How will Democrats shed the elitist image in time for 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:35:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How will Democrats shed the elitist image in time for 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How will Democrats shed the elitist image in time for 2020?  (Read 2788 times)
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »

I think that it is pretty safe to say that it is Hillary Clinton's, and her supporters', open elitism which cost Clinton the EC. How will the party take steps to reverse this by 2020?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »

First of all. No one that we all know should be nominated for President in 2020 or 2024. Or they are not yet a politician.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:13:45 PM »

Well after losing 2004 for being a law school educated, out of touch Senator from a liberal state the democrats nominated a slightly less wealthy, law school educated Senator from a liberal state.

We didn't need John Edwards in 2008; we don't need candidate x for 2020
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »

Stop inviting Sarah Silverman to the DNC. Keep inviting union leaders, activists, and politicians representing working class constituencies.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »

Oh wait, IceSpear's not here.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 05:54:06 PM »

Replace the current leadership with younger, fresher faces. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer just drip with elitism.
TDwest6
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 08:39:39 PM »

They cannot - the long term members of the party are too elitist and they will not go anywhere
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »

Stop inviting Sarah Silverman to the DNC. Keep inviting union leaders, activists, and politicians representing working class constituencies.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »

I don't know the exact answer, but 4 years is a long time in politics. I'm sure folks in 2012 were pondering how the GOP could shed its elitist image after Romney.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 08:52:59 PM »

Replace the current leadership with younger, fresher faces. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer just drip with elitism.

Good god. She hasn't been speaker for six years. How is she still the Dem leader in the House?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 09:05:55 PM »

In all honesty, we can't. Not without sacrificing our ideals. Bernie Sanders is a very unique individual and there simply aren't many like him who can be both an intellectual and a man of the people. Jeremy Corbyn comes to mind, but he's British. The Democratic platform of social justice appeals to minorities and college educated Whites; not to non-college educated Whites. We are a party of diverse groups; African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic immigrants, Atheists, Muslims, and so on. The working class White man from eastern Ohio doesn't care about social justice issues; if anything, he supports the police rather than BLM and "clean" coal over stricter environmental regulations.

I would love to have a Democratic Party that can appeal to the White working class, colleged educated Whites, and minorities at sufficient levels to regain and maintain control over the institutions of government. Unfortunately, one of these groups must be lost in order to hold power with the others. I just hope I'm wrong.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 09:11:46 PM »

Good god. She hasn't been speaker for six years. How is she still the Dem leader in the House?

She is power hungry in my opinion. She should give it up before 2020.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »

In all honesty, we can't. Not without sacrificing our ideals. Bernie Sanders is a very unique individual and there simply aren't many like him who can be both an intellectual and a man of the people. Jeremy Corbyn comes to mind, but he's British. The Democratic platform of social justice appeals to minorities and college educated Whites; not to non-college educated Whites. We are a party of diverse groups; African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic immigrants, Atheists, Muslims, and so on. The working class White man from eastern Ohio doesn't care about social justice issues; if anything, he supports the police rather than BLM and "clean" coal over stricter environmental regulations.

I would love to have a Democratic Party that can appeal to the White working class, colleged educated Whites, and minorities at sufficient levels to regain and maintain control over the institutions of government. Unfortunately, one of these groups must be lost in order to hold power with the others. I just hope I'm wrong.
I mean this in the kindest way possible and with all due respect, but I think you're wrong. The Democratic Party has always been the party of building ingenious demographic coalitions with strong and lasting bonds. We slip up from time to time and the coalition doesn't always hold up, but time and time again the Democratic Party is able to rebuild. We need something like the New Deal coalition again, and we won't get it just by driving up minority turnout and hoping for the best.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

I mean this in the kindest way possible and with all due respect, but I think you're wrong. The Democratic Party has always been the party of building ingenious demographic coalitions with strong and lasting bonds. We slip up from time to time and the coalition doesn't always hold up, but time and time again the Democratic Party is able to rebuild. We need something like the New Deal coalition again, and we won't get it just by driving up minority turnout and hoping for the best.

It's not that I disagree with you because if you saw my other recent posts, I want us to reach out to and become the party of the working class again. But I also fear that in so doing we may have to compromise our social justice values to achieve this. Unless we can miraculously staff the party with Sanders and Brown types, I don't see how we achieve this.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:27:55 PM »

I just want to say that i think there should be an immediate mutiny in the Senate and that Chuck Schemer should be marginalized. 

He is the exact opposite type of person to lead the rebrand the democratic party and to pursue new strategies to appeal to the working class.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »

John bel Edwads?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »

It's not that I disagree with you because if you saw my other recent posts, I want us to reach out to and become the party of the working class again. But I also fear that in so doing we may have to compromise our social justice values to achieve this. Unless we can miraculously staff the party with Sanders and Brown types, I don't see how we achieve this.
I think it is a bit pessimistic to say that social justice and the goals of the white working class are incompatible. The white working class didn't leave the party when abortion became a headline issue, or when gay marriage was added to the platform. The working class left the party when neoliberalism took over. When we stopped talking about unions, trade and poverty and only started talking about social justice.

We can do both. We just have to make sure that all members of the coalition get their piece of the pie.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »

I think it is a bit pessimistic to say that social justice and the goals of the white working class are incompatible. The white working class didn't leave the party when abortion became a headline issue, or when gay marriage was added to the platform. The working class left the party when neoliberalism took over. When we stopped talking about unions, trade and poverty and only started talking about social justice.

We can do both. We just have to make sure that all members of the coalition get their piece of the pie.

Preach, brah!
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 09:41:13 PM »

He's a cisgender, heterosexual white male from the Deep South.  That's five strikes against him already in today's Democratic Party.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »

He's a cisgender, heterosexual white male from the Deep South.  That's five strikes against him already in today's Democratic Party.

This is exactly the image that we do need to shed. Someone needs to be judged based on qualifications, not race and gender. Of course the Republican party needs to learn this as well.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »

He's a cisgender, heterosexual white male from the Deep South.  That's five strikes against him already in today's Democratic Party.

I would hope that would really matter is none of that but that he's too conservative.

BTW, cis hetro white male politicians from the South who are progressive have existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hightower
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 09:57:46 PM »

Preach, brah!

Seconded. This grip of neoliberalism on our party must be routed just like it was in Britain's Labour Party. Hopefully with Sanders and Warren (maybe Ellsion, if he becomes DNC Chair) as the de facto leaders of the party we can reestablish ourselves as the party of *all* the underprivileged.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »

Preach, brah!

Seconded. This grip of neoliberalism on our party must be routed just like it was in Britain's Labour Party. Hopefully with Sanders and Warren (maybe Ellsion, if he becomes DNC Chair) as the de facto leaders of the party we can reestablish ourselves as the party of *all* the underprivileged.
When Martin O'Malley was forced to apologize for saying "All Lives Matter," that's when I knew the radical SJW cucks took over your party.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 10:17:26 PM »

Preach, brah!

When Martin O'Malley was forced to apologize for saying "All Lives Matter," that's when I knew the radical SJW cucks took over your party.

I can understand both sides' positions on this issue. Supporters of BLM are simply trying to make the point that Black lives in America matter just as much as Hispanic, White, and Asian lives, yet they feel that theirs are the ones not valued equally. Saying "all lives matter" in response essentially ignores their complaint; it's like saying "all cancer matters" during breast cancer awareness month. Everyone knows all cancer matters, just as everyone (with a brain) knows all lives matter. It's that black lives, like breast cancer had been, isn't being treated equally because of the systemic devaluation of an underprivileged group. While others may feel like the lives of other races are being ignored when people proclaim "black lives matter," that's simply not the intent. We can argue the semantics of it, such as, ideally, they'd say "black lives matter too," but that's irrelevant.

Anyway, to get back to your point, you're right that the Social Justice Warrior types who accept no compromise or deviation from the ever increasing list of social restrictions are problematic and react with vitriol to any violation of their standards. They must realize that America isn't their college campus; many don't consciously think that what they're saying or doing may be offensive and that shaming them for this unawareness will only drive them further away from the sensitivity Social Justice advocates rightfully seek.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »

Well, having the liberal media stop talking about how horrible and uneducated rural whites are might help. I mean, was there a political discussion this whole cycle that didn't include some democrat from the BosWash corridor talking about how "uneducated" whites were so racist and uneducated? They were very giddy about the idea that they were the party of smart people. it must have crushed them when Trump won college educated white voters.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies