Michigan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:20:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michigan  (Read 2510 times)
rafta_rafta

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:39:07 PM »

Do you think Trump can win here? Turnout is higher according to reports
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »

Do you think Trump can win here? Turnout is higher according to reports

High turnout should be bad for Trump. Low turnout should be great for him. At least that's what the conventional wisdom is saying, due to Trump's core supporters being the most energized. On the other hand however, Trump's core supporters have some of the lowest previous voting turnout record of any demographic group. So I guess it could hit both ways perhaps. Perhaps both extremely low and extremely high turnout would be good for Trump, while medium level turnout would be best for Clinton. Tongue
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 05:58:47 PM »

Is Michigan in 2016 the Pennsylvania of 2012?
Nichlemn

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 05:59:42 PM »

My nightmare is Trump ekes out victories in his must-win states, then wins MI on an unexpected white non-college turnout.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 06:07:24 PM »

Is Michigan in 2016 the Pennsylvania of 2012?

Most definitely. I really don't see that happening for him.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »

If he pulls out a shocker (which may still not be enough to win), it's probably here. The state is uniquely well-suited for him this year.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »

I am worried about Macomb County..Turnout is on the higher side.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »

IF Turnout is high in Michigan = Clinton winning! There isn't enough rural hicks to over take the cities if turnout is high.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 06:41:21 PM »

IF Turnout is high in Michigan = Clinton winning! There isn't enough rural hicks to over take the cities if turnout is high.

Rural isn't the concern. It'd be blue collar Trump supporters. Think usual Dems in Wayne, Macomb, Oakland
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »

My nightmare is Trump ekes out victories in his must-win states, then wins MI on an unexpected white non-college turnout.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »

Dreams come true in Blue Hawaii, lol!
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »

Rural isn't the concern. It'd be blue collar Trump supporters. Think usual Dems in Wayne, Macomb, Oakland
Exactly. In winning, Trump did better in Wayne County (Detroit) than in Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor), not to mention 10 points better in Macomb than in Oakland.
Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »

Exactly. In winning, Trump did better in Wayne County (Detroit) than in Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor), not to mention 10 points better in Macomb than in Oakland.

There was a big turnout in Michigan which led to Trump winning.
Andy Hine
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »

Good job Michigan. You helped put the orange pussy grabbing stooge in the white house.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »

Good job Michigan. You helped put the orange pussy grabbing stooge in the white house.

Is that really necessary?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »

Is that really necessary?

Yes.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 06:02:37 PM »

I had never been more ashamed of my state in my life.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 12:45:04 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 12:48:26 AM by Hammy »

There was a big turnout in Michigan which led to Trump winning.

No. There was a slightly bigger turnout (about 80,000 more voters) than 2012, but 130,000 less people voted for the top two parties. Clinton being a terrible candidate that progressives and skeptical moderates didn't want to put their support behind led to Trump winning. This argument could more easily be made in Pennsylvania, where turnout for both parties was higher than 2012, but Clinton lost Michigan (and Wisconsin) due to utter lack of enthusiasm for her candidacy, leading many to either vote third party or not vote at all.
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2017, 05:57:41 AM by Axel Foley »

Prior to the election would have been fool to say this, but now we could safely say that Trump won Michigan( or Clinton lost it) thanks to Wayne and Genesee Counties. Yes, rural vote and return of Reagan Dems in Macomb, but it was Clinton dramatic underperformance in the two biggest Dem counties that doomed her in Michigan, while Wasthenaw( predictably) and...Kent nearly saved her. Crazy election.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »

I do not see Trump carrying MI or WI in 2020.  This was a fluke event, and a rejection of a candidate whose husband was responsible for NAFTA, whose personality was, quite frankly, unbearable for many Americans.

The Democrats need to rebuild their bases in MI, WI, and PA.  They're not going about it the right way.  But it was their support for the working classes in places like MI, WI, and PA that made the Democratic Party what it once was, and not the Identity Politics Sewer it threatens to become.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 04:04:35 AM »

A Republican will win Michigan and Wisconsin. The blue collar white vote is trending GOP and I can see hostility to NAFTA and future free trade pacts being a GOP mainstay -- which is enough to win both states, coupled with cultural nationalism.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »

I do not see Trump carrying MI or WI in 2020.  This was a fluke event, and a rejection of a candidate whose husband was responsible for NAFTA, whose personality was, quite frankly, unbearable for many Americans.

The Democrats need to rebuild their bases in MI, WI, and PA.  They're not going about it the right way.  But it was their support for the working classes in places like MI, WI, and PA that made the Democratic Party what it once was, and not the Identity Politics Sewer it threatens to become.
I agree. There were more BLANK votes than votes that separated Trump and Clinton. The problem was lack of enthusiasm and poor campaigning. What an inept campaign ran by HRC and co. Smh.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies