What's the future of the Democratic Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What's the future of the Democratic Party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is the demographic and ideological future of the Democratic Party?
Driving up support among College educated Whites, women, millenials, and minorities
Appealing more to working class and/or non-college educated Whites
Sanders-Warren social democratic populism
Clinton-Obama social progressivism, pro-globalization
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What's the future of the Democratic Party?  (Read 1345 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »

Considering this stunning defeat suffered by Sec. Clinton and the Democratic Party at virtually every level of government, despite the success of many liberal favored ballot initiatives, the question must now become this – what is the future of the Democratic Party? The Clinton coalition was essentially intended to be that of college educated Whites, women, minorities, and millennial voters. This resulted in an unprecedented chasm between rural and urban America, cost her and the Democratic politicians their elections, yet still yielded a victory in the popular vote. With the Democratic bench for 2020 looking incredibly weak (Warren will be 71 by then, making her an unlikely prospect), there must be a transformation in the party – including its core philosophy.

There are two futures, as I see it. One is that of the more Progressive, class based politics of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. Bernie was capable of endearing working class people to his message without compromising his progressive social views, which demonstrates the possibility of wedding class-based, worker oriented and socially progressive politics. This would reorient the party to a focus on economic populism of a more Social Democratic variety, including a greater emphasis on including members of the White Working Class and non-college educated Whites. The other path is to double-down on the Clinton coalition, which emphasizes a global community, social inclusion, and a general affiliation with more upper-middle class values, along with a moderate left, pro-globalization, business tolerant economic platform. Either of these options will ultimately leave many disappointed, but only one can really win.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:08:23 PM »

Considering this stunning defeat suffered by Sec. Clinton and the Democratic Party at virtually every level of government, despite the success of many liberal favored ballot initiatives, the question must now become this – what is the future of the Democratic Party? The Clinton coalition was essentially intended to be that of college educated Whites, women, minorities, and millennial voters. This resulted in an unprecedented chasm between rural and urban America, cost her and the Democratic politicians their elections, yet still yielded a victory in the popular vote. With the Democratic bench for 2020 looking incredibly weak (Warren will be 71 by then, making her an unlikely prospect), there must be a transformation in the party – including its core philosophy.

There are two futures, as I see it. One is that of the more Progressive, class based politics of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. Bernie was capable of endearing working class people to his message without compromising his progressive social views, which demonstrates the possibility of wedding class-based, worker oriented and socially progressive politics. This would reorient the party to a focus on economic populism of a more Social Democratic variety, including a greater emphasis on including members of the White Working Class and non-college educated Whites. The other path is to double-down on the Clinton coalition, which emphasizes a global community, social inclusion, and a general affiliation with more upper-middle class values, along with a moderate left, pro-globalization, business tolerant economic platform. Either of these options will ultimately leave many disappointed, but only one can really win.
What would be the con of each one of those things?  There are limited problems with both paths. We are never going to do well again in MO,IN and may not in OH and IA. I still think we must win MI AND PA and WI. These places are losing votes and we need to keep focusing on AZ,GA,NC and FL and on keeping NV and CO. We need to go where the votes are.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:10:54 AM »

You need both, and something more.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 01:17:24 AM »

This election clearly showed that appeal to the working class is needed, and the democrats need to do away with the perception that they're anti-rural and have a different culture to blue-collar Americans.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 05:17:36 AM »

The second path is simply not viable: college-educated white Republicans will never vote for tax raises, and this is why Trump won.

Also, I don't think you can win back blue-collar rustbelt whites with just economic populism because their alienation expresses itself in cultural terms. Democrats will have to moderate on some social issues as well.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 05:46:28 AM »

She did win the popular vote in all fairness
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 05:48:55 AM »

Which doesn't mean much when there's an inbuilt bias in the American electoral system against cities and in favour of rural areas. With their current coalition Democrats have to do more than just win the popular vote.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »

Which doesn't mean much when there's an inbuilt bias in the American electoral system against cities and in favour of rural areas. With their current coalition Democrats have to do more than just win the popular vote.

Which is odd because we heard so much before the election how the Dems had an inbuilt bias in the electoral college that made it so hard for Republicans to win.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:48:26 PM »

We have to find different positions. Stop being democrats never works. That why we have only 1 or 2 prolife Democrat in the senate left.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »

Considering how liberals are further demonizing whites, I don't see anything but the last option continuing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »

Considering how liberals are further demonizing whites, I don't see anything but the last option continuing.
What did Obama do that Gore or Kerry didn't?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »

What did Obama do that Gore or Kerry didn't?

That won't be getting an answer, haha.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 08:47:15 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2016, 08:51:20 PM by Snowguy716 »

If it's 1 and/or 4... it will be a party without me in it.  We cant continue with the polarization we have now.  Options 1 and 4 only exacerbate that.  Whether it should or not is beside the question.  It does.

And don't misconstrue what I said as being anti social progress or anti globalization or anti minority or anti women.  We cant win with only that right now.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:39:11 PM »

4 would most likely get me to become a Democrat, 3 would not. So you probably want to choose 3. Tongue
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »

4 would most likely get me to become a Democrat, 3 would not. So you probably want to choose 3. Tongue

If that's the case, why weren't you already a Democrat?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 10:11:52 PM »

Well, basically, I consider myself overall more right-wing than left-wing. However, on the nationalist vs. globalist scale, I am very much a globalist, so if that becomes the primary divide between the parties down the road, I will align myself with the Democrats.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 11:00:54 PM »

I expect the Democratic Party will be banned in the next four years.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 11:23:05 PM »

Well, basically, I consider myself overall more right-wing than left-wing. However, on the nationalist vs. globalist scale, I am very much a globalist, so if that becomes the primary divide between the parties down the road, I will align myself with the Democrats.

That's my greatest fear of the Sanders/Warren left - a rejection of globalization. Our world must become more interconnected and interdependent. Reverting back to days of trade barriers and such is ridiculous and counterproductive. Instead, we should be focusing on demanding better worker and environmental rights from our trade partners, no more currency manipulation, and not let our trade deals be run by multinational corporations. We need to expand trade and immigration, not cut back on it.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:52 PM »

The answer is very clearly number 3, and to an extent number 2. If Democrats don't realize this and nominate someone like Cuomo in 2020, then they'll have learned nothing.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »

Lean options 1 and 3, and they're not mutually exclusive.  Democrats can further embrace Sanders/Warren social democratic populism, but that's no guarantee they'll do much better among working class whites, many of whom will still vote on cultural issues.  Maybe it will help the Democrats a little, and it shouldn't hurt much among minorities or well-educated whites.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 02:23:30 AM »

Options 1 and 3.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 06:55:36 AM »

And Trump is Trump. He was a definite drag on GOP enthusiasm in some areas. The GOP needs to worry about changing demographics, but the Democrats need to worry about more 'professional' populists.

A right-populist with a better family life and toned down rhetoric could be quite powerful.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 06:59:36 AM »

1 and 3. 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive, and someone needs to be doing 1 because these people need a voice.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 09:14:16 AM »

1 and 3. 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive, and someone needs to be doing 1 because these people need a voice.
Basically acknowledge that elites suck and that fascism is not the answer.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »

Why do people keep talking about college educated Whites like they're in any way a Democratic group?  Lol
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies