The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:36:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106050 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »

In reality,  believing that "oh white people are so racist they would FREAK OUT if a black guy was leader" would be proof the Democrats have learnt the wrong lesson from 2016.

I genuinely want to believe this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »

I think the most important thing is to have Democrats challenging Republicans in every race nationwide.  No race should go unopposed.  And if it means running conservative Democrats in conservative districts... well, we can hash that out when we win congress and assign committee seats and leadership.

It is really important to stress that we're not pandering to rural whites... we're including them as much as possible.

We can't continue to speak lip service to "inclusiveness" while we write off, often with haughty dismissiveness, vast swathes of America.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »

I think the most important thing is to have Democrats challenging Republicans in every race nationwide.  No race should go unopposed.  And if it means running conservative Democrats in conservative districts... well, we can hash that out when we win congress and assign committee seats and leadership.

It is really important to stress that we're not pandering to rural whites... we're including them as much as possible.

We can't continue to speak lip service to "inclusiveness" while we write off, often with haughty dismissiveness, vast swathes of America.

great post, freedom fighter mindset.

no to cheap nationalism, yes to hearing and fighting the sorrows of all americans.

obama didn't got so many votes out of trump country cause of his fair skin.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2016, 07:42:36 PM »

In reality,  believing that "oh white people are so racist they would FREAK OUT if a black guy was leader" would be proof the Democrats have learnt the wrong lesson from 2016.

It should go without saying that the Muslim thing is the real reason for the fear about this effect.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2016, 09:24:24 PM »

great post, freedom fighter mindset.

no to cheap nationalism, yes to hearing and fighting the sorrows of all americans.

obama didn't got so many votes out of trump country cause of his fair skin.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »

So Rachel Maddow's tease for a dark horse candidate never came through?

SC Party Chairman Jamie Harrison announced on her show.

Gracias.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2016, 01:47:14 AM »

Are conservative Democrats even that better at winning? No Democrat got elected Senator in a Trump state this year. Bayh was supposed to be some god of Indiana politics and went down. Two Trump states have pretty liberal senators: Brown and Baldwin. And just for fun, check out the ideology of the last 2 Democratic Senators from Idaho. They were two of the most liberal Senators ever.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2016, 02:01:15 AM »

I think the most important thing is to have Democrats challenging Republicans in every race nationwide.  No race should go unopposed.  And if it means running conservative Democrats in conservative districts... well, we can hash that out when we win congress and assign committee seats and leadership.

Are conservative Democrats even that better at winning? No Democrat got elected Senator in a Trump state this year. Bayh was supposed to be some god of Indiana politics and went down. Two Trump states have pretty liberal senators: Brown and Baldwin. And just for fun, check out the ideology of the last 2 Democratic Senators from Idaho. They were two of the most liberal Senators ever.

What the heck has happened to this country... The polarization breaks my heart Sad
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2016, 02:18:11 AM »

I think the most important thing is to have Democrats challenging Republicans in every race nationwide.  No race should go unopposed.  And if it means running conservative Democrats in conservative districts... well, we can hash that out when we win congress and assign committee seats and leadership.

What the heck has happened to this country... The polarization breaks my heart Sad

My one sole hope for the Trump presidency is that we see the return of Freudenthal-esque flukey Democratic wins in red territory.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2016, 05:05:26 AM »

bayh was a broken candidate.....kander should have won, if personality is anything.

but we have learned during the last year, that atm republicans have a bigger chance to get elected in blue states, than dems in red states, so there is a kind of "additional effort" needed anyway.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2016, 07:14:09 AM »

plus: putting the political efficacy aside - now would be the absolute worst time for democrats to throw minorities under the bus.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »

Howard Dean was a fantastic DNC chair, but he is Yesterday's Man.  We ran a lot of has-beens this year (virtually all of whom lost), and I think it's time for some new blood, and who better than a young Muslim congressman from Minnesota with a reliably progressive voting record?  

Selecting Keith Ellison would certainly send a signal that the Democratic Party gets 'it'.  

It does the exact opposite. We lost because we both alienated white working class voters and didn't turn out minorities. The DNC is a full time job, which Ellison can't commit to as a Congressman. Ellison should be chair of the DCCC or co-chair of the DNC with him as the public face of the party and Dean in charge of actual operations, similar to the format of the '90s.

Oh give me a break.  Did you say that when super-corrupt DWS was the chair?  No of course you didn't.  And of course you want Howard lobbyist Dean, who was probably the most disgusting Clinton surrogate during the primaries.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »

My one sole hope for the Trump presidency is that we see the return of Freudenthal-esque flukey Democratic wins in red territory.
How many blue states are red downballot? We have to win downballot in red states and we can't just do that by saying "me, too".

Fruedenthal was really good at triangulation. He supported gun rights as a proxy for criminal justice reform and supported grocery tax cuts to help the poor.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »

So Rachel Maddow's tease for a dark horse candidate never came through?

SC Party Chairman Jamie Harrison announced on her show.

The Podesta Group lobbyist who caught major flak during the primaries for alleged collusion with the Clinton campaign while overseeing a state primary election? Oh dear...

lol Maddow has lost any credibility she once had.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »

Ellison has the endorsement of  the state chairmen in Wisconsin, Hawaii, Nebraska, and his home state of Minnesota. Also Elizabeth Warren recently formally endorsed Ellison.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »

Ellison has the endorsement of  the state chairmen in Wisconsin, Hawaii, Nebraska, and his home state of Minnesota. Also Elizabeth Warren recently formally endorsed Ellison.

This actually matters, as state chairman vote and were suppose to be heavily behind Dean
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »

Howard Dean was who was needed in 2005-2009. He's since lost touch with what is necessary. I think Ellison is the choice for what Democrats need to do from 2017-2021.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2016, 06:06:25 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 06:15:59 PM by Malcolm X »

So can someone actually explain the case for Ellison?  I'm genuinely curious, but so far all I see is some variation of "if you don't support him, you must be a racist/islamaphobic/a DINO" which is obviously stupid and insulting as hell.  What reason do we have to think Ellison is the right person for the job?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »

So can someone actually explain the case for Ellison?  I'm genuinely curious, but so far all I see is some variation of "if you don't support him, you must be a racist/islamaphobic/a DINO" which is obviously stupid and insulting as hell.  What reason do we have to think Ellison is the right person for the job?  I'm genuinely curious.

I support Dean, but my understanding is:

He has support from multiple wings of the party

He has experience in grassroots work, has worked to build up party in Minnesota

Would be a break from the old guard
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »

This actually matters, as state chairman vote and were suppose to be heavily behind Dean

I think the state chairmen said they planned to vote as a bloc, and Dean has the support of far more of the state parties.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2016, 08:05:59 PM »

I am more concerned who will be leading the DSCC, DCCC & DGA because they are the ones who are actually recruiting candidates for these races.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »

If Ellison has anything to do with the success of the DFL party in Minnesota, then he's probably a good choice.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2016, 08:27:34 PM »

If Ellison has anything to do with the success of the DFL party in Minnesota, then he's probably a good choice.
The right will demonize him as a radical black muslim convert with questionable ties from his past.

But as a congressman he has brought DFL values to Washington and represents a majority NH white district.

I've said this a few times now:

My heart says Ellison.  He's a Minnesotan and I think he's a genuinely good person.

But my mind and gut say Howard Dean.  Tried and true.  Governor from a small, rural state.  Progressive/liberal.  Believes in including everyone without litmus tests as a big tent left wing party.  Is not in congress.

Logic dictates Howard Dean.  Heartstrings play an Ellison song.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »

I don't really know enough about Ellison or Dean to know who's really the best choice. But the DNC chair is an administrative role, not someone who has to directly appeal to voters.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2016, 09:46:21 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 09:48:41 PM by DavidB. »

Great, encouraging sign for Jews, the single group that trended most Democratic in the 2016 election. It would be truly shameful if Ellison won this, turning the Democratic Party into the next UK Labour where anti-Jewish sentiments are actively being promoted by the leadership. Just what we need in these times of uncertainty. Of course, an anti-Jewish turn in the Democratic Party was to be expected given the developments on college campuses, but if Hillary Clinton had been elected, the process could at least have been slowed down.

Both are deplorable, but I'd prefer Bannon over Ellison and it's not even close.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies