The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:44:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106191 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: February 16, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »

The first 3 are just academic achievements, not political ones, and the 5th one is a talking point and not a real argument

Hence the only one I highlighted was #4:
4)  In addition to serving a stint in Afghanistan, he Was elected Mayor of his home town of South Bend at age 29 (the youngest 100k+ population mayor at the time) ... and has more than succeeded in completely Turning around a failing midwestern City (one of the best turnaround city stories in the country)...and with the highest ethics & transparency (all of the cities finances are completely available to the public online)...  

.... He is one of the very few mayors in the US who has succeeded at such a task in the past 5 years.

His accomplishments as mayor don't matter at all for DNC chair.

Buttigieg Completely Turning around a failing mid sized midwestern city (the turn around is almost solely attributable to his plan)... is more relevant to the executive function of the DNC chair ... than is a congressman.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #776 on: February 16, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »

I support Ellison, but screw the hacks, I think Perez would do a fine job too, as long as the Bernie bros don't throw a hissy fit and refuse to turn out to vote in the midterms just because they couldn't get their way.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #777 on: February 16, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »

I support Ellison, but screw the hacks, I think Perez would do a fine job too, as long as the Bernie bros don't throw a hissy fit and refuse to turn out to vote in the midterms just because they couldn't get their way.

But we need more than their vote. We need their enthusiasm, influence, social media presence, everything. Btw, these people are not "Bernie bros".
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #778 on: February 16, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »

Can we please stop calling them "BernieBros" and call them what they actually are, "supporters"? It's honestly so disrespectful to hear this from fellow Democrats who talk all they want about "party unity" yet jump at the opportunity to ridicule the left.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #779 on: February 16, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

I think I've come around to Buttigieg being my preferred choice
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #780 on: February 16, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2017, 06:53:19 PM by Ronnie »

Can we please stop calling them "BernieBros" and call them what they actually are, "supporters"? It's honestly so disrespectful to hear this from fellow Democrats who talk all they want about "party unity" yet jump at the opportunity to ridicule the left.

In my case, it's less ridicule, and more frustration towards those who would rather allow the Republicans stay in power just because they aren't willing to give an inch on policy and on representation to the centrist wing.  As I said, I do hope Ellison wins, but I think it's equally important that those on the left realize that we have to be unified if we don't want the country to be shaped in the image of Trump and his base.  

Beyond that, I think Perez deserves a chance if he wins.  He's evidently a competent and open-minded person, and I think he could be a positive contribution to the party.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #781 on: February 16, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »

In my case, it's less ridicule, and more frustration towards those who would rather allow the Republicans stay in power just because they aren't willing to give an inch on policy and on representation to the centrist wing.  As I said, I do hope Ellison wins, but I think it's equally important that those on the left realize that we have to be unified if we don't want the country to be shaped in the image of Trump and his base.  

Beyond that, I think Perez deserves a chance if he wins.  He's evidently a competent and open-minded person, and I think he could be a positive contribution to the party.

There's a difference between "we need to be unified" and "we need to present an entirely centrist vision of our party". Right now it feels like the only power progressives have is the voting base and not any of the institutions.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #782 on: February 16, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »

There's a difference between "we need to be unified" and "we need to present an entirely centrist vision of our party". Right now it feels like the only power progressives have is the voting base and not any of the institutions.

This is because progressives are naturally inept at organizing and wielding the reins of power in institutions. It's a very common and universal phenomenon in American politics: the Right organizes, unites and controls; the Left splinters, divides and whines.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #783 on: February 16, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »

This is because progressives are naturally inept at organizing and wielding the reins of power in institutions. It's a very common and universal phenomenon in American politics: the Right organizes, unites and controls; the Left splinters, divides and whines.

Do you have a vote Adam?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #784 on: February 16, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »

I do admit it's already frustrating Tim Ryan lost let alone if Perez wins. Tim and Keith together as top party heads would be a fantastic step forward toward 2020
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #785 on: February 16, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »

I'm calling racism if Ellison loses. Identity politics and all that jazz.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #786 on: February 16, 2017, 10:56:21 PM »

Nomiki Konst has done a phenomenal job reporting from the various DNC conferences and she nails it in this interview with a Nebraska Democrat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSsSRJHisQg

She explains that this is not a Bernie vs Hillary thing like some naive (I hope) Hillary people here seem to think it is.  This is about whether the DNC will remain a money racketeering operation, where money is being raised, supposedly to fight for progressive issues, and then the money goes directly to the consultants.  These consulting firms want to remain in control of where the money goes (in their pockets) and they're not going to let an outsider like Keith Ellison, or Buckley, or Buttigieg, or the young lady from Idaho come in and decide that the money needs to go elsewhere.  Decision Strategies, a consulting firm which has a lucrative contract with the DNC, has endorsed Perez for this exact reason.  Perez wouldn't have entered the race if these consulting firms didn't feel threatened.

So Democrats, if you want to keep losing elections, while Washington DC consultants keep getting richer, support Tom Perez.
Honestly if it was up to me, I would make Nomiki Konst the chair of the DNC, because she clearly knows what the problem is.

SCNCmod

« Reply #787 on: February 16, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2017, 12:04:01 AM by SCNCmod »

But we need more than their vote. We need their enthusiasm, influence, social media presence, everything. Btw, these people are not "Bernie bros".

I think Buttigieg is best choice..... But its pretty sad if either "side" of the Dem Party... loses enthusiasm, influence, etc in mid terms... just because  their preferred candidate doesn't get DNC Chair.

After all... even moderate dem support probably 80% of the policies that Progressives support.  Trump maybe supports 10% of policies progressives support.  So worst case scenario- would you want 80% or 10%.
SCNCmod

« Reply #788 on: February 16, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »

If you look at a spectrum... Progressives are the furthest away from the majority of the country (as are the far right)... so it is a bit natural that neither of these 2 sides is ever going to get everything they want. But sometimes I feel like progressives want all or nothing (or think a politician should support all of their positions... or they are a total sell out).

Don't get me wrong- I agree with many if not most of the Progressive policy stances... But I consider myself more moderate sometimes... almost solely because I'm not willing to demonize a Dem politician who has a more moderate stance on a few issues.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #789 on: February 17, 2017, 12:38:58 AM »

8 of the 10 Senators to endorse Ellison endorsed Hillary in the primary.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #790 on: February 17, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »

If you look at a spectrum... Progressives are the furthest away from the majority of the country (as are the far right)... so it is a bit natural that neither of these 2 sides is ever going to get everything they want. But sometimes I feel like progressives want all or nothing (or think a politician should support all of their positions... or they are a total sell out).

Don't get me wrong- I agree with many if not most of the Progressive policy stances... But I consider myself more moderate sometimes... almost solely because I'm not willing to demonize a Dem politician who has a more moderate stance on a few issues.

If you look at policy polling numbers, you'll find that this is patently untrue. When presented with policy options from a living wage to Medicare for all, vast majorities of the population support the progressive option.
SCNCmod

« Reply #791 on: February 17, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »

If you look at policy polling numbers, you'll find that this is patently untrue. When presented with policy options from a living wage to Medicare for all, vast majorities of the population support the progressive option.

I think that's definitely true among Dems (which is why I said Progressives and Moderates agree on 80% of policy).  I don't trust numbers that attribute many republican with similar views... Most Republicans I've every know... Don't like Hillary's views- But thought Bernie's policies were a total joke (of course this is likely more so the case in the South East)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #792 on: February 17, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »

SEIU has endorsed Ellison
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #793 on: February 17, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »

SEIU, UAW, AFL-CIO, Teamsters, NEA and United Steelworkers have all endorsed Ellison. Perez becoming DNC chair would be a massive repudiation of labor by the Democrats.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #794 on: February 17, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »

Is this a good time to remind everyone that acceptable-to-wealthy-donors Tom Perez was recruited into the race not long after one of the Democratic Party's wealthiest donors of all began smearing Ellison as a rabid anti-Semite? (because a black Muslim obviously would hate Jews amirite)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #795 on: February 17, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »

SEIU, UAW, AFL-CIO, Teamsters, NEA and United Steelworkers have all endorsed Ellison. Perez becoming DNC chair would be a massive repudiation of labor by the Democrats.

There have been some Labor Unions to endorse Perez, but it is true that the major ones are backing Ellison.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #796 on: February 17, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »

Another big union endorsement for Ellison:

SCNCmod

« Reply #797 on: February 17, 2017, 03:41:47 PM »

With the vote being secret ballot... I wonder how much effect indorsement will really have this year... when members are more likely to think long and hard about who is best to help lay the frame work to take back congress and the presidency, etc. (whether that Ellison or not)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #798 on: February 17, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »

With the vote being secret ballot... I wonder how much effect indorsement will really have this year... when members are more likely to think long and hard about who is best to help lay the frame work to take back congress and the presidency, etc. (whether that Ellison or not)

Who are you supporting?  I'm just curious...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #799 on: February 17, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »

Most of the Senators who supported Hillary in the primary who have endorsed someone in this race have endorsed Keith Ellison. Clearly the other candidates don't have enough support from Senators who endorsed Hillary in the primary. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies