NBC: Hate crimes spike following the Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:41:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  NBC: Hate crimes spike following the Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: NBC: Hate crimes spike following the Election  (Read 5706 times)
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »

Of course the violence on both sides is wrong, but it is Trump's divisive rhetoric which has led to it all. Remember when this happened in 2012? 2008? 2004? Yeah, no... when you try to divide the country up, this is what you get. Let this be a lesson.

Some people take their losses like adults. Others don't. News at 11, where a professional leftist protest is smashing things in Portland.

There are even postings for jobs on craigslist looking for the rabble!
OK, so point to this happening in 2004. While Bush was by no means a good President, he was never as divisive as Trump.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »

Trump supporters are merely taking their country back. Plenty of them think that Trump winning is an open door to going out to beat up or kill whoever they want. Problem with that logic is that the law still is in place and Trump isn't going to do anything to get his supporters out of trouble.
So why were people like you so violent against us? Where you trying to take your country back too? Or do you just like throwing eggs and threatening to rape blonde housewives because they happen to be Republican?

Did she deserve that? Is this ok? Is this allowed in a civilized, western democracy?

No, but she provoked them.
How? By walking into a rally?

Trump supporters are merely taking their country back. Plenty of them think that Trump winning is an open door to going out to beat up or kill whoever they want. Problem with that logic is that the law still is in place and Trump isn't going to do anything to get his supporters out of trouble.
So why were people like you so violent against us? Where you trying to take your country back too? Or do you just like throwing eggs and threatening to rape blonde housewives because they happen to be Republican?

Did she deserve that? Is this ok? Is this allowed in a civilized, western democracy?

And here comes the racist crap that white women are going to be raped. You are showing just who you are. Considering that there was much violence at Trump rallies and that a white, female reporter was repeated targeted for insults, I'd say that there is a real issue with Trump people. The anti-Semitic chants, the KKK throwing a rally to celebrate Trump winning. There are a lot of white supremacists who have some crazy ideas about what Trump winning entitles them to do.
Even when the people were threatening to rape her? A guy with a Mexican flag literally yells something out about raping her and that is just "racist crap" instead of an event that literally happened?

I know the old racist canard, but does that make every white rape victim attacked by anyone who isn't white a racist liar or something?

Did you watch the YouTube video of that event? To me it's pretty clear that she taunted them at first.
If turning to smirk at a mob of hysterical protesters is enough to justify assault, than just about every American president might have been assassinated. Remember when Obama took that screaming "Dreamer" brat to task in Nevada ahead of the 2012 election? That was one of his best moments period.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »

Even when the people were threatening to rape her? A guy with a Mexican flag literally yells something out about raping her and that is just "racist crap" instead of an event that literally happened?

I know the old racist canard, but does that make every white rape victim attacked by anyone who isn't white a racist liar or something?

Assuming that this whole story is true, it really doesn't explain away the reason why white supremacists think that Trump winning gives them a blank check to do whatever they want. There are people out there posting names on lynching lists and acting as if Trump getting elected has suddenly turned the country into The Purge.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

Assuming that this whole story is true, it really doesn't explain away the reason why white supremacists think that Trump winning gives them a blank check to do whatever they want. There are people out there posting names on lynching lists and acting as if Trump getting elected has suddenly turned the country into The Purge.
This, exactly. The violence on both sides is a direct result of Trump's rhetoric.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2016, 12:54:31 PM »

It doesn't, but it also doesn't explain why Clinton supporters and creeps like you think it is ok to bully, intimidate, harass, and terrify people either. This backlash you are seeing originates with the behavior of the many (mostly white, by the way) psychotic Clinton supporters.

Too bad President Trump Derangement Syndrome/PTDS (TM) can't be cured.

This, exactly. The violence on both sides is a direct result of Trump's rhetoric.
So, because he said something, than she should be assaulted in response?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »

Of course the violence on both sides is wrong, but it is Trump's divisive rhetoric which has led to it all. Remember when this happened in 2012? 2008? 2004? Yeah, no... when you try to divide the country up, this is what you get. Let this be a lesson.

Some people take their losses like adults. Others don't. News at 11, where a professional leftist protest is smashing things in Portland.

There are even postings for jobs on craigslist looking for the rabble!
OK, so point to this happening in 2004. While Bush was by no means a good President, he was never as divisive as Trump.

You mean like this? I guess smashing things in Portland is a common thing. There was just no twitter back then.

Link

Protesters at one point pushed down a barricade and a police officer who was standing behind it, Groepper said. The officer sprained or broke her wrist falling down, and two patrol cars were damaged,
Police ordered about 500 protesters to move. Riot police wearing helmets then walked into the area, pushing activists with their batons. Some activists fell. Police then fired aerosol canisters of pepper spray at the protesters.

‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »

It doesn't, but it also doesn't explain why Clinton supporters and creeps like you think it is ok to bully, intimidate, harass, and terrify people either. This backlash you are seeing originates with the behavior of the many (mostly white, by the way) psychotic Clinton supporters.

I don't condone any of the violence on either side. I am just pointing out that, had Trump acted differently, this would not be happening.
HannibalLecter
anti_trump
Rookie

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2016, 12:58:08 PM »

And here comes the racist crap that white women are going to be raped. You are showing just who you are. Considering that there was much violence at Trump rallies and that a white, female reporter was repeated targeted for insults, I'd say that there is a real issue with Trump people. The anti-Semitic chants, the KKK throwing a rally to celebrate Trump winning. There are a lot of white supremacists who have some crazy ideas about what Trump winning entitles them to do.

Did you watch the YouTube video of that event? To me it's pretty clear that she taunted them at first.
If turning to smirk at a mob of hysterical protesters is enough to justify assault, than just about every American president might have been assassinated. Remember when Obama took that screaming "Dreamer" brat to task in Nevada ahead of the 2012 election? That was one of his best moments period.

I already said it wasn't.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »

I don't condone any of the violence on either side. I am just pointing out that, had Trump acted differently, this would not be happening.
Would it? I've been seeing a lot of (mostly) millennial violence long before Trump showed up. Look how they acted at Penn State when they fired Paterno. Look at the way they behave at speaking events on campus where controversial speakers give addresses? Those all have been underway long before Trump got on the escalator.
HannibalLecter
anti_trump
Rookie

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »

No, media's narrative and elitism caused (fascist, racists, stupid rural people). While young Americans believe what's trending on their Twitter/FB bubble.

And you believe only the "manifest" of your idol Breivik.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »

Then what does her "taunting" (lol if that is "taunting" by the way) them have to do with anything? What is the implication you were trying to make?
HannibalLecter
anti_trump
Rookie

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »

Then what does her "taunting" (lol if that is "taunting" by the way) them have to do with anything? What is the implication you were trying to make?

That she didn't just simply "walk into a rally", as you said.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »

And that invites an egging and physical abuse how....?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turner_Diaries Cheesy

Seriously. Mods. Please.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »

The protests are more anti-Trump, than pro-Clinton and I'd wager there are quite a few people protesting that aren't exactly huge Clinton fans.

Too bad insane, genocidal white supremacy can't be cured. Fortunately, it will remain as obscure and isolated as it always has been.
HannibalLecter
anti_trump
Rookie

« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »

And that invites an egging and physical abuse how....?

Once again, it did not. She taunted them, they should just have taunted her back withiut getting physical or threatening to do so.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »

Would it? I've been seeing a lot of (mostly) millennial violence long before Trump showed up. Look how they acted at Penn State when they fired Paterno. Look at the way they behave at speaking events on campus where controversial speakers give addresses? Those all have been underway long before Trump got on the escalator.
Yes, our generation is one of the most liable to protest, even more than young people have been throughout history. But we are also the most diverse, the most liberal, and the most tolerant generation of our time, and when Trump speaks about immigrants, about Muslims, and about the "other" as a whole, as if they are a problem or a disgrace (deplorable?), it doesn't sit well with us. Look at Bush- after 9/11, he called for America to reject Islamophobia, and to reconcile with our Muslim neighbors and friends. Trump has responded to terrorist attacks in the opposite way- alienating Muslims, calling for discrimination against them, and by extension horrifying those who actually care about the state of our cultural discourse.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2016, 01:22:22 PM »

Yes, our generation is one of the most liable to protest, even more than young people have been throughout history. But we are also the most diverse, the most liberal, and the most tolerant generation of our time, and when Trump speaks about immigrants, about Muslims, and about the "other" as a whole, as if they are a problem or a disgrace (deplorable?), it doesn't sit well with us. Look at Bush- after 9/11, he called for America to reject Islamophobia, and to reconcile with our Muslim neighbors and friends. Trump has responded to terrorist attacks in the opposite way- alienating Muslims, calling for discrimination against them, and by extension horrifying those who actually care about the state of our cultural discourse.
Ok, so even if all of the claims you make about what Trump said were true, how does that justify your response? I know it doesn't make you feel good. But I don't go around punching people or throwing things at them.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »

Ok, so even if all of the claims you make about what Trump said were true, how does that justify your response? I know it doesn't make you feel good. But I don't go around punching people or throwing things at them.
I never said anything about "justification". That is a strawman. As I said, I don't condone violence on either side, and while I support the right to peacefully protest, I do think that the actions on both sides have transcended this right. But at the same time, if you taunt someone with a gun, and you get shot, you are at least partially responsible. It doesn't make the shooting at all OK, but you should have had better judgement in the first place. There's a reason that there's such a thing as "fighting words".
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2016, 01:46:01 PM »

I never said anything about "justification". That is a strawman. As I said, I don't condone violence on either side, and while I support the right to peacefully protest, I do think that the actions on both sides have transcended this right. But at the same time, if you taunt someone with a gun, and you get shot, you are at least partially responsible. It doesn't make the shooting at all OK, but you should have had better judgement in the first place. There's a reason that there's such a thing as "fighting words".
The taunting that would lead to that hypothetical shooting doesn't matter. Once someone pulls the trigger, that and that alone matters until it is resolved. If the shooting isn't ok, it isn't ok, and the status of the alleged taunting (again, how is that taunting on her part exactly?) shouldn't be referenced period. You keep bringing it up, so I should be rather suspicious about your sincerity here.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »

Not surprising but sad to hear. You knew Trump's victory would be a victory for bigotry and hatred and you voted for him anyway. While it's not a good thing to say politically, Hillary was absolutely right that a large number of Trump supporters belong in the basket of deplorables.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »

The Phoney hate crimes are not helpful to anyone.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2016, 01:52:29 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2016, 01:57:36 PM by ‼realJohnEwards‼ »

The taunting that would lead to that hypothetical shooting doesn't matter. Once someone pulls the trigger, that and that alone matters until it is resolved. If the shooting isn't ok, it isn't ok, and the status of the alleged taunting (again, how is that taunting on her part exactly?) shouldn't be referenced period. You keep bringing it up, so I should be rather suspicious about your sincerity here.
The shooting, and its wrongness, not in dispute. Rather, I am pointing out that this is a valuable lesson, and that the kind of rhetoric which Trump has engaged in should be avoided in the future. I don't like that my generation responds in this way (or, OTOH, that right-wingers have responded how they have), but we do need to learn from what happened. Just like we learned from the American Revolution, or from the Great Depression, or from WWII, we need to learn, as a nation, that this kind of rhetoric does not lead to a healthy county. Again, the fact that we learned from Hitler's rise to power doesn't make said rise OK; and the fact that we need to learn from these protests does not make them OK.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »

Not surprising but sad to hear. You knew Trump's victory would be a victory for bigotry and hatred and you voted for him anyway. While it's not a good thing to say politically, Hillary was absolutely right that a large number of Trump supporters belong in the basket of deplorables.

This is the wrong threat for it but most people would say we should have Free Speech for Communists and members of the Ku Klux Klan. Should we go the next step further and actually try to have an honest-ish debate about it?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »

No? It isn't a victory for bigotry and hatred because opposing illegal immigration isn't bigoted or hateful?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies