turnout reports, voting problems, and last minute dirty tricks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:41:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  turnout reports, voting problems, and last minute dirty tricks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: turnout reports, voting problems, and last minute dirty tricks  (Read 17974 times)
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »

I am shocked at how long the lines are in many places in the US.

Don't the people have to go to work or school at some point ?

Why not assign every voter to a certain precinct in which they HAVE to vote and not crowd single precincts. Also, for f**ks sake, simply create more precincts.

I have never seen a precinct here in Austria where people wait more than 5 minutes.

Schools are closed for the most part.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »

The ordeal surrounding voting in the US always sounds so bizarre. I never had to wait in line or even spend more than a few minutes to bother about voting.

Though I guess inner city area and not being the victim of voter suppression goes a long way towards that.

Yeah, it is what happens when elections are run on the cheap. In Mexico they open nearly 150,000 polling stations, and no station can have more than 750 registered voters. I have never had to walk more than 3 or 4 blocks to a station, and the longest I once waited was about 15 or 20 min: usually you show up, vote your 6 ballots and are out in 15 in total. But it is a huge logistical exercise, and costs a pretty penny.

Roughly the same like here and in Sweden.

Austria for example has 11.000 precincts for 6.4 million voters. That's 580 voters per precinct, but 15% vote with postal ballots, so it's closer to 500 per precinct.

In the US, it seems there are about 5.000 voters per precinct ...
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »

the line things is bollocks for me too.....there is a clear lack of voting stations.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »

Why not assign every voter to a certain precinct in which they HAVE to vote and not crowd single precincts. Also, for f**ks sake, simply create more precincts.

I have never seen a precinct here in Austria where people wait more than 5 minutes.

They are assigned to precincts they have to vote in.

I was disenfranchised back in the 2014 primary because we didn't have a vehicle and our ride took us to the wrong place just an hour before she had to take my mom to work so there was no time to go to the right place. This was despite my pleading with them that they were going to the wrong place.

They did everything they could to get us out of the voting place without voting and only after we insisted on voting, they gave us provisional ballots and we had to list the reason for why we couldn't get to the right polling place. They basically told us that there was very little chance it would be counted.

#NCVotingftw! Roll Eyes
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »

The ordeal surrounding voting in the US always sounds so bizarre. I never had to wait in line or even spend more than a few minutes to bother about voting.

Though I guess inner city area and not being the victim of voter suppression goes a long way towards that.

Yeah, it is what happens when elections are run on the cheap. In Mexico they open nearly 150,000 polling stations, and no station can have more than 750 registered voters. I have never had to walk more than 3 or 4 blocks to a station, and the longest I once waited was about 15 or 20 min: usually you show up, vote your 6 ballots and are out in 15 in total. But it is a huge logistical exercise, and costs a pretty penny.

Austria for example has 11.000 precincts for 6.4 million voters. That's 580 voters per precinct, but 15% vote with postal ballots, so it's closer to 500 per precinct.

We do not have any domestic postal vote. If you are out of town for a national election you could go to one of the special precincts set for that purpose  in places like airports, but there are only 900 of them nationwide, if I recall correctly, and they have few ballots to avoid them being used for fraud.  The only postal ballot is for those resident abroad, and using this option is non-trivial, so there are only a few tens of thousands of such votes in total: with an electorate of over 80 mln.

BTW, who staffs your precincts?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »

In Indiana it generally is 200-1500. Lines usually happen just because 6-8 is when the vast majority of people vote.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »

They are assigned to precincts they have to vote in.

That's good, but it then seems the problem is simply that there are too few precincts.

And the additional problem of election day being a workday, instead of a Sunday like here where voting throughout the day is more even - rather than in the US, where people line up before and after work.
boske94
Rookie
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »

In Croatia we have 6700 polling stations for 3.8 million voters, or 560 voters per polling station.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2016, 09:14:34 AM »

We do not have any domestic postal vote. If you are out of town for a national election you could go to one of the special precincts set for that purpose  in places like airports, but there are only 900 of them nationwide, if I recall correctly, and they have few ballots to avoid them being used for fraud.  The only postal ballot is for those resident abroad, and using this option is non-trivial, so there are only a few tens of thousands of such votes in total: with an electorate of over 80 mln.

Municipal clerks and party officials from all parties. All parties have a strong organisation in all towns and many volunteers, so it's pretty easy to find election officials here who are supervising the election process.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »

In Croatia we have 6700 polling stations for 3.8 million voters, or 560 voters per polling station.

This is a good average. Our maximum is 750, as soon as it is bigger, it is divided into two alphabetically. Mine had 483 registered voters at the last election, my wife's 484.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »

Here in Austria, there are also some precincts (some small towns of only a 100 or 200 people) which already close at 11am or noon or 1pm, because 80-90% have already voted by then.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »

We do not have any domestic postal vote. If you are out of town for a national election you could go to one of the special precincts set for that purpose  in places like airports, but there are only 900 of them nationwide, if I recall correctly, and they have few ballots to avoid them being used for fraud.  The only postal ballot is for those resident abroad, and using this option is non-trivial, so there are only a few tens of thousands of such votes in total: with an electorate of over 80 mln.

Municipal clerks and party officials from all parties. All parties have a strong organisation in all towns and many volunteers, so it's pretty easy to find election officials here who are supervising the election process.

We have a draft, jury-duty style. For a federal election it is nearly 1,500,000 staffers and trained substitutes, which are called up and trained by 38,000 temporary electoral commission employees over several months. Parties send additional observers, of course (all 9 of them, not counting the state-only parties). Incredible exercise.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »

We have a draft, jury-duty style. For a federal election it is nearly 1,500,000 staffers and trained substitutes, which are called up and trained by 38,000 temporary electoral commission employees over several months. Parties send additional observers, of course (all 9 of them, not counting the state-only parties). Incredible exercise.

The ÖVP Interior Minister also suggested a jury-duty system for election workers after the original presidential runoff in May with mandatory e-learning programs. Even though the e-learning system was introduced now, the jury-duty system was scrapped because the party officials said that they will easily find the staff that is needed.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »

What I'd find extremely funny/or shocking would be if there are long lines in NV or FL today, where 70% have already voted early ... Tongue
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »

in the infamous austrian presidential election 2016 the city of vienna used 1500 voting stations for 1150000 possible voters.

sounds like philly is similar.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »

The ÖVP Interior Minister also suggested a jury-duty system for election workers after the original presidential runoff in May with mandatory e-learning programs. Even though the e-learning system was introduced now, the jury-duty system was scrapped because the party officials said that they will easily find the staff that is needed.

We do not trust our parties here.  They are welcome to observe, though.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2016, 09:25:36 AM »

Not sure if this was posted or where it should go but a couple of FL counties are apparently live-updating turnout: http://www.livevoterturnout.com/Hills/ElectionDayPartyTurnout.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »

in the infamous austrian presidential election 2016 the city of vienna used 1500 voting stations for 1150000 possible voters.

sounds like philly is similar.

In Vienna, 25% of all voters voted by postal ballot though. So, it's also 500 voters per precinct like in the rural parts of the country.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2016, 09:33:05 AM »

Longest line ever in a very conservative area of Wisconsin.
https://mobile.twitter.com/MattBatzel/status/795995059489488896
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2016, 09:34:25 AM »

Sounds like a hyperbole to me.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »

That's basically the report so far out of everywhere, as far as I can tell. Turnout's gonna be through the roof.
boske94
Rookie
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2016, 09:34:56 AM »

We also have (pre)election silence. Election day is on Sunday, and from Saturday 12AM until Sunday 7PM (when polls are closing) all media (TV stations, websites, newspapers) don't publish anything about campaing and election. Candidates aren't allowed to campaign in that period also. So we have real silence in these two days, which is blessing after months of campaign. On Election day, State election committee gives turnout details for every municipality and city at 11AM and 4PM so we can make some predictions based on that data.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »

We have 6000 precincts for 7 million voters, but only 60% vote on ED.  We don't have postal voting, but in-person early voting only. And when voting early, you may vote where you want. In fact, I have always voted early.

And we have 80-90% turnout Cheesy
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:43 AM »

We have 6000 precincts for 7 million voters, but only 60% vote on ED.  We don't have postal voting, but in-person early voting only. And when voting early, you may vote where you want. In fact, I have always voted early.

And we have 80-90% turnout Cheesy

I know, Austria used to be like Sweden turnout-wise until the mid-1990s with 90-95% turnouts.

Obviously, this was because of (non-enforced) mandatory voting, which was scrapped in the early 1990s.

Now, it's "just" 75-85% in most elections - which is not all that bad.

Early voting only exists in some state elections here, in Styria/Carinthia and Burgenland. Every state can make their own voting laws (everything is pretty de-centralized here, like in the US).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »

My precinct had under 500 votes in 2012. Of course, turnout and all, but still.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies