echo the sentiments of Wulfric, BRTD, Enduro, Nix, and Nathan.  Obviously I'm already against the RCC's position; I would not want to be in a church that diverts money and resources to BS issues like this among other things.  I do tire of the "wrong side of history" argument though because it quite obviously has no bearing on the inherent wrongness or rightness of something.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 10:49:19 PM »

This one is really puzzling. Even evangelists like the 700 Club guy are for it. There's nothing biblical against it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:07 AM »

All of which justification for their opposition is, obviously, highly discouraging. There's not much indication of a realistic attempt to grapple with the relevant costs and benefits of legalization - e.g. strong evidence that alcohol consumption has declined in states with legal recreation marijuana, and more limited evidence that they have reduced their rates of opiate addiction and overdosing.

Someone should point this out to Tony.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »

Much as I disagree with numerous Catholic doctrines, I applaud them for not caving into what's "popular" and standing for what's right on this issue.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 02:04:44 PM »

:/ Spend money fighting the use rather than the legalization.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »

It's a more general indication of misplaced priorities among Catholic leadership in the United States, which played a major role in my turning away from the church by my late teens. I doubt that this is what Enduro et al. mean, but it was certainly my initial reaction. Nathan's second paragraph is on point. I haven't felt confident about looking toward the Catholic Church and its teachings for moral coherence in a long time.

Well, this is one of the reasons, there's a lot more important reasons I don't like the Catholic Church. Mostly because of the fact that there is a pope, I don't need a pope to worship God. A pope, in my opinion, is a very unchristian thing, as if one person should be appointed above others as God's speaker. And then Catholic's practically worship him.

Anyway, rant over about the pope. My particular problem with this is that they are using donated money, that should be used to help people, to tell people what to do, and make decisions for them.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 03:27:42 AM »

Much as I disagree with numerous Catholic doctrines, I applaud them for not caving into what's "popular" and standing for what's right on this issue.

The Catholic Church is not a political lobbying group. Hell, they can have their position and mention it and still Stand For What's RightTM, but this is not that.

What they're doing here is this: they have money they could use to clothe the poor, feed the hungry, heal the sick (including those with addiction problems), etc.--but no, they're using it to fund laws that put people in jail (often breaking families apart) for non-violent "crimes," make marijuana usage more dangerous due to lack of regulation, and don't do anything to actually help the serious problem of addiction.

You shouldn't applaud, you should be appalled.

(Also ftr "wrong side of history" is a ridiculously annoying cliche. I hope "history" decides against using it one of these days.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 06:09:07 AM »

Because weed is the single most important issue ever!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 07:44:58 AM »

To be fair, it's better than spending money defending pedophiliac clergy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 08:49:14 AM »

Honestly though this is a valid reason to not be Catholic: I wouldn't want my tithes funding this.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 02:47:17 AM »

To be fair, it's better than spending money defending pedophiliac clergy.

Well, yeah--that was a massive moral failing and this is just an incredibly stupid prudential decision.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies