The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 105688 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: February 23, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »

While I agree it's disappointing that it looks like Ellison or Buttigieg won't win, I think people are overrating the actual power the DNC head has.

Why now, does everyone care about a position that has meant very little in the past? Why place more meaning into this then there needs to be? Everyone is just going to end up being disappointed when the essences of the party establishment chooses the establishment candidate. If the Sanders wing is the future, they will take over the party in due time anyway.

Ask yourself this: If you were happy with DWS as DNC chair, and wanted her policies to continue, who would you be supporting?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #951 on: February 23, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »

While I agree it's disappointing that it looks like Ellison or Buttigieg won't win, I think people are overrating the actual power the DNC head has.

Why now, does everyone care about a position that has meant very little in the past? Why place more meaning into this then there needs to be? Everyone is just going to end up being disappointed when the essences of the party establishment chooses the establishment candidate. If the Sanders wing is the future, they will take over the party in due time anyway.

Ask yourself this: If you were happy with DWS as DNC chair, and wanted her policies to continue, who would you be supporting?

No one was happy with DWS or her policies after the midterms.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #952 on: February 23, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2017, 04:21:08 PM by Maxwell »

but they kept her at the helm until it was literally unsustainable.

few humans approved of DWS, but it seems like the Democrats were willing to keep her on until she made the leave herself.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #953 on: February 23, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »

but they kept her at the helm until it was literally unsustainable.

Im sure there was pressure for her to step down. Its too bad she never got the hint. Even the Clintons wanted her gone.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #954 on: February 23, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »

Obviously somebody was, because she stayed around until she was completely toxic. She had a lot of support in the donor class, and that's who is lined behind Perez right now.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #955 on: February 23, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »

I thought the rule with campaign finance is that everyone is in favour of reform/against dark money etc until it's coming in your campaign account
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #956 on: February 23, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »

MSNBC's Chuck Todd is covering the DNC race an April Ryan said her sources say Perez has it locked up. God f**king dammit
Babeuf

« Reply #957 on: February 23, 2017, 06:02:23 PM »

Picking Perez is such a self-inflicted wound. The DNC voters had the chance to throw a bone to the Sanders wing and make them feel included in the party without much downside, and instead they choose to antagonize them. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #958 on: February 23, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »

Thanks Obama >(
Fusionmunster

« Reply #959 on: February 23, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »

Good thing this is happening over a year before the mid-terms so no one will remember.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #960 on: February 23, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »

Yes, picking Perez is an insult to the progressive wing, and yes, they have a right to be mad about it. However, it's not like Perez is some Third Way hack. Looking at his own ideology and ideas for the party suggest a decent amount of overlap with Ellison. I think it would unfair to say his strategy be a failure right off the bat. At least reserve ultimate judgement for 2018 and 2020.

That being said, parties are not changed overnight. The Bernie wing has made good progress so far. People who have a hold on the party right now aren't going to be inclined to just hand it over without a fight, but at this point I think it's clear that the old guard is on its way out. The next 4 years should be a relatively productive time if the energy we are seeing is directed appropriately. A bad idea would be for progressives to get upset at losing this spot this time and reviving the typical, time-tested quixotic liberal ideas of a new party or otherwise working against the Democratic Party rather than from within, where actual progress can and is being made.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #961 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »

I don't hate Tom an 9/10 him being the DNC chair would be fine but he offered no real ideas for party building like Keith and this will needlessly piss off the Bernie wing
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #962 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »

I'm saddened that Ellison will lose, but as I said before, I'm willing to give Perez a chance.  He has struck me during the campaign as a smart, level-headed guy, and might do a good job.  If he does turn out to be Wasserman-Shultz 2.0, then that just means grassroots organizations will have to do more work to mobilize the base.  While this is a setback, in the end, I think bottom-up resistance to Trump matters more than the DNC bureaucracy.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #963 on: February 23, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »

Jesus Christ.

You know if you wanted to try and kneecap the Bernie wing then appointing Perez is the wrong move. You're just gonna rile them up even more.

This. I'm a Hillary supporter. But, like her, I'm pragmatic. Perez winning will make the Bernie supporters even more insufferable.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #964 on: February 23, 2017, 06:51:37 PM »

Just came to post this.

At first I thought Ellison would win hands down; but looks like Perez has it sealed. (feel free to quote this next week) As always internal elections are actually more interesting to see who's backing who- Dean/Rendell backing Buttigieg for example

If Perez wins this, I'll be genuinely infuriated. I will never register as a Democrat if their administration continues with these stupid games.

If you guys (stuanch Ellison supporters) want to be treated like grown ups, you're gonna have to start acting the part.  You're so emotionally invested in a largely meaningless race between very similar candidates that you're threatening to throw a pointless temper-tantrum if your generic progressive Democrat loses to another generic progressive Democrat.  Parties don't change overnight and change comes from the bottom up (we're already seeing some early signs).  I don't mean to single you out, Arch.  You're generally a decent enough poster, but posts like the one you just made give Berniecrats a bad name.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #965 on: February 23, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2017, 07:02:46 PM by Chickenhawk »

Just came to post this.

At first I thought Ellison would win hands down; but looks like Perez has it sealed. (feel free to quote this next week) As always internal elections are actually more interesting to see who's backing who- Dean/Rendell backing Buttigieg for example

If Perez wins this, I'll be genuinely infuriated. I will never register as a Democrat if their administration continues with these stupid games.

If you guys (stuanch Ellison supporters) want to be treated like grown ups, you're gonna have to start acting the part.  You're so emotionally invested in a largely meaningless race between very similar candidates that you're threatening to throw a pointless temper-tantrum if your generic progressive Democrat loses to another generic progressive Democrat.  Parties don't change overnight and change comes from the bottom up (we're already seeing some early signs).  I don't mean to single you out, Arch.  You're generally a decent enough poster, but posts like the one you just made give Berniecrats a bad name.

Parties don't change overnight, but they also don't change by playing nice.

I view Ellison v Perez as how willing the Establishment is to play ball. This isn't about policies (with the exception of shilling for TPP out of loyalty to Pres. Obama, Perez is Okay) it's purely factional.

If Ellison loses, it means that we (meaning the prog/populist wing) are going to have to end the Democratic careers of the other side if we ever want the Democratic Party to succeed.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #966 on: February 23, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2017, 07:07:37 PM by Fearless Leader X »

Just came to post this.

I view Ellison v Perez as how willing the Establishment is to play ball. This isn't about policies (with the exception of shilling for TPP out of loyalty to Pres. Obama, Perez is Okay) it's purely factional.

If Ellison loses, it means that we're going to have to end the Democratic careers of the other side if we ever want the Democratic Party to succeed.

I want to see the Sanders-wing prevail too; I consider myself part of it Tongue  However, the path to victory is taking over state parties and running strong progressive candidates in local/city races in places like Boston, Cleveland, Chicago, NYC, etc, etc.  The city machines need to be taken away from the third way hacks and corporate shills first.  Until we do that, we're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves.  Sometimes it is okay to compromise too and Perez really is a lot better than a McAulliffe-type or a DWS-level idiot.  Would Dean or Buttigieg be better?  Sure.  Alas, you can't always get what you want Sad
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #967 on: February 23, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »

Just came to post this.

If Ellison loses, it means that we're going to have to end the Democratic careers of the other side if we ever want the Democratic Party to succeed.

I want to see the Sanders-wing prevail too; I consider myself part of it Tongue  However, the path to victory is taking over state parties and running strong progressive candidates in local/city races in places like Boston, Cleveland, Chicago, NYC, etc, etc.  The city machines need to be taken away from the third way hacks and corporate shills first.  Until we do that, we're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves.  Sometimes it is okay to compromise too and Perez really is a lot better than a McAulliffe-type or a DWS-level idiot.  Would Dean or Buttigieg be better?  Sure.  Alas, you can't always get what you want Sad

The thing is that Perez ran specifically because the consulting firms that are the main recipients of donations to the DNC, don't want to lose their access to all that money.  As someone else said earlier, Perez will make sure all the money will remain in the Washington bubble and the Nebraska or the Utah Democratic party will remain broke and unable to compete with Republicans (because who cares about winning elections, right?).  Electing Perez, a guy who pretty much is responsible for slandering a beloved figure on the left like Bernie Sanders during the primaries, and has shown no intention of making the party more inclusive, is like shooting yourself in the head.  But the DNC members who will vote for him don't give a sh*t as long as they have access to power.
If there's something that's bothering Berniecrats is the corruption in the Democratic Party, and I don't understand why some people who are not on our side don't see this.  Maybe they're getting paid by Brock?  Who knows...
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #968 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »

Just came to post this.

I want to see the Sanders-wing prevail too; I consider myself part of it Tongue  However, the path to victory is taking over state parties and running strong progressive candidates in local/city races in places like Boston, Cleveland, Chicago, NYC, etc, etc.  The city machines need to be taken away from the third way hacks and corporate shills first.  Until we do that, we're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves.  Sometimes it is okay to compromise too and Perez really is a lot better than a McAulliffe-type or a DWS-level idiot.  Would Dean or Buttgieg be better?  Sure.  Alas, you can't always get what you want Sad

Sure. But being magnanimous every time we lose is what's kept us at the bottom of the pecking order  since what, Bradley challenged Gore?

I liked to think there was a chance that the DNC would have learned the error of its ways after November. As little faith as I had in them to begin with, it really would be better for everyone concerned if the Bernie win didn't have to fight its way, inch by inch, county by county, into control. It would be better for everyone if the establishment would agree to work with the Bernie wing, and take its demands seriously. But then in response to a portion of the establishment getting a clue, they decided to put up a candidate whose qualifications appear to be raising 200k in his political career, his policy portfolio, and his loyalty to the outgoing President. It would have been really nice for cooperation to work.

I mean, it's great that he's not DWS. But I don't want the Establishment picking a candidate amenable to both sides from a policy perspective - I want our faction to have a turn at the wheel.  

As for Indies who have no faith in the party like Arch... I frankly can't blame them. I know that the Democratic party is the only electoral option, but damn. We have a unique talent at shooting ourselves in the foot.  
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #969 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »

Just came to post this.

The thing is that Perez ran specifically because the consulting firms that are the main recipients of donations to the DNC, don't want to lose their access to all that money.  As someone else said earlier, Perez will make sure all the money will remain in the Washington bubble and the Nebraska or the Utah Democratic party will remain broke and unable to compete with Republicans (because who cares about winning elections, right?).  Electing Perez, a guy who pretty much is responsible for slandering a beloved figure on the left like Bernie Sanders during the primaries, and has shown no intention of making the party more inclusive, is like shooting yourself in the head.  But the DNC members who will vote for him don't give a sh*t as long as they have access to power.
If there's something that's bothering Berniecrats is the corruption in the Democratic Party, and I don't understand why some people who are not on our side don't see this.  Maybe they're getting paid by Brock?  Who knows...
Actually.... Perez was in Utah a couple of days ago and specifically said he'd send more money and would fund campaign training for Utah Democrats. And he specifically covered gerrymandering in an interview as well.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #970 on: February 23, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »

Just came to post this.

Actually.... Perez was in Utah a couple of days ago and specifically said he'd send more money and would fund campaign training for Utah Democrats. And he specifically covered gerrymandering in an interview as well.

I mean, everyone is saying they're going to give money to the states. Because the states are the electorate. Once he's in office...? Who knows.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #971 on: February 23, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »

According to Nomiki Konst, Jennifer O'Malley Dillon, the co-founder of Precision Strategies, a consulting firm with a huge contract with the DNC is making calls to DNC members, asking them to vote for Perez.  I'm mentioning it, just so that everyone knows who Perez is working for.

Watch the entire video to understand what is really going on behind the scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okSpEXZYOys
Fusionmunster

« Reply #972 on: February 23, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »

According to Nomiki Konst, Jennifer O'Malley Dillon, the co-founder of Precision Strategies, a consulting firm with a huge contract with the DNC is making calls to DNC members, asking them to vote for Perez.  I'm mentioning it, just so that everyone knows who Perez is working for.

Its good politics.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #973 on: February 23, 2017, 07:49:57 PM »

Just came to post this.

I hope you're not so naive to believe that.  Unless of course you haven't been paying attention to how the party has operated under the leadership of Obama and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #974 on: February 23, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »

Its good politics.

Losing over 1,000 seats is good politics?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies