The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:50:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106634 times)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: February 14, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »

There's some irony in that the most action the Democratic Party has taken regarding Muslims is trying to prevent one from becoming DNC chair.

This is a bad take and you know it.

It's edgy and memorable, who cares if it's completely wrong?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #726 on: February 14, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »

As others have said, most of the issue isn't with Perez himself. It's that many Democrats in power want him simply because they don't want Ellison. I don't think he'd be a disaster at all, but I think it would signify that the "corporate" wing of the Democratic Party is still the one that gets to call the shots and get their choice of candidate.

This. I have no problem with Perez and political positions are mostly irrelevant for DNC Chair. It's the fact that Perez is very clearly the candidate favored by the people holding the Democrats back.

Exactly. Everyone knows Ellison and Perez are ideologically very similar and both political progressives. The problem with choosing Perez is what it signals to the Sanders wing of the party, which is that the establishment that helped support Clinton during the primary and is friendly with corporate donors still retains their position of power. Ellison would shift the party towards grassroots mobilization and tap into the populist fury, whereas Perez would likely take a less populist and more donor oriented approach to party politics. Before I could be happy with Perez as DNC chairperson I'd need to know what his position will be regarding the influence of donors and corporate money on the party.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #727 on: February 14, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »

There's some irony in that the most action the Democratic Party has taken regarding Muslims is trying to prevent one from becoming DNC chair.

This is a bad take and you know it.

It's exaggeration for humorous effect.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #728 on: February 14, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »

Harrison is also the ex-Dem chairman for South Carolina, the Dem party that nominated Alvin Greene for Senate, so Harrison is a joke. Buckley is awesome though and has done a good job in New Hampshire.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #729 on: February 14, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »

Harrison is also the ex-Dem chairman for South Carolina, the Dem party that nominated Alvin Greene for Senate, so Harrison is a joke. Buckley is awesome though and has done a good job in New Hampshire.
Wikipedia says it was Carol Fowler, which makes sense, since Harrison only became chair in 2013. (A position he still holds.)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #730 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »

Since this is basically a (dumb) 2016 primary proxi-war, can someone please explain to me how tf theDNC supposedly rigged the primary for Clinton?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #731 on: February 14, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

x-posting: Turning a contest between two fairly mainstream liberal progressives into some kind of proxy war still seems like one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

This
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #732 on: February 14, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »

Since this is basically a (dumb) 2016 primary proxi-war, can someone please explain to me how tf theDNC supposedly rigged the primary for Clinton?

-It didn't set age or race limits to voting, presumably, or make every state run caucuses.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #733 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »

Perez and Ellison literally agree on everything, why the doom and gloom?

Because one endorsed Sanders and the other endorsed Clinton.

Since Perez endorsed Clinton, he is a moral black hole of a human being with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

He's a pro TPP hack who never got elected to anything and told the Hillary campaign to use divisive identity politics against the Bernie people.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #734 on: February 14, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »

This stupid fight has caused me to shift my support to Pete Buttigieg.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #735 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:42 PM »

I think my biggest concern about Perez being DNC chair is that Democrats basically have the perfect opportunity to retake the House, along with several governorships and state legislatures, in 2018 if they provide an alternative left-wing agenda while lambasting the madness going on in Washington right now with the Trump administration and EVERY Republican in power. Regardless of politics, Ellison is objectively (and has PROVEN to be) a much better organizer than Perez, and someone who could easily harness this energy. Yet Perez is obviously being pushed by Obama and Clinton leftovers who don't want to give him the spot because it would somehow be making a concession to the evil BernieBro-in-chief.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #736 on: February 14, 2017, 11:57:23 PM »

Perez and Ellison literally agree on everything, why the doom and gloom?

Because one endorsed Sanders and the other endorsed Clinton.

Since Perez endorsed Clinton, he is a moral black hole of a human being with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Listen I like Perez but choosing him over Keith will be a f**king disater. The party needs unity and the Bernie eing will bolt if Keith loses to someone who supports Tpp

I hate that the only convincing argument against Perez is that the Bernie fanatics will throw a temper tantrum if he wins

Ugh another one of these idiots? Please go become a Republican, your destroying the party.

I voted for Sanders. F-ck the lunatics that are dragging the name of one of Maryland's best politicians through the mud because of this proxy war bullsh**t.

Obviously he's not that good of a politicaian if he's getting all this blowback by his own party. Also I can tell you are in your establishment bubble so I'll pop it for you. Progressives are fighting these politicians because they take coporate cash, they don't want this practice in the party anymore, as well as most Americans. They want transparency and accountability for how they could raise all this money and lose to a complete moron. Be my guest and fight against the majority of Americans but you will lose, everytime.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #737 on: February 15, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »

Harrison may not be a serious candidate, but he still apparently has more than 10 DNC members backing him, which could be pretty important on a 2nd or 3rd ballot.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #738 on: February 15, 2017, 12:08:10 AM »

I still have yet to see an explanation for why Perez jumped in in the first place. What did he see that was wrong with Ellison? If they're so similar, why should Ellison's supporters have to bend the knee?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #739 on: February 15, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »

Seriously it so damn frustrating right now Keith should be the DNC chair an Tim Ryan minority leader as the two faces of the party taking on Trump who if doesn't do irreversible damage to our democracy or cause the end of the world will be a godsend to the dems
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #740 on: February 15, 2017, 12:22:48 AM »

I still have yet to see an explanation for why Perez jumped in in the first place. What did he see that was wrong with Ellison? If they're so similar, why should Ellison's supporters have to bend the knee?

As much as I miss Obama, he did very little in the way of party building, and should have stayed out of this race. When Ellison entered, the first thing the people Obamaworld did was to start looking for an alternative challenger. I don't blame Perez, just the powers backing him. This goes beyond ideology and who is more progressive. It goes back to the themes of one side of the party telling the other that they know better. That they should stop, sit down, and let them take care of it, when it's under their watch that we got into this mess.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #741 on: February 15, 2017, 12:27:20 AM »

Because the establishment wanted him
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #742 on: February 15, 2017, 12:36:26 AM »

The same reason all straight, ambitious men would seek such a ceremonial post - a thirst for power of dangerous levels.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #743 on: February 15, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »

Ellison apparently discussing with Ray Buckley about a DNC leadership role in exchange for support in the race.
https://www.twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/831694983849734144
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #744 on: February 15, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »

Sam Ronan is the only worthwhile pick in this field.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #745 on: February 15, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »

Sam Ronan is pretty conservative in many issues from guns to being fiscally conservative, argues for something like a flat tax & not too much taxes on the wealthy. The guy is young, fresh, vote for Bernie &  a good guy.

But Ellison is by far the best guy, he has to play nice because the votes are made by DNC members including lobbyists, consultants & Hillary people! I am sure if he gets elected, he will be a strong progressive DNC Chairman!
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #746 on: February 15, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »

Sam Ronan is the only worthwhile pick in this field.

He's a guy who lost his only election by over 55points and hasn't proposed any specific solutions
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #747 on: February 15, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »

For Democrats who wanna know where the energy is at.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #748 on: February 15, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »

Ellison apparently discussing with Ray Buckley about a DNC leadership role in exchange for support in the race.
https://www.twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/831694983849734144

Smart. Buckley would probably help teach Ellison some ins and outs of the day to day side
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #749 on: February 15, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »

It's only smart if Buckley has any actual support.

Tangential: Tim Ryan just endorsed Jaime Harrison for DNC Chair on his Facebook. Which seems odd.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies