Transition Team/Cabinet Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:11:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Transition Team/Cabinet Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54
Author Topic: Transition Team/Cabinet Thread  (Read 90117 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: January 17, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »

Too many vaccines can cause a weakening of our immune systems. If few people ever developed anything more serious than the common cold usually, mostly currently harmless flu strands would have death rates skyrocket. It is not healthy to prevent 99% of non-fatal diseases.

That is not true at all.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/109/1/124

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, in general, vaccines help. But if we all got vaccines for the flu, and never caught the flu, we would see genes die out over time that are resistant to the flu, and eventually be more susceptible if we did get it.

Vaccines, used appropriately, are almost always good and healthy. We need to make sure that there are never circumstances in which it is bad to ask questions. Being against vaccinations is one thing, but asking questions and learning about it? That is a sign of a healthy and functional society.
JMT

« Reply #1301 on: January 18, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-will-pick-sonny-perdue-to-lead-agriculture-233820

Sonny Perdue picked for AG secretary, formal announcement set for tomorrow.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1302 on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »

Fun Fact: Trump is the first president since Carter to not have a Hispanic member of his Cabinet.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1303 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:08 AM »

Fun Fact: Trump is the first president since Carter to not have a Hispanic member of his Cabinet.

Well only some of them are good people (apparently not enough for Trump to find someone to nominate).
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1304 on: January 19, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »

Well only some of them are good people (apparently not enough for Trump to find someone to nominate).

Trump has never actually met one that he likes. He assumes that some of them are good people.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1305 on: January 19, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »

I’m not surprised by this. Perdue is probably not the worst choice and not somebody who worries me. But he should have picked Abel Maldonado. I think it’s troubling that 80% of his cabinet members are old white men. Actually sad, because we’re a more diverse nation. Especially the number of women should be significantly higher.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1306 on: January 19, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »

I’m not surprised by this. Perdue is probably not the worst choice and not somebody who worries me. But he should have picked Abel Maldonado. I think it’s troubling that 80% of his cabinet members are old white men. Actually sad, because we’re a more diverse nation. Especially the number of women should be significantly higher.

Oh my God, give me a break. It shouldn't be troubling at all that he picked his cabinet in the way he did. Race and gender aren't a qualifier to becoming a cabinet secretary. I wouldn't want a cabinet formed up of people that were only selected because of race or gender. The only people that should be in the cabinet are the people that can help implement what the President wants to do and that is what Trump did.

But having 80% white men is unlikely by chance alone. So either:

1. The best people that can help implement what the President wants are predominantly white men.
2. There was an unconscious racial & gender bias in the selection process.
3. There was an explicit racial & gender bias in the selection process.
4. It happened that way by random chance.

You think 1 is that case, I assume. But any of 1, 2, or 3 is troubling and sad, as he said. 4 is possible but pretty unlikely.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #1307 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »

Oh my God, give me a break. It shouldn't be troubling at all that he picked his cabinet in the way he did. Race and gender aren't a qualifier to becoming a cabinet secretary. I wouldn't want a cabinet formed up of people that were only selected because of race or gender. The only people that should be in the cabinet are the people that can help implement what the President wants to do and that is what Trump did.

1. The best people that can help implement what the President wants are predominantly white men.

You think 1 is that case, I assume. But any of 1, 2, or 3 is troubling and sad, as he said. 4 is possible but pretty unlikely.

Republicans are more white and male than the average, by far, and people who go into politics are also skewed white and male. 80% makes more sense when placed into context. You're delusional if you ignore these facts and just assume the cabinet is like that because Trump is racist/sexist whatever
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1308 on: January 19, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »

Agree with emailking.

America is a diverse nation; we have 13% blacks (ok, ge got Carson, so that’s not bad), but more than 17% latino/hispanic. At least half of the US population are women. A decent number of citizens is under 60 years old. And all the Trumpster got are two or three women and a black guy and the rest old white men (at 54, Mnuchin is one the youngest). Come on. Shouldn’t the cabinet in some ways represent the diversity of this nation? I agree that selections should be made based on competence and integrity. But out of all these women, latinos and dudes under age 55, including many Republicans, there is nobody else capable for these jobs? Give me a break.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1309 on: January 19, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »

Perry is doing better here than he ever did in either of his presidential campaigns.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1310 on: January 19, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »

You're delusional if you ignore these facts and just assume the cabinet is like that because Trump is racist/sexist whatever

I didn't assume that.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1311 on: January 19, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »

Perry is doing better here than he ever did in either of his presidential campaigns.

For all the jokes about "oops" I actually don't think he's a terrible choice for Energy
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1312 on: January 19, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »

Guys, even if you think it's silly to impose quotas or whatever, you shouldn't be getting horribly het up and offended (dare I say triggered?) about the suggestion that maybe, just maybe, Trump's Cabinet being woefully demographically unbalanced is a worrying sign of a partial or sectional set of policies and interests.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1313 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/822137119414120448
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1314 on: January 19, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »

The diversity of the country is irrelevant to selecting cabinet nominees. You do have a point that there is more people qualified to the jobs more than likely but at the end of the day it is who Trump can work with the best that gets a cabinet job. Gender doesn't matter; age doesn't matter; race doesn't matter. The broader argument you're conveying is essentially that because America is so diverse we should have a cabinet that is equivalent to the racial and gender percentages in America. The cabinet isn't supposed to reflect the population of the United States, it is to implement policy decisions that the President allows. I would also just like to reiterate that race, gender and even age do not matter at all.

But it's the fact that they shouldn't matter that makes the end result troubling. Somewhere, they're mattering. Maybe they're mattering in Trump's mind. Maybe they're mattering the composition of the Republican party (and conversely of the Democratic party). Maybe they're mattering in the kind of people who can get ahead in this world. Each of these possibilities is sad and troubling in its own way. If race and gender didn't matter at all then the composition of the cabinet would look like the composition of America in terms of race and gender with a high degree of likelihood. And that wouldn't be because race and gender were taken into account in the selection process. It would be because they weren't.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1315 on: January 19, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »

Oh my God, give me a break. It shouldn't be troubling at all that he picked his cabinet in the way he did.

It's very troubling that he picked a cabinet based on how they look on TV.

It's almost like he's an insane idiot who thinks he's playing the President on a Reality TV show.

(Maybe he really is the heir to Reagan! /snark)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1316 on: January 19, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »

For all the jokes about "oops" I actually don't think he's a terrible choice for Energy

Trump almost certainly could've done worse - he could've picked my Governor! Or even Joe Manchin!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1317 on: January 19, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »

Woody Johnson is going to be Ambassador to the UK..........
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1318 on: January 19, 2017, 03:45:33 PM »

Have no idea who this is, but hilarious that he's named after a dick twice.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1319 on: January 19, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »

He owns the NY Jets........who suck the big one, so his name fits.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1320 on: January 19, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »

That's the gang from West Side Story right?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1321 on: January 19, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »

Hallelujah that means he won't be running the day to day operations of the Jets anymore
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1322 on: January 19, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »

Hallelujah that means he won't be running the day to day operations of the Jets anymore

This might be the best thing to happen to Jets fans in decades
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1323 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »

That's the gang from West Side Story right?

Trump needs someone to keep him cool, boy.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1324 on: January 20, 2017, 03:29:48 AM »

Trump has never actually met one that he likes. He assumes that some of them are good people.

Good point.  But hey, at least he has an open mind.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies