The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:48:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 107771 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: February 15, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »

Woooo! Tom Perez!!!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #751 on: February 15, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »

I still have yet to see an explanation for why Perez jumped in in the first place. What did he see that was wrong with Ellison? If they're so similar, why should Ellison's supporters have to bend the knee?

As much as I miss Obama, he did very little in the way of party building, and should have stayed out of this race. When Ellison entered, the first thing the people Obamaworld did was to start looking for an alternative challenger. I don't blame Perez, just the powers backing him. This goes beyond ideology and who is more progressive. It goes back to the themes of one side of the party telling the other that they know better. That they should stop, sit down, and let them take care of it, when it's under their watch that we got into this mess.

Well put.

I will try my hardest to avoid any sort of circular firing squad. We all need to be united against the fake president and his cult. But at the same time, I don't feel Perez is what the party needs right now. Perez and his backers and ideas are how we ended up stuck with Trump and GOP dominance in the first place!
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #752 on: February 15, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »

I feel that the next DNC Chair should be Ellison, but I fear that it's gonna be Perez.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #753 on: February 15, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »

Why the DNC is terrible and needs reform example 1423:

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #754 on: February 15, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »

Perez had the balls to describe himself as a "progressive who gets things done" with no sense of irony. He has no respect for the Bernie wing.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #755 on: February 15, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »

I feel that the next DNC Chair should be Ellison, but I fear that it's gonna be Perez.

Why do you fear that?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #756 on: February 15, 2017, 06:25:34 PM »

i am very confused by what im reading
SCNCmod

« Reply #757 on: February 15, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2017, 06:48:03 PM by SCNCmod »

This stupid fight has caused me to shift my support to Pete Buttigieg.

Aside from the fact that I think Buttigieg would actually do the best job (he is extremely bright- a rhodes scholar... he has been extremely successful turning around the economy of a failing  midwestern city, etc) ....

this is one of the best reasons to go with Buttigieg (he would have the full support of both Perez and Ellison supporters... since he has displayed a lot of respect for Sanders, Obama, and Clinton in the past).
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #758 on: February 15, 2017, 07:16:43 PM »

A quote from the same guy:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »

It's only smart if Buckley has any actual support.

Tangential: Tim Ryan just endorsed Jaime Harrison for DNC Chair on his Facebook. Which seems odd.

smh, talk about throwing your potential newfound influence in the trash.
SCNCmod

« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2017, 07:35:40 PM by SCNCmod »

It's only smart if Buckley has any actual support.

Tangential: Tim Ryan just endorsed Jaime Harrison for DNC Chair on his Facebook. Which seems odd.

smh, talk about throwing your potential newfound influence in the trash.

Why would Tim Ryan not support fellow midwesterner Pete Buttigieg (who I think has a much better chance of becoming a consensus pick.. than does Harrison). Also Buttigieg has a record of being a transformative and effective Mayor .. vs.. Harrison's record as South Carolina DNC chair (SC Dem party has shown no advances)...

even some of the congressional districts that Dems could potentially win... continue to recycle previously failed Dem candidates  (who serve more as a "fill in" candidate with no chance of ever winning) ... You could even argue that 1 reason SC Rep party has become more moderate (in some ways).. is b/c there is virtually no Dem party at all in SC anymore.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #761 on: February 15, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »

A quote from the same guy:

LOL

What does William Owen think of the DNC telling the media to cover Trump more to boost his campaign?
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #762 on: February 15, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »

If they want to start winning elections again, they need to go with Ray Buckley or Pete Buttigeig.  As a Republican, I pray that they select Keith Ellison, who has absolutely no chance to bring back the working class white voters that the Democrats need.
SCNCmod

« Reply #763 on: February 15, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »

As a Republican, I pray that they select Keith Ellison, who has absolutely no chance to bring back the working class white voters that the Democrats need.

False. Left-wing populism is exactly what the Democratic Party needs in order to regain lost ground with WWCs.

"Disagree" is much more accurate than "False" ... I happen to agree that Ellison is not what the Dem party needs- and that Buttigieg is a much smarter choice.  He's outside of Washington, He can united all sides of the Party... and he can connect with rural and midwestern trump voters who would love to have their town experience the turnaround Buttigieg has achieved as Mayor of his hometown.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #764 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »

As a Republican, I pray that they select Keith Ellison, who has absolutely no chance to bring back the working class white voters that the Democrats need.
False. Left-wing populism is exactly what the Democratic Party needs in order to regain lost ground with WWCs.
"Disagree" is much more accurate than "False" ... I happen to agree that Ellison is not what the Dem party needs- and that Buttigieg is a much smarter choice.  He's outside of Washington, He can united all sides of the Party... and he can connect with rural and midwestern trump voters who would love to have their town experience the turnaround Buttigieg has achieved as Mayor of his hometown.

I like Buttigieg, but Ellison would do a much better job at tapping into left-wing economic populism than him.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #765 on: February 15, 2017, 11:09:10 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2017, 11:12:30 PM by Alpha »

Deadspin article: "Just Elect Keith Ellison Already"

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #766 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:18 AM »

The main thing is Consultant contracts where they do nothing & rip off the DNC. Buckley & many others have been harsh on Consultant contracts. Nebraska Party Chair (& Ex Bernie surrogate) said Consultants take huge contracts & then call State Chairs & get the stuff done by State Chairs while the State doesn't have any money, nothing comes from the DNC.

Perez is the only one who is completely soft on the Consultant & is working hard to get lobbyist votes.

It will be a disaster if Perez wins.

Ellison is a phenomenal grass-roots organizer who will do well. Pete B is a young boy who is just a Mayor (& to be honest he is a decent speaker but has given no indication that he can do the job)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #767 on: February 16, 2017, 01:13:00 AM »

CT Gov Malloy endorses Perez. Roll Eyes

http://www.courant.com/politics/capitol-watch/hc-malloy-endorses-tom-perez-for-dnc-chair-20170215-story.html
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #768 on: February 16, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »

It'll be a disaster if Perez is elected. Just elect Ellison, plain and simple.
SCNCmod

« Reply #769 on: February 16, 2017, 06:17:28 AM »

The main thing is Consultant contracts where they do nothing & rip off the DNC. Buckley & many others have been harsh on Consultant contracts. Nebraska Party Chair (& Ex Bernie surrogate) said Consultants take huge contracts & then call State Chairs & get the stuff done by State Chairs while the State doesn't have any money, nothing comes from the DNC.

Perez is the only one who is completely soft on the Consultant & is working hard to get lobbyist votes.

It will be a disaster if Perez wins.

Ellison is a phenomenal grass-roots organizer who will do well. Pete B is a young boy who is just a Mayor (& to be honest he is a decent speaker but has given no indication that he can do the job)

Buttigieg... no indication that he can do the job??? 

Every thing he has ever done has been a success...

1)  In High School- he won the JFK Profiles in Courage Essay (writing an essay about Bernie Sanders Courage as an Ind Senator), was Valedictorian & President of his High School Student Body.

2)  Then Graduated with Honors from Harvard & was President of the Harvard Institute of Politics Student Advisory Committee.

3)  Then went to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar earning a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

4)  In addition to serving a stint in Afghanistan, he Was elected Mayor of his home town of South Bend at age 29 (the youngest 100k+ population mayor at the time) ... and has more than succeeded in completely Turning around a failing City (one of the best turnaround city stories in the country)...and with the highest ethics & transparency (all of the cities finances are completely available to the public online)...   

5)  I think he will be just as successful in the role of DNC Chair & instituting a system and strategic plan to ensure Dems start winning elections again. (he can use that Rhodes Scholar Brilliance to stay a step ahead of the Republican Party).

Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #770 on: February 16, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »

The first 3 are just academic achievements, not political ones, and the 5th one is a talking point and not a real argument
SCNCmod

« Reply #771 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2017, 08:11:05 AM by SCNCmod »

The first 3 are just academic achievements, not political ones, and the 5th one is a talking point and not a real argument

Hence the only one I highlighted was #4:
4)  In addition to serving a stint in Afghanistan, he Was elected Mayor of his home town of South Bend at age 29 (the youngest 100k+ population mayor at the time) ... and has more than succeeded in completely Turning around a failing midwestern City (one of the best turnaround city stories in the country)...and with the highest ethics & transparency (all of the cities finances are completely available to the public online)...  

.... He is one of the very few mayors in the US who has succeeded at such a task in the past 5 years.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #772 on: February 16, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »

Ed Rendell, former PA Gov and DNC Chair, endorses Buttigieg.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #773 on: February 16, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »

Hence the only one I highlighted was #4:
4)  In addition to serving a stint in Afghanistan, he Was elected Mayor of his home town of South Bend at age 29 (the youngest 100k+ population mayor at the time) ... and has more than succeeded in completely Turning around a failing midwestern City (one of the best turnaround city stories in the country)...and with the highest ethics & transparency (all of the cities finances are completely available to the public online)...  

.... He is one of the very few mayors in the US who has succeeded at such a task in the past 5 years.

His accomplishments as mayor don't matter at all for DNC chair.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #774 on: February 16, 2017, 01:30:22 PM »

Ellison emails DNC members, says Perez is trying "to exert pressure on you.":

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies