Why was Atlas so delusional about the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:43:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why was Atlas so delusional about the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why was Atlas so delusional about the election?  (Read 1954 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:37:37 AM »

You look at Atlas & it is seems like a Clinton Superpac or fanclub.

Why was it so cut off from reality? Every poll with Trump leading was attacked & mocked - People were delusional that Trump would win in a landslide?

People refused to acknowledge how bad a candidate Clinton was.

Why is this?

Are people genuinely star struck & Clinton fans?

Were people naive?

Or are they many Super pac paid people? We know that David Brock has spend Millions of $ to hire people to post online about Clinton!

I personally think it is a combination of all 3 -? Star-struck fans. some naive people & some Super pac trolls possibly ( who will disappear from this forum soon)
rafta_rafta

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 04:39:43 AM »

oh please stop the BS.

The reason Atlas was bullish on Clinton was the polls and how a godawful candidate Trump was. Bush 43 lost a million votes because of a DUI arrest two decades ago. Everyone assumed that Trump's offensive rhetoric would lead to losses with the general electorate. Which did happen, though it was offset by uneducated whites who turned up in droves
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:40:37 AM »

It wasn't Atlas. Nobody expected the Donald to win this thing. No serious political analyst or commentator saw this coming. Especially because of the polls and Hillary's pretended easy road to 270.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 04:43:09 AM »

It wasn't Atlas. Nobody expected the Donald to win this thing. No serious political analyst or commentator saw this coming. Especially because of the polls and Hillary's pretended easy road to 270.

Smiley My nick during last week was Little Big Brexit though Tongue
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 04:43:26 AM »

oh please stop the BS.

The reason Atlas was bullish on Clinton was the polls and how a godawful candidate Trump was. Bush 43 lost a million votes because of a DUI arrest two decades ago. Everyone assumed that Trump's offensive rhetoric would lead to losses with the general electorate. Which did happen, though it was offset by uneducated whites who turned up in droves

That is not true. Trump has done very well among hispanics - In many states he has beaten or is close to Romney's numbers. He has also beaten Romney in black votes.

Clinton has also under-performed among minority groups.

This is my precise questions - Why are people delusional enough to not realize something like this could happen? Still you guys are blaming on uneducated whites!

Every poll with Trump winning was hammered - When the entire media was working for Clinton & people said so in exit polls you guys refused to acknowledge it.

Clinton had many scams but they were barely posted, shot down while this forum was full of degrading Trump posts!

Why was this forum so delusional?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 04:44:56 AM »

Muh superior GOTV would give 2% points extra to polls
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 04:45:04 AM »

Smiley

Agreed that Trump was the underdog & people didn't see him winning but Atlas was on a war path shooting down everything negative about Clinton & bashing Trump.

Every poll with Trump is lead was trashed & so on! Atlas has like Clinton winning 500 EV seats or so. 80% of the people are Clinton fans? Why is this so lopsided with so little tolerance?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »

Smiley

Agreed that Trump was the underdog & people didn't see him winning but Atlas was on a war path shooting down everything negative about Clinton & bashing Trump.

Every poll with Trump is lead was trashed & so on! Atlas has like Clinton winning 500 EV seats or so. 80% of the people are Clinton fans? Why is this so lopsided with so little tolerance?

Because Atlas is mostly can't think logically and lives in its own bubble? Just look at 538 thread.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 04:52:00 AM »

You look at Atlas & it is seems like a Clinton Superpac or fanclub.

Why was it so cut off from reality? Every poll with Trump leading was attacked & mocked - People were delusional that Trump would win in a landslide?

People refused to acknowledge how bad a candidate Clinton was.

Why is this?

Are people genuinely star struck & Clinton fans?

Were people naive?

Or are they many Super pac paid people? We know that David Brock has spend Millions of $ to hire people to post online about Clinton!

I personally think it is a combination of all 3 -? Star-struck fans. some naive people & some Super pac trolls possibly ( who will disappear from this forum soon)

Hold up. There were a lot of us bedwetters around, who were seriously afraid that we would lose. I was in a perpetual state of panic since the comey letter dropped and was only just getting more positive right before the election.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 04:55:25 AM »

Asking this is like asking how the heck anyone could've thought Dewey wouldn't win '48 and you know it.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 05:02:14 AM »

Because we believed in the good nature of humankind.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 05:09:51 AM »

I saw this coming. I'll probably have a 92% prediction depending on NH.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 05:15:12 AM »

We were wrong for the right reasons. You were right for the wrong reasons. If you predicted a Trump win, you relied on gut that was not at the time borne out by factual metrics. But I guess we should start getting used to the "culture of gut" too though, because rationality is now out the window.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 05:20:12 AM »

Because atlas relied on polling which drastically underestimated white working class turnout like Brexit.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 05:20:39 AM »

We were wrong for the right reasons. You were right for the wrong reasons. If you predicted a Trump win, you relied on gut that was not at the time borne out by factual metrics. But I guess we should start getting used to the "culture of gut" too though, because rationality is now out the window.

I predicted a Clinton win by 1% odd - A narrow win.

I thought Trump would win IW, FL, NC, OH & maybe NH (when none of you believed it). I thought Clinton would hold CO & NV.

But I never EVER thought he would win Wisconsin or Pennsylvania or Michigan. I thought maybe he would give a real scare at Michigan & come within 2-3% but I never predicted this rust belt rout!

It is incredibly sad not just because of Trump presidency but because he will have a GOP Senate or House!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »

Probably all of the fear mongering. Hard to think normally when a kook is constantly posting replies about how Trump will for sure no joke murder every single American family because something something hayte.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »

oh please stop the BS.

LA times tracker, IBD times, that Brexit polling company, and Trafalgar all showed an incoming Trump victory. Red Avatars just refused to accept it based on their bias. 
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 08:11:37 PM »

This.
Desroko
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »

oh please stop the BS.

LA times tracker, IBD times, that Brexit polling company, and Trafalgar all showed an incoming Trump victory. Red Avatars just refused to accept it based on their bias. 

The LA Times poll, for one, missed the margin by about 6-7 points.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »

and they are still less correct than the traditional national polls.

C +2 is going to be the closest result.

if you want to find fault, look at ludicrous state polls. Wink

and the bedwetter were correct too!!111!!

in general:

well....was a hell of a ride with lots of fun...campaigning is just a very exclusive thrill and losing or winning high is part of it.

can't remember when if felt so thoroughly crushed the last time...but that's life.

wish you all the best....going to take a little break and recharging my batteries. Smiley
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »

I literally changed my display name to model the consistent bedwetter [I'm changing it back and using it only for election cycles] to make a point.

I admit the debates [the third one anyway] made me second guess those doubts, but the Icelandic results, Comeyghazi, and the State Polls all made it obvious again the way pneumonia 9/11 signaled my name switch.

EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »

Did it miss the popular vote? Yes, but that's not its purpose. It was/is meant to measure who is winning the race overall. And in that, it was among a total of four that showed Trump winning the rest of the pollsters were calling it a done deal for Clinton.

As a sidenote Red Avatars, how does it feel going into 2020 knowing that Trafalgar was the most accurate poster this cycle?
Desroko
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »

Did it miss the popular vote? Yes, but that's not its purpose.

That is literally its purpose.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »

It's tracker poll, meant more to chart the general flow of the race and who has momentum. But by your logical, only R-leaning pollsters were the closest on the popular vote margin.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »

any poll which didn't show this race to be either tied or +1 point for one of the candidates wasn't correct in any meaningful way.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies