Trump's German harvest (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:29:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump's German harvest (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump's German harvest  (Read 1629 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« on: November 11, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »

BuzzFeed actually polled by ancestry, and German-Americans were super Trump supporters: https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/trump-and-the-white-vote?utm_term=.hqBya6yjy#.so5ZyVZoZ

They have:

German: 33% Clinton, 51% Trump (Trump +18)
American: 33% Clinton, 50% Trump (Trump +17)
Italian: 33% Clinton, 44% Trump (Trump +11)
English: 37% Clinton, 43% Trump (Trump +6)
Irish: 39% Clinton, 40% Trump (Trump +1)

I also went through their raw data earlier and got this for the less-polled ancestries:
Swedish: Clinton 33%, Trump 48% (Trump +15) n=39
Polish: Clinton 35%, Trump 44% (Trump +9) n=125
Dutch: Clinton 34%, Trump 41% (Trump +7) n=41
French: Clinton 35%, Trump 35% (even) n=71
Norwegian: Clinton 37%, Trump 37% (even) n=49
Scottish: Clinton 41%, Trump 38% (Clinton +3) n=107

They also allowed volunteered responses, here are some of the more notable ones:

Danish: Clinton 45%, Trump 27% (Clinton +18) n=11
Greek: Clinton 47%, Trump 12% (Clinton +35) n=17
Russian: Clinton 67%, Trump 29% (Clinton +38) n=21

Great find, thx.

I think there was no subsample for Austrian ancestry (there are only 1 million Americans with Austrian ancestry).

But I guess they would not vote that different than the Germans.

PS: Most Austrians who migrated to the US settled in Wisconsin btw. It is the state with the highest Austrian ancestry.
I live near a highway 'adopted' by the Austrian-American society -- or some org named like that. 

I like the thread, but I did lay this and more out like 6 years ago.  I'll look for the threads when I have time...  It's even in my name "American Nation"  based on the book American NationS by colin woodard.  You take into account ancestry as well as the history of settlement and a few other factors and you can see "fault lines" others are oblivious too. 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »

The huge Russian spread for Clinton probably due to the big amount of Jews in that group.  Would like to see difference between German ancestry by Protestant vs Catholic.
Just my guess is that Catholic is closer to 50/50 and Protestant 65/30 ish.  That has a lot to do where they live urban / rural, blue collar / union household etc etc.

Germans from Russia used to be mistakenly counted as "Russian" because that was the country they 'came' from last.  It made some weird ethnicity maps with data from early 1900's.  

AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »

The new Trump 'homeland'
 and the new battle grounds?

AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »

Pulled from the article I think this is right on:

One other thing: Both Trump and Obama made white working-class voters feel a little better about racial anxiety.
They obviously did it in very different ways.
But I’d say that Obama made a lot of voters feel good, even proud, about supporting an African-American.
Trump made them feel O.K. about their “politically incorrect” reservations about diversity, crime and immigration.
Clinton did something very bold that I don’t think she got very much credit for: She challenged many white Americans to question implicit bias, and revived criminal justice as an issue. That may have been a bridge too far.

---- The  non PC  way of saying that is:
Political correctness is killing the country and people are sick of it... even some democrats.
Clinton shouldn't have called everyone---including Obama voters racist--- that is a bridge to far. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies