Rep. House Members: Ryan is going to step down after Tuesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:42:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. House Members: Ryan is going to step down after Tuesday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rep. House Members: Ryan is going to step down after Tuesday  (Read 2143 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »

In 2012, Ryan was the "conservative" balancing Romney's ticket.  Now, he's a "moderate"?  Why?

If I were advising Paul Ryan, I'd advise him to announce for another term and make the renegades run him out of the Speaker's Chair in full view of the American public.

What would happen if there were a full-bore revolt and Ryan stood up to it?  I believe the public would be on Ryan's side, and on the side of the Republicans siding with him. 

If Trump is elected, he needs to put a stop to this nonsense immediately and back Ryan.  He needs to show he's an "includer" the way Reagan did.  If he doesn't, he'll be stuck with a GOP Congress led be a different coalition, but a coalition that will likely have just as many SoftTrumpers or NeverTrumpers as the other one.

Blessed are the peacemakers.  And the dealmakers.  There may be an opportunity for a President-elect Trump to broker a deal before he's elected.  (If he's elected, of course, which is YUGE "if".)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 06:11:32 PM »

Hopefully the democrats can get enough seats with the moderate Gop to take control...God help this country if the fake freedom caucus gets control...Say hello to a third world country.

I could see a coalition between the Democrats and moderate Republicans being enough control the house. The new speaker would be either a moderate Republican or a centrist Democrat, (probably the former) committee chairmanships would probably be split down the middle, and Democrats might even get key votes (they'd have to convince some GOPers to vote yes to get passage tho) in return for promising to vote yes on appropriations bills and other stuff to keep the government's lights on. The freedom caucus would be completely shut out.
Ok. So where are these moderate republicans with a backbone?

Seriously. There are maybe a dozen plausibly "moderate" Republicans in the House, and most of them will be sent packing next week.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »

Chaffetz or Gohmert?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »

Hopefully the democrats can get enough seats with the moderate Gop to take control...God help this country if the fake freedom caucus gets control...Say hello to a third world country.

I could see a coalition between the Democrats and moderate Republicans being enough control the house. The new speaker would be either a moderate Republican or a centrist Democrat, (probably the former) committee chairmanships would probably be split down the middle, and Democrats might even get key votes (they'd have to convince some GOPers to vote yes to get passage tho) in return for promising to vote yes on appropriations bills and other stuff to keep the government's lights on. The freedom caucus would be completely shut out.

Seriously. There are maybe a dozen plausibly "moderate" Republicans in the House, and most of them will be sent packing next week.

No need for the quotes.  They're moderates.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 06:26:39 PM »

Interesting to see who briefed this- considering the freedom caucus meeting was this week as well
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »

Plus her highness Nancy Pelosi would never agree to such a deal.
mencken
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

McCarthy already embarrassed himself. It's going to be Scalise!
Why would he be so eager to become the lightning rod for the base?

the question here really is why would anyone want to become Speaker - its a horrible job.

I'm almost thinking, as happened in someone's timeline, that Trump might just take it for the lolz.

I will now accept my accolades.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »

At a minimum there are thirty. I'd say there are about 65.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »

Not sure I buy it, but not sure I don't either.

Dems should offer to put Hoyer in charge instead of Pelosi, maybe get a coalition with the small handful of sane Republicans left in the House to elect him as Speaker.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 08:42:05 PM »

At a minimum there are thirty. I'd say there are about 65.

Who would actually join with Dems in a coalition with a compromise Speaker choice?  No, I doubt there are more than one or two who would do that.  Instead we'll just get months of chaos, with no one able to get a majority to elect themselves as Speaker.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »

McCarthy already embarrassed himself. It's going to be Scalise!
Why would he be so eager to become the lightning rod for the base?

the question here really is why would anyone want to become Speaker - its a horrible job.

I'm almost thinking, as happened in someone's timeline, that Trump might just take it for the lolz.

I will now accept my accolades.

I was thinking of your timeline when I wrote it Tongue
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 11:21:34 PM »

If his goal is to be president, he should get out of that office ASAP. The longer he stays there, the more he risks alienating various factions while trying to lead a dysfunctional conference.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »

Charlie Dent
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2016, 01:10:12 AM »

In 2012, Ryan was the "conservative" balancing Romney's ticket.  Now, he's a "moderate"?  Why?

Because the Republican Party has been drifting right faster than a drunk driver on the freeway.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2016, 01:21:05 AM »

Scalise once gave a speech to a white supremacist group, so I suppose the Trumpists and the freedom caucus will like him.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2016, 05:29:30 AM »

Charlie Dent
that's, uh, one.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2016, 06:47:16 AM »

Charlie Dent as Speaker.  Redraw the House districts in OH, MI, IL, PA, VA, MD, and NC, with a ton of swing districts-- elect centrists from both parties, and bingo you have a Congress that can maybe get something done.

218 R, 217 D... with about 50 moderates, Nancy Pelosi retires and Dems choose someone like Brad Ashford.  Talking filibusters only in the Senate, which is tied.  Hillary or John Kasich as President.  Merrick Garland on the SC.
kyc0705

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2016, 07:15:40 AM by kyc0705 »

Because the Republican Party has been drifting right faster than a drunk driver on the freeway.

This is why I still consider myself an independent despite endorsing far more Democrats than Republicans. My main objection is this ideological track that the GOP has been on. It seems like a lot of prominent Republican figures are either sceaming rightward or statically watching the party get there.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »

Charlie Dent as Speaker.  Redraw the House districts in OH, MI, IL, PA, VA, MD, and NC, with a ton of swing districts-- elect centrists from both parties, and bingo you have a Congress that can maybe get something done.

218 R, 217 D... with about 50 moderates, Nancy Pelosi retires and Dems choose someone like Brad Ashford.  Talking filibusters only in the Senate, which is tied.  Hillary or John Kasich as President.  Merrick Garland on the SC.

Ugh, that sounds terrible.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies