The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:09:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106005 times)
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: February 14, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2017, 05:48:07 PM by Alpha »

If Perez is nominated for DNC chair, it's pretty obvious that any real change in the Democratic Party is going to have to come up from the bottom-up, not starting at the national level.

This is honestly sad, though. Instead of realizing where the real energy is and trying to capture that, the DNC would rather sink their heels in further and clutch on to the same ideas that have failed them the last 20 years.
that may be a good thing, if it comes down to it. Democrats need to be re-built from the bottom-up, and one way to do that is to stop putting faith in national contenders to do their job.
I don't know how that's going to happen.  Democrats can't force the party to stop letting 400+ rich fcks decide on their chair.  If the establishment is this committed to maintaining business as usual, then anything short of a serious Demexit in favor of the Greens or whatever is not going to force their hand.

Yeah, it's going to take a lot to really change the way things are in Washington, but if we see action happening in state parties, then the national party will either change organically or have to respond to that action.

Really, the best thing to do right now is convince the DNC not to vote for Perez. Call them, send emails. Without a doubt, Ellison is better both for the organization and strategy of the party, and Buttigieg hits some of those marks as well. Perez is nothing but an establishment "safe" choice that won't do anything to actually change the party.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #676 on: February 14, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

If Perez is nominated for DNC chair, it's pretty obvious that any real change in the Democratic Party is going to have to come up from the bottom-up, not starting at the national level.

This is honestly sad, though. Instead of realizing where the real energy is and trying to capture that, the DNC would rather sink their heels in further and clutch on to the same ideas that have failed them the last 20 years.

that may be a good thing, if it comes down to it. Democrats need to be re-built from the bottom-up, and one way to do that is to stop putting faith in national contenders to do their job.

I don't know how that's going to happen.  Democrats can't force the party to stop letting 400+ rich fcks decide on their chair.  If the establishment is this committed to maintaining business as usual, then anything short of a serious Demexit in favor of the Greens or whatever is not going to force their hand.

If they choose Perez, I am done defending this class. I hope Sanders rips the party apart because they never learn.

What a baby.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #677 on: February 14, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »

x-posting: Turning a contest between two fairly mainstream liberal progressives into some kind of proxy war still seems like one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #678 on: February 14, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »

If they choose Perez, I am done defending this class. I hope Sanders rips the party apart because they never learn.
What a baby.

If you really think Perez is somehow gonna be the "unifier" in the race, you're a moron. And the progressives who are mad about his candidacy HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE MAD.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #679 on: February 14, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »

x-posting: Turning a contest between two fairly mainstream liberal progressives into some kind of proxy war still seems like one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Its moronic, Perez and Ellison are almost identical on paper.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #680 on: February 14, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »

Are you f**king kidding me?! Literally all the tops of the party from Chuck, Bernie, Nancy want Keith

I don't trust Pelosi or Schumer, and Obama, Biden, and the Clintons want Perez.

Just like Bernie and Hillary supposedly were? Yeah, we're sick of being told how progressive terrible 3rd wayers are.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #681 on: February 14, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »

Team Ellison not really denying the number, FWIW.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #682 on: February 14, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »

What a baby.

If you really think Perez is somehow gonna be the "unifier" in the race, you're a moron. And the progressives who are mad about his candidacy HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE MAD.

The DNC chair election gets very little fanfare because it means practically nothing for the direction of the party. Just because everyone has convinced themselves that this one is somehow diffrent doesnt mean it is and to divide the party over it is just stupid, especially since both leading candidates are nearly identical policy wise.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #683 on: February 14, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »

Small note, I decided to add a poll now that the election is less than two weeks away.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #684 on: February 14, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »

Are you f**king kidding me?! Literally all the tops of the party from Chuck, Bernie, Nancy want Keith

Just like Bernie and Hillary supposedly were? Yeah, we're sick of being told how progressive terrible 3rd wayers are.

When your candiate wins a majority of the vote in the primaries, it wont be an issue, will it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #685 on: February 14, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »

When your candiate wins a majority of the vote in the primaries, it wont be an issue, will it?

When your candidate doesn't have the party rig things for her, it won't be an issue, will it?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #686 on: February 14, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »

Oh, piss off. It's like you're still living in June of 2016 when it was inevitable that Hillary would win against Dangerous Donald.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #687 on: February 14, 2017, 06:03:42 PM »

Quoting for future reference. If Ellison is the chair, Ds will suffer. Call me stupid if you want, but I really don't see how putting a anti-Semitic 9-11 truther as party leader is going to do any good. And that's what Ellison is, whether you want to believe it or not.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #688 on: February 14, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »

When your candidate doesn't have the party rig things for her, it won't be an issue, will it?

There was no actual "rigging". People voted overwhelmingly for Hillary in the primary, no matter how much you want to ignore it.  
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #689 on: February 14, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »

Quoting for future reference. If Ellison is the chair, Ds will suffer. Call me stupid if you want, but I really don't see how putting a anti-Semitic 9-11 truther as party leader is going to do any good. And that's what Ellison is, whether you want to believe it or not.

We already know your skull is full of rocks.  You don't need to keep bragging about it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #690 on: February 14, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »

For the record, Buckley would probably be my first preference, with Ellison in second, Buttigieg in third, and Perez in fourth. The rest are embarrassing clowns who have no business running for dog catcher.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #691 on: February 14, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »

Wulfric try reading over your posts at least once before posting, and then maybe they wouldn't sound so stupid.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #692 on: February 14, 2017, 06:10:09 PM »

Oh, piss off. It's like you're still living in June of 2016 when it was inevitable that Hillary would win against Dangerous Donald.

My point was, Democrats are still a big tent party. While we are slowly moving to the left, the center should not be ignored. And splitting up the party when the moderate faction wins is childish.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #693 on: February 14, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »

There was no actual "rigging". People voted overwhelmingly for Hillary in the primary, no matter how much you want to ignore it.  

The first debate was held after the deadline to change parties in NY. There was that whole baloney "datagate" scandal. And the e-mails prove that the DNC was all in the tank for Hillary.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #694 on: February 14, 2017, 06:14:07 PM »

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #695 on: February 14, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »

It is possible that Team Perez is being misleading on their numbers, but Team Ellison's reaction probably indicates that they have below 180 locked up. My super rough guess at the first ballot is something like Perez 190, Ellison 173, Buckley 40, Buttigieg 35, Other 9.
Trapsy

« Reply #696 on: February 14, 2017, 06:17:56 PM »

What a baby.

Look, I have nothing against Perez but its just annoying as f to see forces in our party just aligned behind one person just because a small group of people said so. We need new influences in the party and just relying on the same old playbook is gonna cost us, its already costing big time.  
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #697 on: February 14, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »

There's another factor to consider here. Even if Perez does have 180 votes, as he claims, is he going to be able to pick up another 44 votes needed for a majority? That is only 40% after all, and I would think that the establishment people that would support him are already supporting him. Most of the other voters are probably either uncommitted, or with Buckley or Buttigieg. If Buckley throws his support to Ellison, that could be enough, or make Buttigieg the kingmaker. It depends on how strong the Tier 2 candidates are.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #698 on: February 14, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »

WaPo: 2-man race. Harrison and Buckley have at least double-digit support, Buttigieg has won good reviews & is a popular 2nd-tier choice but is not in serious contention.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #699 on: February 14, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »

Look, I have nothing against Perez but its just annoying as f to see forces in our party just aligned behind one person just because a small group of people said so. We need new influences in the party and just relying on the same old playbook is gonna cost us, its already costing big time.  

Will they for sure though? I see wide acknowledgement that the party needs to focus more on building up support in rural areas along with more of a focus on organizing and connecting with voters, so I think it's disingenuous to say there will be no change in strategy.

From what I can tell the assumption is that because certain actors from the wing of the party we want to move past are backing Perez, then the thinking is by default that he will make sure nothing changes, which I think is bogus, but ok. Perez isn't some neoliberal hack - at least give him a chance if he wins.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies