What happens to marijuana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:39:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What happens to marijuana?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What happens to marijuana?  (Read 2169 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »

Any attempt to get it banned nationally ends up in the Supreme Court and the Court rules in favour of states' rights on the matter.

It's a Schedule I Controlled Substance and has been for over 40 years. The Obama Administration has simply been choosing not to enforce the law in states that have legalized. The question is whether the Trump Justice Department (likely headed by Rudy Giuliani) does the same.

I'm not sure how they would do it. It would be a nightmare and a dumpster fire and basically makes every swingy state west of 100W solid D. Anything better than that would be the greatest political genius of the century. Poly Sci and History tests will claim that Trump was a Great Lincoln against the Green Scurge.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »

Any attempt to get it banned nationally ends up in the Supreme Court and the Court rules in favour of states' rights on the matter.

It's a Schedule I Controlled Substance and has been for over 40 years. The Obama Administration has simply been choosing not to enforce the law in states that have legalized. The question is whether the Trump Justice Department (likely headed by Rudy Giuliani) does the same.

I know that you certainly can't use credit cards to buy it because of those laws.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 02:28:34 AM »

Jeffers is not a fan.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 04:52:05 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 03:57:04 PM by ProgressiveCanadian »

To put it lightly.
Panda Express

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »

I actually hope Sessions goes after marijuana. Would be kicking a hornet's nest and would benefit our side.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »

I actually hope Sessions goes after marijuana. Would be kicking a hornet's nest and would benefit our side.
I hope if they are not emboldened by us f ucking this situation up, they get swcond thoughts about Roe/personhood.
This will probably be Schiavo times a million and Schiavo was the thing that was Bush's healthcare.gov. That is, the tjing that allowed for the reconsolidation of the opposition and the start of his transition into a lame duck.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 01:26:06 AM »

The quickest way to make Alaska a swing state is to send DoJ thugs in to overturn their popular referendum.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »

The quickest way to make Alaska a swing state is to send DoJ thugs in to overturn their popular referendum.

Or to bury the GOP in Maine, Nevada, and Colorado.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »

Doesn't matter what the Trump administration says, people are going to smoke it. The only thing they can do is waste money and violate the constitution.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »

States one by one legalize it
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »

Certain states, yes. And honestly, if the good people of Alabama don't want to smoke weed legally... who's to say they shouldn't?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »

Trump hates drugs and alcohol, so I'm going to disagree with him on this subject, as I believe marijuana should be completely legal in all 50 states
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »

Trump hates drugs and alcohol, so I'm going to disagree with him on this subject, as I believe marijuana should be completely legal in all 50 states

Yeah. Its a frickin plant. We had to have a constitutional amendment to ban the sale of liquor but because scalia joined with the lib justices in one bad opinion apparently the feds can ban the mere existence of a ditch weed? Meanwhile if you want grow hemlock, castor beans, and death cap mushrooms (all of which are infinitely deadlier and more useless than cannabis) knock yourself out. Because big government knows best.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »

I'm for legalization of drugs myself because the war of drugs has proven to be a joke and the government could make a bundle off of the taxes off of the drugs. Legalization of drugs would also hurt the drug cartels in Mexico and gangs in the US.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »

I'm for legalization of drugs myself because the war of drugs has proven to be a joke and the government could make a bundle off of the taxes off of the drugs. Legalization of drugs would also hurt the drug cartels in Mexico and gangs in the US.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »

Well, some drugs. I think legalizing heroin and cocaine would be a terrible idea based on how utterly dangerous they are. Weed is mostly harmless.

What could defang the cartels though is making the penalties less draconian and making the black market less enticing
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 12:46:12 AM »

Well, some drugs. I think legalizing heroin and cocaine would be a terrible idea based on how utterly dangerous they are. Weed is mostly harmless.

What could defang the cartels though is making the penalties less draconian and making the black market less enticing

We should really go after dealers on drugs that will never be OK or we will not be ready to integrate into our society in our lifetime or the last descendant born in our lifetime's lifetime. Abuse of serious drugs should be treated as a disability and not a crime. Prisons aren't hospitals.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2016, 05:56:12 AM »

Don Jr. is for marijuana legalization though!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies