Please stop overreacting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:52:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Please stop overreacting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Please stop overreacting  (Read 1409 times)
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »

The Democrats lost a presidential election, where they got more votes than the Republican candidate, and a shift of a mere 100.000 votes in some swing states would have been a win and now people in this forum act as if they were completely doomed for all times, if they don't either copy Trump in style, move more to the right, move more to the left, pander to the percieved anger of midwestern middle-class whites or whatever.

This is as much hyperbole as the "Republicans are doomed for all times" after 2008 and 2012 and reminds me of German overreaction to AfD results, though a vast majority of people don't vote for them.
AltRightRepublican
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:26:01 PM »

I agree. Democrats would have won the election had they nominated Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden. All they had to do was nominate someone who actually had actual appeal to midwestern working class white voters.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »

I agree. Democrats would have won the election had they nominated Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden. All they had to do was nominate someone who actually had actual appeal to midwestern working class white voters.

In other words, a man. You're sadly right.

That being said, the states that put him over were so, so close. She maybe could have pulled it out without Comey, but obviously the closeness would have been a real shocker/reality check. It's too bad we had to jump off the cliff to get that reality check, though, because I think she could have recalibrated after a decently successful first term.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:34:09 PM »

We need Congress back.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »

I'm just worried he will cause WW3
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »

In other words, a man. You're sadly right.

That being said, the states that put him over were so, so close. She maybe could have pulled it out without Comey, but obviously the closeness would have been a real shocker/reality check. It's too bad we had to jump off the cliff to get that reality check, though, because I think she could have recalibrated after a decently successful first term.
Stop ignoring the fact she was the epitome of the establishment running during a global populist resurgence. Liz Warren would've beaten Trump. I agree the Democratic Party needs more young women in office, or just younger people in general. Enough with the Schumers, Hoyers, and Pelosis.

It's hard not to overreact OP when we have an unknown commodity in Trump running the most powerful military in the world. What's scarier is who he surrounds himself with. Hopefully Trump is a Machiavellian genius, and knows what the hell he's doing because the Democrats are screwed if the old leadership ignore their elitist, coastal image (she won the popular vote, but we're getting crushed in state elections. Enough with the anti-"flyover" crap Dems)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »

I don't think these are overreactions AT ALL.

I was planning on writing an essay about how the democratic party is broken and aimless and incapable of winning state government races, the house, and the senate IF WE WON...

...let alone after the result we got, where Democrats are shut out of all three branches for the first time since the 1930s, not to mention completely decimated at the state level outside of a few extremely blue states.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:01 PM »

I was planning on writing an essay about how the democratic party is broken and aimless and incapable of winning state government races, the house, and the senate IF WE WON...

...let alone after the result we got, where Democrats are shut out of all three branches for the first time since the 1930s, not to mention completely decimated at the state level outside of a few extremely blue states.

I don't understand this, and I've been hearing it a lot.  Weren't Democrats similarly shutout in 2003-07?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »

I don't understand this, and I've been hearing it a lot.  Weren't Democrats similarly shutout in 2003-07?

Also 1953-1954, but just barely there.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 10:25:02 PM »

They were, though the Hastert/Delay majority was much smaller
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 10:35:45 PM »

If the DNC conducts a hard-reset and embraces, rather than shuns, the progressive wing, the Democrats will make gains in 2018. That is the silver lining. That and, should incumbents quit bowing their heads, the Senate filibuster.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:37 PM »

Let see.

We lost the White House.

We lost the Senate.

We lost the House.

We lost the majority of Governorships.

We lost the majority of statehouses.

I could go on.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »

Let see.

We lost the White House.

We lost the Senate.

We lost the House.

We lost the majority of Governorships.

We lost the majority of statehouses.

I could go on.

We're about to lose supreme court for like, 20+ years, which is arguably the most important thing.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 11:41:24 PM »

We're about to lose supreme court for like, 20+ years, which is arguably the most important thing.

We lost our last grip of power and we won't be able to win back the White House nor the Senate until 2020 at least.

We are in the woods until then.
AltRightRepublican
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 04:48:10 AM »

We lost our last grip of power and we won't be able to win back the White House nor the Senate until 2020 at least.

Don't worry in the meantime you can take to twitter and really give it to the political establishment by tweeting #notmypresident for the next four years.
Panda Express

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 04:55:35 AM »

Guys, we'll obviously rebound when Trump screws up (and he will screw up). It only took the GOP two years after becoming "nearly extinct" in 2008 to take back the House. Two things we need to do are

1. Obstruct.
2. Let Bernie Sanders and his movement have the reins. I say this as someone who supported Hillary in the primary.
AltRightRepublican
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 05:00:03 AM »

Guys, we'll obviously rebound when Trump screws up (and he will screw up). It only took the GOP two years after becoming "nearly extinct" in 2008 to take back the House. Two things we need to do are

1. Obstruct.
2. Let Bernie Sanders and his movement have the reins. I say this as someone who supported Hillary in the primary.

1. Democrats value compromise because it makes them look "morally superior" and they use this against Republicans so this is unlikely to happen.
2. The Corporatist and globalist wing of the Democratic Party isn't gonna allow this to happen.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »

Like pubs in 2010. As funny as the dem freakout is yall can pretty much only go up from here. Except in hawaii.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »

Is 2018 hopeless for Democrats to win the Senate? That depends partly on what the GOP and Trump do in the next two years and whether the Democrats can build the Democratic party.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 11:25:24 AM »

This is the main deal - Dems need to let go off people who are obsessed about cult personality & presidential races.

What happened in the Senate?
House of Rep?
State Senate?
Senate Rep?
Gov?

Downballots Dems have been destroyed & are on the verge of collapse. Real change happens top down. The party was being eaten away the last 5-6 years & now unless serious reforms take place, the Dems are in serious trouble!
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »

at that time winning back the house was easier and there have been in a better situation re: the senate and ofc: they weren't nearly extinct in statehouses between the coasts.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »

1. Obstruct.

1. Democrats value compromise because it makes them look "morally superior" and they use this against Republicans so this is unlikely to happen.
2. The Corporatist and globalist wing of the Democratic Party isn't gonna allow this to happen.

lol any commitment to (((globalism))) of Democrats would be outweighed by their natural wish as politicians to regain power. Look how quickly the GOP has folded irt "globalism".
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »

Is 2018 hopeless for Democrats to win the Senate? That depends partly on what the GOP and Trump do in the next two years and whether the Democrats can build the Democratic party.

If we hold every seat we hold now and win NV and AZ, we are still at 50.

We would have to win WY, NE, UT, TX, MS, or TN to get a majority assuming that no Republican resign or die in the middle of the term.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 03:08:41 PM »

2018 is bad year for Dems on the senate level, even if they are more popular then and able to invade trump country.

this year was the year to outbalance 2018....and dems failed.

2018 is going to be a senate bloodbath, cause republicans usually find better candidates - prevail even if running with unpopular top-ticket names.

maybe the dems can begin restart their state projects and get some governorships and state houses back,

regarding SC and senate i see only doom for at least 8 years and we should pray that kenny, ginsburg and breyer won't either die or feel too sick. Wink
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2016, 03:52:09 PM by Virginia »

Not necessarily, but definitely possible and something I'm worried about. If Breyer and Ginsburg hold out and we win in 2020, we can seal the deal on that. Even if Kennedy retires/passes in the meantime and gets replaced, Clarence Thomas will be 78 in 10 years. Alito will be 76. The median age for a justice at retirement or death is currently 78-ish. Personally I think Ginsburg's refusal to retire years ago screwed liberals, but it is what it is. However, I should say that John Paul Stevens retired at what, 90? And Breyer is only 78 and it's not implausible he could go another 4 years.

Anyway, point is, there are still options but it will be a while. Maybe 15 years for Alito and Thomas to go, give or take.

--------

As for 2018, well, I'm just going to keep saying this: Deeply unpopular incumbent presidents hurt their party in midterms. Trump's current favorables are averaged at 37%, which was what Bush was at more or less in 2006. I would stop and consider that before predicting some Senate wipeout for Democrats.

In all likelihood, if Trump is as unpopular in 2018 as he is now, Republicans are going to be bled out at the House & state level. Republicans might even pick up a Senate seat or two thanks to their map, but elsewhere is a different story altogether. Republicans aren't immune to midterm backlashes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies