Maine makes history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:10:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine makes history
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Maine makes history  (Read 3886 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 11:05:21 PM »

The benefit to Democrats from picking up otherwise spoiled votes from progressive third-parties will be offset by decreased turnout from people who do not understand a ballot with ordinal choice.

Are Australians smarter than Americans? Because they seem to understand it just fine. It's not that hard to understand, you like one person the best so you have them as a first choice, and you like another person a little less, but still like them, so they're second, and a third or fourth you hate and don't want to win, so you have them last.

Really not a difficult idea.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »

Probably a good call.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2016, 11:16:40 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The benefit to Democrats from picking up otherwise spoiled votes from progressive third-parties will be offset by decreased turnout from people who do not understand a ballot with ordinal choice.

Are Australians smarter than Americans? Because they seem to understand it just fine. It's not that hard to understand, you like one person the best so you have them as a first choice, and you like another person a little less, but still like them, so they're second, and a third or fourth you hate and don't want to win, so you have them last.

Really not a difficult idea.

Our politicians assume the voters are stupid. That's the reason Jerry Brown gave when he recently vetoed a bill to have IRV in California. Maybe he just doesn't like IRV because his pal Don Perata went from a 9 point lead in earlier rounds to a loss in the 2010 Oakland mayor election.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 04:26:43 AM »

If all Steiners put HRC as their 2nd then probably (I am only saying probably because who knows who Gary Johnson's supporters are)
mencken
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »

I am not saying it is difficult to understand. However, everything is about the margin, and the marginal voter might be confused that he is suddenly using numbers on his ballot where he previously used checkmarks. Maybe that drops turnout from 69% to 67%.

Is it so absurd to think that it is possible that 2% of the voting age population really is that stupid?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »

Why the heck would Jill Stein supporters would Hillary second? I have seen nothing to indicate that.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »

I am not saying it is difficult to understand. However, everything is about the margin, and the marginal voter might be confused that he is suddenly using numbers on his ballot where he previously used checkmarks. Maybe that drops turnout from 69% to 67%.

Is it so absurd to think that it is possible that 2% of the voting age population really is that stupid?

1. Yes, it is absurd. Voters are not incapable of simple reading comprehension. That some voters weigh or factor in different characteristics of a candidate or policies does not make them these people. Even the Bernie/Trump/LaPage/King voters.

2. Are you saying that you think 2% of voters will drive to their precinct, wait in line, get their ballot look at it and just throw up their hands and drive home? By that point they've already gone through all the effort that keeps people on the other side of the margin at home. More likely than any drop in voter turnout I'd expect a lot of voters who just ignore the new system and only preference one person; it makes more sense than giving up after taking the half an hour or so to vote in the first place.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »

It's helpful to remember that mencken gets his username from one of the most unabashedly elitist, misanthropic, anti-democratic public figures in American history.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »

It's stupid to think this will disproportionately harm Democratic candidates
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »

It's stupid to think this will disproportionately harm Democratic candidates

And to that this idea that Democrats would be disproportionately bewildered by ranking candidates is coming right after a sexual predator conned tens of millions of uneducated white Republicans into voting for him.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »

Speaking as someone who lives in a city that has already been using IRV for its city elections since 2013 with no drops in turnout or serious issues at all I can only reply "LOL".
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 01:43:15 AM »

The Maine SoS doesn't think this will happen by 2018 and the courts may toss it completely.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 01:46:42 AM »

On what grounds, some sclerotic definition of OMOV?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 01:57:31 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My understanding is that if parts of it are struck down, the entire thing will be.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »

LePage almost certainly would have won even without that third party candidate in 2014.

Michaud would only have needed 80% of Cutler's votes to get 50.0%. LePage would have lost in 2010 almost for sure.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »

Wonderful news.  This will definitely stop the nonsense about wasting your vote when you vote for a third party.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »

It should be safe if interpreted correctly. An absolute majority guarantees at least a plurality and even more. One person one vote means electoral districts need to be proportional to the population. It has nothing to do with the number of candidates that can be picked.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »

It is a great step forward. Proud of my home state.

Hopefully it will be ready by 2018 so LePage running against King will be a non-starter.
Kevinstat

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »

It should be safe if interpreted correctly. An absolute majority guarantees at least a plurality and even more. One person one vote means electoral districts need to be proportional to the population. It has nothing to do with the number of candidates that can be picked.

But if one person has a plurality (more than any other candidate) of votes after the first count, couldn't that person claim that under the Maine Constitution the election is over.  The language seems to be especially clear for Governor.

Below are some excerpts from the Maine Constitution, with boldface from the online Constitution (print versions too probably) but italics mine.

Quote from: Restricted

Kevinstat

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »

The Ranked Choice Voting (same method as IRV, just rebranded) citizen initiative was the only question on the ballot I voted against.  I voted Yes, like a good liberal Democrat, on all the others (legalizing marijuana, a tax hike on the wealthiest Mainers with the new funds going to education, closing a background check loophole, raising the minimum wage, and a bond issue).  All but the background check question passed, but there will be recounts on the pot and the tax hike/education referendum.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 04:23:27 AM »

I created a thread debating the what the best nonpartisan blanket primary method to replace Proposition 14 in California is. You can take the poll here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=253539.0
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies