The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:33:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 108493 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: February 02, 2017, 05:58:57 AM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/317248-dnc-boots-candidate-from-chairmans-race-for-criticizing-ellisons-islamic

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #451 on: February 02, 2017, 07:18:11 AM »

Huh, funny how he never considered to look into what Ellison's personal beliefs on the matter were. Seems like he decided to just assume Ellison would be anti-LGBT by virtue of being Muslim.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2017, 07:42:47 AM »

I'm hoping that Ellison wins, not because I feel particularly strongly about him, but because I fear a progressive revolt if they feel like the establishment pulls the rug out from under them again. So long as Ellison is competent for the job, I couldn't care less, I just hope the party leaders don't try and pick fights where they don't need to.

Pretty much my feelings. I like Perez, but he'd do nothing to ease tensions between the factions of the Democratic Party. Unless it's Ellison or Buttigieg, people are going to claim the DNC hasn't learned anything.

Buttigieg isn't really that good, but at least he's not an epic HP like Perez.

Lol
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »

Grossman endorses Buttigieg.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »

Butt-mentum!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #455 on: February 03, 2017, 07:22:58 AM »

TYT Politics is the best thing happening if you ignore the monologue videos. Amazing reporting - Jordan based on Standing Rock & then covering the Texas Pipeline & effect on conservatives, Flint & even Indiana Lead poisoning.

And ofcourse Nomiki Konst covered both DNC Chair & Vice-Chair races with interview of Elizabeth Jaff (running for DNC Vice-Chair) & of DNC Chair candidates (Jeemu - Texas black woman & Ray Buckley NH Chair).

Liked Buckley & his criticism of huge ad spend & proposal to introduce conflict clause. He is DNC Vice Chair & says he has no idea how DNC spends its funds. I don't think he has done a particular amazing job as NH Chair but I thought he was pretty decent. 3rd favorite after Ellison & Buttigieg!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #456 on: February 03, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »

TYT Politics is the best thing happening if you ignore the monologue videos. Amazing reporting - Jordan based on Standing Rock & then covering the Texas Pipeline & effect on conservatives, Flint & even Indiana Lead poisoning.

And ofcourse Nomiki Konst covered both DNC Chair & Vice-Chair races with interview of Elizabeth Jaff (running for DNC Vice-Chair) & of DNC Chair candidates (Jeemu - Texas black woman & Ray Buckley NH Chair).

Liked Buckley & his criticism of huge ad spend & proposal to introduce conflict clause. He is DNC Vice Chair & says he has no idea how DNC spends its funds. I don't think he has done a particular amazing job as NH Chair but I thought he was pretty decent. 3rd favorite after Ellison & Buttigieg!

I thought Buckley has had some sort of scandal that nearly ended his career, could be thinking of someone else though.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #457 on: February 03, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #458 on: February 03, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »

I'm hoping that Ellison wins, not because I feel particularly strongly about him, but because I fear a progressive revolt if they feel like the establishment pulls the rug out from under them again. So long as Ellison is competent for the job, I couldn't care less, I just hope the party leaders don't try and pick fights where they don't need to.

Pretty much my feelings. I like Perez, but he'd do nothing to ease tensions between the factions of the Democratic Party. Unless it's Ellison or Buttigieg, people are going to claim the DNC hasn't learned anything.

Lol

If Perez doesn't win this (and I don't think he will), I hope he runs for Governor in 2018.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #459 on: February 03, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »

Lol

If Perez doesn't win this (and I don't think he will), I hope he runs for Governor in 2018.

Ditto, I think he's the best chance to beat Hogan.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #460 on: February 03, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »

Lol

He is probably the most high profile recruit the democrats could wish for. although I would guess he would prefer Cardin's seat if he retires
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #461 on: February 03, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »

Lol

He is probably the most high profile recruit the democrats could wish for. although I would guess he would prefer Cardin's seat if he retires

If Cardin retires, do you think Donna Edwards would run? Though I really like Van Hollen, Edwards always struck me as a fairly talented politician. I see her more as a Senator than gov
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #462 on: February 03, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2017, 05:27:16 PM by Shadows »

Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) on Friday announced he’s backing Rep. Keith Ellison’s (D-Minn.) bid to be the next Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairman.

“Keith's long history as an organizer who can energize the grassroots makes him the best choice to lead our party during this critical time,” Lewis said in a statement.

Former Vice President Walter Mondale is endorsing Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison to become the next Democratic National Committee chair.

"Keith was a Minnesota star in the state legislature and now in the US House. Keith believes that we need to help all Americans succeed, and this message of inclusiveness is one that has resonated with people in the 5th Congressional District in Minnesota, who have re-elected Keith five times and who have turned out to vote in increasing numbers ever since Keith took office," Mondale said in a statement. "Keith is exactly the type of person our party needs right now, and I know he'd use his talents to elect Democrats across our country if he's the next DNC Chair."
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #463 on: February 03, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2017, 03:58:17 PM by Shadows »

“It is very concerning that Bernie Sanders is so intent on taking over a party that he’s not even a member of that he’d insult the beloved vice president — and really the president — about a failed status quo approach,” said Texas Democratic chairman Gilberto Hinojosa, a Perez supporter and one of 447 DNC members who will vote in late February to elect the next chairman.

“This is coming from a man who is not even a member of our party,” Hinojosa continued. “We lost an election and all of a sudden we’re all a part of a failed status quo? When he puts Joe Biden and Tom Perez in this category and paints with a broad brush he insults all of us. This is an election between loyal, qualified Democrats who love our party and the country. There’s no need for him to lower himself to that level.”

And Jeri Shepherd, a voting DNC member from Colorado who backs Ellison, noted that Sanders said in his statement that he considers Biden a friend has “a lot of respect” for Tom Perez.She argued that those who took offense to Sanders’s remark are themselves looking for any reason to reignite the Sanders-Clinton debate.

“Bernie is not one to make personal attacks. That’s not his style,” Shepherd said. “The irony is that many of us aren’t interested in rehashing the primary, but there are some who are and who still see Bernie supporters as interlopers into the party. They’ll feel how they want to feel, but I don’t think it’s productive to read too much into what he said.”

Jamal Simmons, a Democratic strategist whose firm handled communications for one of the DNC chairman forums, noted that Sanders can join the Democratic Party but has repeatedly declined.

“He doesn’t get to set the standard for a party he’s not a member of,” Simmons said. “It’s up to those 447 longtime members of the party. If he’d like to have a vote, he should join the Democratic Party. We’d love to have him. The truth is we can’t win without the Bernie wing, but we also can’t have someone who is just a voice for Bernie Sanders. The lines are not that clear. There is overlap.”

“Bernie was right,” said Jonathan Tasini, a prominent progressive organizer who is backing Ellison. “The party is in a shambles. For the people who were at the helm to pretend like that isn’t the case is just whistling past the graveyard. This is a fight for the soul of the party and two very different views about what the party should do and stand for. It’s not a bad thing to have that debate.”
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #464 on: February 03, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »

"Joe Biden is a friend of mine and I have a lot of respect for Tom Perez. In terms of the next chair of the DNC, however, the question is simple: Do we stay with a failed status-quo approach or do we go forward with a fundamental restructuring of the Democratic Party? I say we go forward and create a grassroots party which speaks for working people and is prepared to stand up to the top 1 percent. That's why we have to support Keith Ellison," Sanders said in a statement.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #465 on: February 03, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »

I know. Hence the arrow.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #466 on: February 03, 2017, 05:23:33 PM »

Betsy DeVos has donated $55,800 to the campaign of United States Senator Pat Toomey.

Incidentally, despite all evidence to the contrary, Senator Toomey thinks that Betsy DeVos would be a great choice to lead the Department of Education.

Betsy DeVos has never set foot in a classroom, did not send her children to public school, cannot distinguish between proficiency and growth, and thinks that guns should be allowed in schools in the event of grizzly attacks. That fictitious grizzly is about as qualified as Ms. DeVos to run the Department of Education.

If Betsy DeVos can buy Senator Toomey's vote, we should be allowed to do the same.

If, of course, Senator Toomey does not wish to accept any funds raised*, all money will be donated to Camp Sojourner, the Pennsylvania Arts Education Network, and the Children's Literacy Initiative.

*or if this tongue-in-cheek fundraising page somehow constitutes a bribe, despite being eerily identical to the actions of Ms. DeVos.

Gofundme - Buy Pat Toomey's vote
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #467 on: February 03, 2017, 06:10:47 PM »

Teamsters endorse Ellison

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #468 on: February 03, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »

Just watched the interview of Jamie Harrison, SC Chair & Coal Lobbyist on TYT politics. How horrible guy, no wonder the DNC is in shambles. He blamed Sanders-Klobuchar for the Imports bill tacitly saying it should be watered down to appeal to these people. Same old BS about his work with Clyburn & ultra watered down stuff to appeal to conservatives & blah blah.

Horrible!
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #469 on: February 03, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »

Is there any tally on the dnc member preferences? Since they are the only ones whose opinions matter
SCNCmod

« Reply #470 on: February 03, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »

Same here.

Also- Buttigieg would not offend Bernie or Hillary wings. (And would do the best job)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #471 on: February 03, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »

When is the vote for DNC chair being held, anyway?
SCNCmod

« Reply #472 on: February 04, 2017, 01:47:11 AM »

When is the vote for DNC chair being held, anyway?

I think I read "later this month" (but not sure of the specific date)
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »

New TYT Politics video on Nomiki, seems as though Tom Perez is as slimey and corrupt as I thought.

https://youtu.be/ry7dzLb_r6Q
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #474 on: February 05, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »

Who care. The DNC chair isn't the leader of the party and their power is greatly exaggerated by the Bernie people.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies