The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:04:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 108316 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: February 17, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »

Most of the Senators who supported Hillary in the primary who have endorsed someone in this race have endorsed Keith Ellison. Clearly the other candidates don't have enough support from Senators who endorsed Hillary in the primary. Tongue

Based on endorsements, it really appears that Ellison's base is Congress/DC establishment, while Perez's base seems to be more of the nationwide establishment, particularly Governors.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #801 on: February 17, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »

There's a difference between "we need to be unified" and "we need to present an entirely centrist vision of our party". Right now it feels like the only power progressives have is the voting base and not any of the institutions.

If you look at a spectrum... Progressives are the furthest away from the majority of the country (as are the far right)... so it is a bit natural that neither of these 2 sides is ever going to get everything they want. But sometimes I feel like progressives want all or nothing (or think a politician should support all of their positions... or they are a total sell out).

Don't get me wrong- I agree with many if not most of the Progressive policy stances... But I consider myself more moderate sometimes... almost solely because I'm not willing to demonize a Dem politician who has a more moderate stance on a few issues.

If you look at policy polling numbers, you'll find that this is patently untrue. When presented with policy options from a living wage to Medicare for all, vast majorities of the population support the progressive option.

I think that's definitely true among Dems (which is why I said Progressives and Moderates agree on 80% of policy).  I don't trust numbers that attribute many republican with similar views... Most Republicans I've every know... Don't like Hillary's views- But thought Bernie's policies were a total joke (of course this is likely more so the case in the South East)

The polls are not of Democrats. They are nationwide, general population polls.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #802 on: February 17, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »

With the vote being secret ballot... I wonder how much effect indorsement will really have this year... when members are more likely to think long and hard about who is best to help lay the frame work to take back congress and the presidency, etc. (whether that Ellison or not)

Who are you supporting?  I'm just curious...

He supports Buttigieg and writes like smoltchanov.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #803 on: February 17, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »

I'm going to be baffled that Ellison isn't cleaning up with this until he does actually win (or not I guess). This shouldn't be a proxy war; I was a major HRC supporter who actually really didn't like Bernie at all but I am fully behind the Ellison hype train.

Why wasn't Bernie the right fit for the party? There are a few reasons.

He wasn't an actual Democrat. Ellison is, and he's a 6-term congressman at that who's been working within the party since his election. He wants to improve the party's organisational capacity and return to the 50 state strategy.

He was never able to reach out to communities of colour during the campaign. Ellison's district is far less white than Vermont, and of course Ellison himself isn't white.

Sanders often times acted like a petulant child during the campaign. (though I blame Weaver for that mostly) Ellison isn't doing that, at all.

But Ellison is a strong progressive who understands both the Sanders wing and the necessary components of the Clinton wing (nonwhite Dems). Schumer and Al Franken, both HRC supporters, understand this too. Perez has no reason to be here, and the Clinton wing loses nothing by putting Ellison in charge.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #804 on: February 17, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2017, 05:49:52 PM by watermelon »

But Ellison is a strong progressive who understands both the Sanders wing and the necessary components of the Clinton wing (nonwhite Dems). Schumer and Al Franken, both HRC supporters, understand this too. Perez has no reason to be here, and the Clinton wing loses nothing by putting Ellison in charge.

hahahaha you are really naive.  I will just quote myself:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, describing non-whites as the Clinton-wing is laughable.

Clinton's so-called support among minorities was due to her being more known.  In California, which was the last primary and Bernie was well-known after campaigning for so many months, he won hispanics as well as the predominantly African-American city of Oakland.  He also did significantly better than Hillary among younger members of minority groups.
I mean seriously, how can you call minorities the Clinton-wing when turn-out among minorities was at an all-time low in the general election?

Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #805 on: February 17, 2017, 05:50:06 PM »

hahahaha you are really naive.  I will just quote myself:

Non-white Democrats did vote for HRC over Sanders by large margins; it's the reason why she was the nominee and he wasn't.

Basically what I'm saying is that HRC won in part because she got a lot of votes from very liberal dems (such as myself) and I don't see any reason why very liberal HRC supporters would not want Ellison.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #806 on: February 17, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »

hahahaha you are really naive.  I will just quote myself:

Non-white Democrats did vote for HRC over Sanders by large margins; it's the reason why she was the nominee and he wasn't.

Basically what I'm saying is that HRC won in part because she got a lot of votes from very liberal dems (such as myself) and I don't see any reason why very liberal HRC supporters would not want Ellison.

I edited my response above to explain why I thought your comment was laughable.  I won't even address your comments about who acted like a child during the primaries.  The videos of Hillary acting like a spoiled baby when BLM or Greenpeace activists confronted her, are available for everyone to see on youtube.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #807 on: February 17, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »

I edited my response above to explain why I thought your comment was laughable.  I won't even address your comments about who acted like a child during the primaries.  The videos of Hillary acting like a spoiled baby when BLM or Greenpeace activists confronted her, are available for everyone to see on youtube.

You know Hillary won the primary thanks to non-white voters, right? That's not up for debate, that's an established fact.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #808 on: February 17, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

This is stupid. Yeah, a lot of us liberal Dems supported Hillary. That means nothing when it comes to the fact that these consultants and big wigs feel threatened by Ellison. It's not us standing in the way of Ellison. No one's saying it is. It's them.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #809 on: February 17, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »

I edited my response above to explain why I thought your comment was laughable.  I won't even address your comments about who acted like a child during the primaries.  The videos of Hillary acting like a spoiled baby when BLM or Greenpeace activists confronted her, are available for everyone to see on youtube.

You know Hillary won the primary thanks to non-white voters, right? That's not up for debate, that's an established fact.

As I explained above, the issue of whether she was the candidate of minority groups has a more complicated answer than who got more votes in the primaries.  Her lack of support among minorities, especially younger people in the general election, shows that she had some issues with that particular demographic.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #810 on: February 17, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »

This is stupid. Yeah, a lot of us liberal Dems supported Hillary. That means nothing when it comes to the fact that these consultants and big wigs feel threatened by Ellison. It's not us standing in the way of Ellison. No one's saying it is. It's them.

I don't disagree with you.  A lot of people supported Hillary over Bernie for different reasons obviously.  I would actually say that the Hillary supporters that I oppose are a very small minority of her total support.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #811 on: February 17, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »

Most of the Senators who supported Hillary in the primary who have endorsed someone in this race have endorsed Keith Ellison. Clearly the other candidates don't have enough support from Senators who endorsed Hillary in the primary. Tongue

Based on endorsements, it really appears that Ellison's base is Congress/DC establishment, while Perez's base seems to be more of the nationwide establishment, particularly Governors.

Ellison has a lot of support from state officials and unions.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #812 on: February 18, 2017, 01:06:34 AM »

Ellison has a lot of support from state officials and unions.
Isn't it only the committee members and state party chairs who vote? Or am I missing something?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #813 on: February 18, 2017, 11:52:58 AM »

Buckley dropping out and endorsing Ellison, as Shapiro predicted.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #814 on: February 18, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »

Good news, could be enough depending on how much support Buckley had, but this still feels like a multi ballot race.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #815 on: February 18, 2017, 01:02:04 PM »

Buttigieg is coming to GW in an hour, anyone have a question I should ask?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #816 on: February 18, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »

Don't bs just straight up if you dropped out would you support Perez or Ellison
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #817 on: February 18, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »

What is his plan for regaining the working class class voters that are traditionally Democratic while simultaneously expanding on the progress Democrats have made with the wealthier, more educated voters?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #818 on: February 18, 2017, 01:48:13 PM »

I would word it: "If you were eliminated and the options were down to Ellison and Perez, who would you back?"
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #819 on: February 18, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »

Keith Ellison will be the next DNC chair. He is a Sunni Muslim, he and the Democrats should expect to face onslaught attacks from now til 2018. I won't be surprised if Republicans use Ellison in their campaigns in 2017 and 2018.

I like Ellison's personality, he is good on some of the issues, but he could be a distraction for Democrats. However, I want to see if he can appeal to white working class voters. He'll probably run for president in 2020's, or run for U.S. Senate from Minnesota if Franken retires.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #820 on: February 18, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2017, 03:19:40 PM by Castro »

First off, as impressive as he is on TV, believe me when I say that Buttigieg is even more impressive in person. He was personable, funny, direct, comfortable in the small setting, and also very handsome. I was able to ask him who he would support between Ellison and Perez if it got down to that point, and he answered that he was not able to say and liked them both for different reasons, and that he was not prepared to give his answer to a choice between the two. He also apologized for if he sounded like he was dodging the question. Based on the way he answered other questions, and invoked the "establishment" as apart from himself, I got the impression that he would be more likely to back Ellison.

Also, he hinted at a potential run for Governor in 2020.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #821 on: February 18, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »

Keith Ellison will be the next DNC chair. He is a Sunni Muslim, he and the Democrats should expect to face onslaught attacks from now til 2018. I won't be surprised if Republicans use Ellison in their campaigns in 2017 and 2018.

Nobody will care.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #822 on: February 18, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »

Please ask something substantial.  This is not a question he is required to answer.
SCNCmod

« Reply #823 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »

First off, as impressive as he is on TV, believe me when I say that Buttigieg is even more impressive in person. He was personable, funny, direct, comfortable in the small setting, and also very handsome.

Assuming most DNC Committee members have met him... Maybe this will lead members to vote for Buttigieg, regardless of endorsements (since the vote is secret ballot)
Trapsy

« Reply #824 on: February 20, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »

Buttigieg has the momentum right now.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies