The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:39:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106037 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: December 24, 2016, 09:32:35 PM »

Honestly only Ellison has impressed me so far in his plans for the DNC. It seems to be mostly an Ellison vs. Perez fight, and Perez hasn't really given too many reasons to back him.

I mean, Ellison is an anti-Semite, so...

If Ellison was actually an anti-Semite, which he is so obviously not, then he wouldn't have support from Jews like me, Sanders, and Schumer. Some of his remarks have been at odds with current US policy towards Israel, but I have said just as critical things. That does not make someone anti-Semitic.

If Donald Trump was actually a sexist, then he wouldn't have support from women like Laura Ingram, Shelley Moore Capito, and Kellyanne Conway Roll Eyes

The situations between sexism and antisemitism here are not at all comparable, and Schumer is more reputable as a person to vouch for someone's character on this matter.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #326 on: December 24, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »

Honestly only Ellison has impressed me so far in his plans for the DNC. It seems to be mostly an Ellison vs. Perez fight, and Perez hasn't really given too many reasons to back him.

If Ellison was actually an anti-Semite, which he is so obviously not, then he wouldn't have support from Jews like me, Sanders, and Schumer. Some of his remarks have been at odds with current US policy towards Israel, but I have said just as critical things. That does not make someone anti-Semitic.

Do you consider Trump anti-Semitic?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #327 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:54 PM »

No.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #328 on: December 25, 2016, 09:18:05 AM »

He certainly engaged in quite a bit of Jew-baiting during the general election.  The sense I get with Trump is more that while he doesn't believe a lot of that stuff, he's more than willing to trot out anti-Semitic dog whistles when it suits him (kind of like Ted Cruz).  Of course, I'd argue the fact that he knows better and does it anyway makes it even more repugnant. 

I should clarify with regard to Ellison, that there are different gradations and types of anti-Semitism.  I don't think Ellison is as anti-Semitic as the likes of David Duke or even Steve Bannon, I think his repeated defense of Louis Farrakhan (especially his claim that Farrakhan hasn't made anti-Semitic comments) speaks volumes.  His ties to the Nation of Islam worry me far more than his comments on Israel.  Ultimately, Ellison has a bunch of little things which on their own could potentially be overlooked, but taken together establish a pattern of behavior which suggests Ellison is very much a soft anti-Semite.   
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #329 on: December 25, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »

I'm starting to lose the large amount of respect I have for Perez. If the Democrats want to keep clinging to TPP and their establishment party machines then they can forget about winning back the presidency in 2020.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #330 on: December 25, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »

I'm starting to lose the large amount of respect I have for Perez. If the Democrats want to keep clinging to TPP and their establishment party machines then they can forget about winning back the presidency in 2020.

Democrats aren't "clinging to TPP". Perez is still Obama's Secretary of Labor, and as such had to promote Obama's policies. That doesn't mean he supports TPP himself. It's the same people that can't seem to grasp this simple truth that also fail to understand that the DNC isn't some King of the Democrats that lays out policy on national tv.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #331 on: December 25, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »

Democrats aren't "clinging to TPP". Perez is still Obama's Secretary of Labor, and as such had to promote Obama's policies. That doesn't mean he supports TPP himself. It's the same people that can't seem to grasp this simple truth that also fail to understand that the DNC isn't some King of the Democrats that lays out policy on national tv.

Good point
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #332 on: December 25, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »

Yeah, but his answer in that video was just so bad. Instead of just saying what you said above, he started going on an incoherent spiel about Mexican labor rights, etc. It seemed a little insincere.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »

This is old news from 12/18, but Pete Buttigieg says he's not a candidate for DNC Chair.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/politics/south-bend-mayor-pete-buttigieg-i-m-not-a-candidate/article_6f0c73f0-c473-11e6-8745-83db249696c1.html

So, looks like the five candidates are:

-Keith Ellison, Congressman from MN-5
-Tom Perez, Secretary of Labor
-Ray Buckley, Chairman of the New Hampshire Democratic Party
-Jaime Harrison, Chairman of the South Carolina Democratic Party
-Sally Boynton Brown, Executive Director of the Idaho Democratic Party

With other potential candidates being:

-Ruben Gallego, Congressman from AZ-6
-John Perez, Former Speaker of the California Assembly
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #334 on: December 31, 2016, 01:05:48 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2016, 01:12:54 AM by Beet »

This is old news from 12/18, but Pete Buttigieg says he's not a candidate for DNC Chair.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/politics/south-bend-mayor-pete-buttigieg-i-m-not-a-candidate/article_6f0c73f0-c473-11e6-8745-83db249696c1.html

So, looks like the five candidates are:

-Keith Ellison, Congressman from MN-5
-Tom Perez, Secretary of Labor
-Ray Buckley, Chairman of the New Hampshire Democratic Party
-Jaime Harrison, Chairman of the South Carolina Democratic Party
-Sally Boynton Brown, Executive Director of the Idaho Democratic Party

With other potential candidates being:

-Ruben Gallego, Congressman from AZ-6
-John Perez, Former Speaker of the California Assembly

With Obama's recent non-veto of an anti-Israel resolution, and the ADL, Alan Dershowitz and Haim Saban's statements, things are getting serious. Jews need reassurance that the Democrats are not going to abandon them. Jerry Brown would be a good candidate, does he really want to be governor of California for two more years? He is a four-term elected leader of the biggest Democratic state. He has political experience and connections with minorities, Silicon Valley, and the establishment. On the other hand he does not have an uber liberal image like Nancy Pelosi. He is not a Clinton hack, as he only reluctantly endorsed her after it was clear she had already won.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #335 on: December 31, 2016, 02:17:53 AM »

With Obama's recent non-veto of an anti-Israel resolution, and the ADL, Alan Dershowitz and Haim Saban's statements, things are getting serious. Jews need reassurance that the Democrats are not going to abandon them.

Huh?

Am I reading too much into this, or are you subtly suggesting that Ellison shouldn't be DNC chair because he's Muslim?

I know that's probably not what you're saying, but I just got that impression from your reply.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #336 on: December 31, 2016, 03:25:24 AM »

With Obama's recent non-veto of an anti-Israel resolution, and the ADL, Alan Dershowitz and Haim Saban's statements, things are getting serious. Jews need reassurance that the Democrats are not going to abandon them.

Huh?

Am I reading too much into this, or are you subtly suggesting that Ellison shouldn't be DNC chair because he's Muslim?

I know that's probably not what you're saying, but I just got that impression from your reply.

If Ellison doesn't win, there will be repercussions. Huge amount of progressives & young people will leave the Dem party for the Green party & try to build that up. Bernie now has half the base. He could help push a significant portion away from the Dem party if he wants affecting ending the Dem party electorally!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2016, 07:50:59 AM »

Governor Moonbeam is 78 years old. I doubt he wants to take up a new and thankless job at this point in his life. Jerry Brown is most likely in the final office of his long and fruitful career.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »

Huh?

It's his Nation of Islam connections that seem to be the problem. Personally, I don't care about it, but we need Jewish Americans (not just Bernie) on board.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »

Huh?

It's his Nation of Islam connections that seem to be the problem. Personally, I don't care about it, but we need Jewish Americans (not just Bernie) on board.

Is J Street not enough?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2016, 10:09:18 AM »

Huh?

Is J Street not enough?

Not really. They're an Astroturf organization designed to carry water for whatever left-wing policies Obama attempts to impose on Israel. I bet they cease to exist in any meaningful form after he's gone.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »

Huh?

If Ellison doesn't win, there will be repercussions. Huge amount of progressives & young people will leave the Dem party for the Green party & try to build that up. Bernie now has half the base. He could help push a significant portion away from the Dem party if he wants affecting ending the Dem party electorally!

Tom Perez is almost as progressive as Ellison. This is delusional
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2016, 11:47:50 AM »

Huh?

Tom Perez is almost as progressive as Ellison. This is delusional

Obama has done enough "damage" to the Dem party - It is time for a change. The "same old" is not gonna cut it anymore.

There are millions of progressives. And the last thing people want is a TPP loving progressive. Perez not only supported it (didn't oppose it 1 bit) but campaigned for it. And he is till justifying & campaigning for TPP. If that is his view on trade, then the Dems are never gonna win the Electoral college!

People have decided on Ellison, this Perez BS is not gonna be acceptable anymore.

If the Dems are incapable of reform, the party will die like the whigs & young people will flock to 3rd parties like the Green. If the Greens get a better leader than Stein (someone like Bernie), the Dems are in absolute trouble!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #343 on: December 31, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »

Can we stop Ellison is most likely gonna win seeing as he has Chuck's backing
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »

Huh?

Is J Street not enough?

J-Street does a lot of good work, but honestly, no.  J-Street really isn't enough; not when Ellison has a history of defending the likes of Louis Farrakhan (a man who has been quoted as referring to Hitler as "a great man") and has real ties to an anti-Semitic hate group (The Nation of Islam).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #345 on: December 31, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »

I'm not sure if sounding like Hillary Clinton is a good move for Perez.

Tom Perez ‏@TomPerez  3h3 hours ago
It's not enough to be progressive—We need a progressive who gets things done.

Personally I never liked this slogan because it seemed to imply the natural state of a progressive is someone that doesn't do anything.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #346 on: December 31, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »

Someone persuade me that a party chair is really that important of a position, beyond nuts and bolts stuff. It is not as if the dude sets policy, is it? If the chair does not set policy, who cares if the person is a nut job (not saying Ellison is, but naturally he would not be my choice). Who would be my choice? I don't have a clue, and I pleased that I don't have to make the decision.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #347 on: December 31, 2016, 04:01:55 PM »

Personally I never liked this slogan because it seemed to imply the natural state of a progressive is someone that doesn't do anything.

Disgusting. First Schumer (architect of the failed idea to trade working class whites for suburban Republicans) get's leadership, now this guy wants to head the DNC spouting the same rhetoric of the failed Clinton campaign? Get this third way scum out of here. Bernie needs to lay off Trump until after the inauguration and focus on cleaning house.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #348 on: December 31, 2016, 04:26:12 PM »

Disgusting. First Schumer (architect of the failed idea to trade working class whites for suburban Republicans) get's leadership, now this guy wants to head the DNC spouting the same rhetoric of the failed Clinton campaign? Get this third way scum out of here. Bernie needs to lay off Trump until after the inauguration and focus on cleaning house.

The suburban Pub thing seemed to be working well enough until the last week in the campaign, and then the Comey thing, and whatever, and it worked less well, except in the very highest SES zones. I say the latter, because I notice for example that New Canaan, CT had a 20 point swing to Clinton, which must be one of the most massive in the nation to her. But there are just not enough places that rich and WASPY to make much of an impact. I looked into New Canaan, because my partner Dan was invited to give a lecture there come this spring. It turns out that it is an architectural treasure trove, so I can't wait to get there, as Dan's "escort," or whatever. Smiley
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #349 on: December 31, 2016, 05:51:15 PM »

Disgusting. First Schumer (architect of the failed idea to trade working class whites for suburban Republicans) get's leadership

Long-term, those suburban + white college grad voters are a better catch, and likely necessary for future Democratic downballot strength. White college educated voters are more reliable voters. The better idea would be to try and make inroads with these groups but also get ourselves back to where we were with WWCs in at least 2012-ish.

But, I guess to be fair, Clinton really wasn't the right candidate to do this imo. Something like what happened was bound to happen with her and all the problems she brings to the table.

Is he Third Way? How so?

Bernie needs to lay off Trump until after the inauguration and focus on cleaning house.

If we all want Bernie to get deeply involved in cleaning up the Democratic Party, and if he himself wants to, then he should actually become a Democrat instead of making it a point to stay as an Independent, because afaik he still is. At least to me, it's an important symbolic issue that such a man who wants to shape internal party politics actually be a member of this party.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies