Decisions of the Supreme Court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Decisions of the Supreme Court
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Decisions of the Supreme Court  (Read 2957 times)
migrendel
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 09:52:19 PM »

Good. M now has about 18 hours to declare his candidacy or  you will be declared winner. I urge you all to make every effort to contact him.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 09:53:50 PM »

Only eligible voters at the time of the previous election may vote, and only the two contested seats will hold new elections.
Was Jesus a "non-participating voter"? He voted in the election, but didn't vote for Lewis or StevenNick.
What if there is still a tie in the run-off?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2004, 09:58:23 PM »

Our intent is to allow people who might have voted for the major party candidates break the tie. If the tie remains, the Court will hear arguments as to how to solve the dispute non-electorally. Perhaps we'll get the candidates to agree to whatever the online equivalent of flipping a coin is.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2004, 11:55:49 PM »

Our intent is to allow people who might have voted for the major party candidates break the tie. If the tie remains, the Court will hear arguments as to how to solve the dispute non-electorally. Perhaps we'll get the candidates to agree to whatever the online equivalent of flipping a coin is.
This sounds like a good plan.  Thank you Supreme Court....or Supreme Court nominees (whatever).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 04:07:18 AM »

Yeah, but what is that?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2004, 04:10:06 AM »

As you say Thursday and Friday and polls are usually open 48 hours here I assume it's midnighjt to midnight? In that case the polls close on Saturday the first 6 am CET, just as I touch down on German soil again... Smiley Hope that's a good omen!
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2004, 05:45:02 AM »

Yeah, but what is that?

http://www.random.org/flip.html
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2004, 09:15:47 AM »

We simply intend to methodically go through all of our options for resolving the District 5 tie. Ideally, this can be solved by the District's voters.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »

THE DECISION OF THE SUPREME COURT IN THE CASE OF M v. HARRY:

[The following portion of the decision was reached by a unanimous vote]
The Supreme Court, pursuant to the declaration clause, finds the candidacy of M invalid. There was no formal announcement of intent. The Court, however, under the concept of electoral participation, finds the votes for him valid. Therefore, the Court gives M until 5:00 P.M. Tuesday to formally announce his decision. A by-election to fill the vacancy will be held on Thursday and Friday. If no such declaration is made, this Court finds Harry to rightfully be the Senator.

[The following section was decided 2-1, with migrendel and Mas117 forming the majority and KEmperor dissenting.]
In addition, the Court restricts candidate participation in the by-election to M and Harry.

[The following case was decided per curiam]
The Supreme Court orders a special election between Lewis Trondheim and his opponent on Thursday and Friday to give the non-participating voters a chance to break the deadlock.

Well, the deadline for M to come forward has passed.  What happens now?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2004, 07:56:36 PM »

Since M failed to comply with court order, Harry is declared Senator.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2004, 05:19:07 PM »

I would just like to post my dissenting opinion in the District 4 decision:

While I agree that M was not a valid candidate, a revote that contains just one valid candidate is not a revote at all.  In the interests of fairness, any potential valid candidates should have been allowed to declare a write-in candidacy.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2004, 05:22:49 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2004, 05:32:40 PM by KEmperor »

I also have the transcripts of the actual debate should anyone be interested.  I don't think we're going to have much to do now anyway.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2004, 05:35:49 PM »

Yes, this would be interesting to see.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2004, 05:38:46 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2004, 05:47:53 PM by KEmperor »

I can send them to you if you want, just IM me.  I think i was the only one who thought it might be necessary to record it.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2004, 09:40:41 PM »

I also have the transcripts of the actual debate should anyone be interested.  I don't think we're going to have much to do now anyway.

I would like a copy
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2004, 09:41:47 PM »

I would like a copy

My AIM screen name and e-mail are public.  Contact me with a way to contact you.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2004, 09:54:46 AM »

THE DECISION OF THE SUPREME COURT IN THE CASE OF M v. HARRY:

[The following portion of the decision was reached by a unanimous vote]
The Supreme Court, pursuant to the declaration clause, finds the candidacy of M invalid. There was no formal announcement of intent. The Court, however, under the concept of electoral participation, finds the votes for him valid. Therefore, the Court gives M until 5:00 P.M. Tuesday to formally announce his decision. A by-election to fill the vacancy will be held on Thursday and Friday. If no such declaration is made, this Court finds Harry to rightfully be the Senator.

[The following section was decided 2-1, with migrendel and Mas117 forming the majority and KEmperor dissenting.]
In addition, the Court restricts candidate participation in the by-election to M and Harry.

[The following case was decided per curiam]
The Supreme Court orders a special election between Lewis Trondheim and his opponent on Thursday and Friday to give the non-participating voters a chance to break the deadlock.

Bump, because matters resolved in this case have been brought forward.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2004, 10:04:30 AM »

Regarding the legitimacy of PBrunsels election as Governor- according to this ruling, votes for PBrunsel were valid, but his candidacy was not as he never declared.  If ILikeVerin were to challenge PBrunsel's election, then PBrunsel would have to declare himself a candidate and a re-vote be held.

I would also like to refer to the section of the Constitution this ruling is based upon:

Clause 2. In order for a senator to be elected, a forum member must declare his or her candidacy for the senate seat of the region or district they wish to represent. Members residing in that region or district shall then appoint said candidate or opponent by proper electoral process.

This refers to Senator elections, not Governor elections.  The rules for Governor elections are set by Regional constitutions.  So the same ruling would not apply.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2004, 11:22:09 AM »

Regarding the legitimacy of PBrunsels election as Governor- according to this ruling, votes for PBrunsel were valid, but his candidacy was not as he never declared.  If ILikeVerin were to challenge PBrunsel's election, then PBrunsel would have to declare himself a candidate and a re-vote be held.

I would also like to refer to the section of the Constitution this ruling is based upon:

Clause 2. In order for a senator to be elected, a forum member must declare his or her candidacy for the senate seat of the region or district they wish to represent. Members residing in that region or district shall then appoint said candidate or opponent by proper electoral process.

This refers to Senator elections, not Governor elections.  The rules for Governor elections are set by Regional constitutions.  So the same ruling would not apply.

Does Harry v. M (or would it be Harry v. Nation?) (that is, the decision that mandated that undeclared write-ins cannot get elected) apply to regional elections?

Ah, I understand.  Yes, based on federalist principles, I would say that any Supreme Court rulings apply to the regions.  Especially since none of the regions have courts of their own.

I'm still thinking about it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2004, 11:24:05 AM »

Man that was a horrible decision, one candidate ballot no alternatives accepted......
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2004, 07:15:49 AM »

Man that was a horrible decision, one candidate ballot no alternatives accepted......

Yep.  That made me pretty mad too.  I would've run against Harry in the new election, but according to the SC, only Harry was able to run.  Fair, huh?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies