What was the motive of voters and politicians who supported segregation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:15:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What was the motive of voters and politicians who supported segregation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the motive of voters and politicians who supported segregation?  (Read 922 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »

Without slavery, what was the point of segregating blacks for the next 100 years? Why were people so afraid of having to interact with blacks?
SamTilden2020

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »

I think the racism just never left the south TBH. Since slavery was gone, they still wanted to keep them away from full rights. As for why their fear/racism, IDK. I guess they hadn't really learned to respect them, slavery or not.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 08:24:56 PM »

I think the racism just never left the south TBH. Since slavery was gone, they still wanted to keep them away from full rights. As for why their fear/racism, IDK. I guess they hadn't really learned to respect them, slavery or not.
Racism is alive and well in the North, thank you very much. The vast majority of Northerners didn't really want voting rights for blacks from the 1880s-1950s.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 10:44:56 PM »

What?! You can't be serious.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2017, 11:51:41 PM by smoltchanov »

Power. The guaranteed way to hold power without neccessity to share it with large Black population of Southern states was segregation and denial of voting (and other) rights to Blacks. And, in addition, that was a very good way "to attach" poor whites to the rich one (despite absolutely different economic interests), and to prevent a possibility of creation of "dreadful" populist coalition of Blacks and poor whites. 2 goals achieved simultaneously.....
Gracchus
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »

Racism is alive and well in the North, thank you very much. The vast majority of Northerners didn't really want voting rights for blacks from the 1880s-1950s.

Agreed, a sense of superiority over blacks existed in both the North and the South at least up until the early 1920's, when the anti-lynching became an issue.  But in the South, it was likely just a general resentment towards Reconstruction and the North passed down over generations that led to blacks being the target.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »

They were brainwashed by the ruling class into thinking that black men wanted to rape their daughters.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »

Agreed, a sense of superiority over blacks existed in both the North and the South at least up until the early 1920's, when the anti-lynching became an issue.  But in the South, it was likely just a general resentment towards Reconstruction and the North passed down over generations that led to blacks being the target.
You know, just because person X would vote against, say, an American Holocaust, doesn't mean they are not anti-Semitic.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »

I mean in the north, there was an attitude of black people can be equal, they can be president, but they better not live next to us, or date our sons and daughters. To be fare this was not done only against black people but every ethnic group didn't want to live next to teach other etc.... There was a lot of insular self-segregation in the north.

This was true from the upper class to the working class.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »

What I meant was that between the stronger and more discrimination-centered racism in the south, and the resentment toward the north from Reconstruction, 13-15th amendments, etc (as pointed out by RWC), had given southerners a sense of that Segregation is what they needed to do, both to keep out blacks, and to send a message of rebellion to those darn northerners.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »

What I meant was that between the stronger and more discrimination-centered racism in the south, and the resentment toward the north from Reconstruction, 13-15th amendments, etc (as pointed out by RWC), had given southerners a sense of that Segregation is what they needed to do, both to keep out blacks, and to send a message of rebellion to those darn northerners.

Sure. But now, we can’t claim the South is where police brutality against blacks is most prevalent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies