The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:01:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 107764 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: February 14, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sounds like both may be inclined to support Ellison.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #701 on: February 14, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »

Look, I have nothing against Perez but its just annoying as f to see forces in our party just aligned behind one person just because a small group of people said so. We need new influences in the party and just relying on the same old playbook is gonna cost us, its already costing big time.  

Will they for sure though? I see wide acknowledgement that the party needs to focus more on building up support in rural areas along with more of a focus on organizing and connecting with voters, so I think it's disingenuous to say there will be no change in strategy.

From what I can tell the assumption is that because certain actors from the wing of the party we want to move past are backing Perez, then the thinking is by default that he will make sure nothing changes, which I think is bogus, but ok. Perez isn't some neoliberal hack - at least give him a chance if he wins.

Perez supports TPP, so of course he's a neoliberal hack.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #702 on: February 14, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »

Yeah, sounds like they're cannibalizing Ellison. This freak out might be for nothing.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #703 on: February 14, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »

Not that I don't support Ellison anyway, but I really do hope he wins because if he doesn't, people like you are never going to let it go. We could get a huge wave in 2018, take back the House and a dozen Governors offices, and you'd still be here saying "would have been bigger with Ellison."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #704 on: February 14, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »

If Perez is nominated for DNC chair, it's pretty obvious that any real change in the Democratic Party is going to have to come up from the bottom-up, not starting at the national level.

This is honestly sad, though. Instead of realizing where the real energy is and trying to capture that, the DNC would rather sink their heels in further and clutch on to the same ideas that have failed them the last 20 years.

Quoting for future reference. If Ellison is the chair, Ds will suffer. Call me stupid if you want, but I really don't see how putting a anti-Semitic 9-11 truther as party leader is going to do any good. And that's what Ellison is, whether you want to believe it or not.

Oh I will.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #705 on: February 14, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »

Are you f**king kidding me?! Literally all the tops of the party from Chuck, Bernie, Nancy want Keith

I don't trust Pelosi or Schumer, and Obama, Biden, and the Clintons want Perez.

x-posting: Turning a contest between two fairly mainstream liberal progressives into some kind of proxy war still seems like one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Its moronic, Perez and Ellison are almost identical on paper.
Just like Bernie and Hillary supposedly were? Yeah, we're sick of being told how progressive terrible 3rd wayers are.
When your candiate wins a majority of the vote in the primaries, it wont be an issue, will it?

Oh, piss off. It's like you're still living in June of 2016 when it was inevitable that Hillary would win against Dangerous Donald.

My point was, Democrats are still a big tent party. While we are slowly moving to the left, the center should not be ignored. And splitting up the party when the moderate faction wins is childish.

You proved to be one of the most wrong posters on this forum last year. I don't see how your condescension helps anyone except the Republicans.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #706 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:38 PM »

Not that I don't support Ellison anyway, but I really do hope he wins because if he doesn't, people like you are never going to let it go. We could get a huge wave in 2018, take back the House and a dozen Governors offices, and you'd still be here saying "would have been bigger with Ellison."

And he'd probably be right. All the more reason for Democrats to pick Ellison.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #707 on: February 14, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »

If nothing else, let's consider the fact that Perez has absolutely no electoral experience and is only where he is now because Biden and the anti-Sanders wing of the party got him there.  Ellison has offered to give up his seat in Congress for this job and Perez has sacrificed nothing.  This shouldn't be a close contest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #708 on: February 14, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »

This party is beyond redemption. We deserve 1000 years of T***p.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #709 on: February 14, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »

Are you f**king kidding me?! Literally all the tops of the party from Chuck, Bernie, Nancy want Keith

I don't trust Pelosi or Schumer, and Obama, Biden, and the Clintons want Perez.

x-posting: Turning a contest between two fairly mainstream liberal progressives into some kind of proxy war still seems like one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Its moronic, Perez and Ellison are almost identical on paper.
Just like Bernie and Hillary supposedly were? Yeah, we're sick of being told how progressive terrible 3rd wayers are.
When your candiate wins a majority of the vote in the primaries, it wont be an issue, will it?

Oh, piss off. It's like you're still living in June of 2016 when it was inevitable that Hillary would win against Dangerous Donald.

My point was, Democrats are still a big tent party. While we are slowly moving to the left, the center should not be ignored. And splitting up the party when the moderate faction wins is childish.

You proved to be one of the most wrong posters on this forum last year. I don't see how your condescension helps anyone except the Republicans.

My wrongness was about average. Your attitude was quite poor  though.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #710 on: February 14, 2017, 08:18:56 PM »

If nothing else, let's consider the fact that Perez has absolutely no electoral experience and is only where he is now because Biden and the anti-Sanders wing of the party got him there.  Ellison has offered to give up his seat in Congress for this job and Perez has sacrificed nothing.  This shouldn't be a close contest.

Exactly. Ellison actually has experience organizing and winning elections. What's the highest form public office that Perez has won an election for?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #711 on: February 14, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »

I'm still mad about the "Perez will appeal to centrists!" argument. Who gives a crap? When Republicans selected Reince Priebus, did they think about what moderates and liberals would think or did they go for whoever they thought would do the best job?

Also, being close to the center politically has NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW LIKABLE YOU ARE. Dem leadership really needs to gets this through their head. Debbie Wasserman Schultz was relatively centrist and everybody on all sides of the political spectrum hated her. A charismatic and likable idealist will beat a bland and unlikable centrist every time, unless the electorate is made up of Democratic Party insiders.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #712 on: February 14, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »

Perez and Ellison literally agree on everything, why the doom and gloom?

Because one endorsed Sanders and the other endorsed Clinton.

Since Perez endorsed Clinton, he is a moral black hole of a human being with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #713 on: February 14, 2017, 08:26:42 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 08:28:21 PM by Doctor Imperialism »

Don't be surprised if the loser Democrats choose Perez and settle into a period of irrelevance like the party did in the 1920s. They still keep counting on "Trump = bad man" as enough alone to win

Jesus f-cking Christ just because Perez endorsed Clinton and is apparently an evil globalist doesn't mean that this is the end of our party as we know it. Perez is a progressive. What the f-ck is wrong with people?

this this this
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #714 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:55 PM »

Listen I like Perez but choosing him over Keith will be a f**king disater. The party needs unity and the Bernie eing will bolt if Keith loses to someone who supports Tpp
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #715 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »

Listen I like Perez but choosing him over Keith will be a f**king disater. The party needs unity and the Bernie eing will bolt if Keith loses to someone who supports Tpp

I hate that the only convincing argument against Perez is that the Bernie fanatics will throw a temper tantrum if he wins
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #716 on: February 14, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »

Since Perez endorsed Clinton, he is a moral black hole of a human being with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I hate that the only convincing argument against Perez is that the Bernie fanatics will throw a temper tantrum if he wins

Ugh another one of these idiots? Please go become a Republican, your destroying the party.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #717 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

As others have said, most of the issue isn't with Perez himself. It's that many Democrats in power want him simply because they don't want Ellison. I don't think he'd be a disaster at all, but I think it would signify that the "corporate" wing of the Democratic Party is still the one that gets to call the shots and get their choice of candidate.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #718 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:42 PM »

Ugh another one of these idiots? Please go become a Republican, your destroying the party.

I voted for Sanders. F-ck the lunatics that are dragging the name of one of Maryland's best politicians through the mud because of this proxy war bullsh**t.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #719 on: February 14, 2017, 08:39:05 PM »

As others have said, most of the issue isn't with Perez himself. It's that many Democrats in power want him simply because they don't want Ellison. I don't think he'd be a disaster at all, but I think it would signify that the "corporate" wing of the Democratic Party is still the one that gets to call the shots and get their choice of candidate.

This. I have no problem with Perez and political positions are mostly irrelevant for DNC Chair. It's the fact that Perez is very clearly the candidate favored by the people holding the Democrats back.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #720 on: February 14, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »

This is more of an activist issue anyway. Voters do not care about this stuff, and even the ones that do will probably come around by election time. The Democratic Party will remain for the foreseeable future the best option for basically anyone on the left to turn their visions into public policy. In our election system, it would be much easier to change the party than to work outside of it. In this case it may take more than one presidential election loss to make a lot of progress in party reform, though.

In the end, if the public turns against Trump and Republicans by 2018, Democrats will likely make significant gains under the stewardship of either of these guys.

Anyway, I hate this kind of intra-party squabbling, so I am just going to check back here when a decision is close to being made.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #721 on: February 14, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »

I swear to God -- it's simple. Just give the Bernie wing what they want. Perez as DNC chair means a repeat of their stubborn refusal to support Democrats in 2018 and 2020. Keith Ellison will do a great job and prevent that disaster from coming to pass.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #722 on: February 14, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »

I think it'll come down to some wheeling and dealing, hopefully this will get everyone to unite. Right now, with the current political climate, Keith Ellison should be the leader of the DNC with his vast knowledge in grassroots organizing. I would think have Tom Perez be the Vice Chair so the establishment wing still has a say and they have good donors. The DNC though needs to give the Progressive Wing their chance to show what their made of... 2018 could change the whole narrative, you have people like Ted Cruz up for re-election, you could run someone like Julian Castro and win. Trump is going to be a dumpster fire in 2 years, the scandals will just keep racking up.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #723 on: February 14, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »

There's some irony in that the most action the Democratic Party has taken regarding Muslims is trying to prevent one from becoming DNC chair.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #724 on: February 14, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »

There's some irony in that the most action the Democratic Party has taken regarding Muslims is trying to prevent one from becoming DNC chair.

This is a bad take and you know it.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies