The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:39:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106916 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: November 12, 2016, 05:04:19 PM »

Please let it be Ellison.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

As others have said, most of the issue isn't with Perez himself. It's that many Democrats in power want him simply because they don't want Ellison. I don't think he'd be a disaster at all, but I think it would signify that the "corporate" wing of the Democratic Party is still the one that gets to call the shots and get their choice of candidate.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 06:47:01 PM »

It seems many Democrats can't discuss differences of opinion or vision for the future of the party without lots of insults. I guess this is yet another reason why we lose elections and can't have nice things.

I'm with Gass in that I supported Sanders and currently support Ellison, but even if Perez becoming chair represents a symbolic victory for the establishment, why is that the end of the world? It's not like Perez is a corporate centrist shill, and it's not like Senators like Sanders will become invisible. Change generally does come from the bottom up, and what's far more important that who becomes the chair of the DNC is who shows up to vote in 2017 and 2018.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »

It seems many Democrats can't discuss differences of opinion or vision for the future of the party without lots of insults. I guess this is yet another reason why we lose elections and can't have nice things.

I'm with Gass in that I supported Sanders and currently support Ellison, but even if Perez becoming chair represents a symbolic victory for the establishment, why is that the end of the world? It's not like Perez is a corporate centrist shill, and it's not like Senators like Sanders will become invisible. Change generally does come from the bottom up, and what's far more important that who becomes the chair of the DNC is who shows up to vote in 2017 and 2018.

I feel like the Bernie wing of the Democratic party has been fighting tooth and nail every step of the way just to have a voice at the table. It's as if the "old guard" of the DNC is resisting us every step of the way, while at the same time screaming in our faces to "suck it up and stay in line!" Why does the establishment need a symbolic victory? They got to nominate Hillary Clinton, and she lost to Donald Trump of all people. Electing Perez is just going further fracture the party and lead to more of the name calling that you seem to despise.

I keep hearing the canned "every one of these candidates would be a great DNC chair" line. But if we're going to be honest with ourselves we all know that isn't true. You can call the Bernie wing childish and unreasonable for wreaking havoc if Ellison isn't elected, but we all know it's going to happen if he loses. This makes Perez objectively a worse choice for party unity. So why not throw "Bernie bros" a symbolic bone and elect Ellison. Everyone seems to think he'll be a great DNC Chair, so what's the problem?

I have a feeling there is something more nefarious at work here.

I'm not saying that the establishment getting a symbolic victory would be a good thing, or that progressives wouldn't raise a fuss. I'm saying that there are bigger, more important battles, and that Perez might not end up being beholden to the establishment, and might still take the party in a more progressive direction.

I want Ellison to win, and I think it would definitely represent a change in course for the Democratic Party. But the fact is, many Democrats still don't see any reason to even throw a bone to the Bernie wing, since, as they put it, "Bernie lost in a landslide." Progressives have to participate and vote in droves to show the Democratic leaders that they're the future of the party, and can't be ignored.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:21:09 AM »

With Ellison getting a majority of the delegation from Texas, I don't think we can conclude that it's just going to be the primary map all over again. I still have hope that Ellison can pull this out.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »

Anyone have an updated map of the projected support for Ellison/Perez?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »

I think this:

Thanks!

Since I'm guessing Perez will get most of the Southern and Mid-Atlantic delegations, while Ellison will get the Western, most Midwestern, and possibly New England delegations, the state delegations I'm going to be watching for are Illinois, Pennsylvania, and New York.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »

I think this:

Thanks!

Since I'm guessing Perez will get most of the Southern and Mid-Atlantic delegations, while Ellison will get the Western, most Midwestern, and possibly New England delegations, the state delegations I'm going to be watching for are Illinois, Pennsylvania, and New York.

Nothing to watch with it being a secret vote.

D'oh, that's right! Well, it would've been interesting to know how those state delegations will vote.

I think Perez will probably narrowly win, but I'm not giving up hope on Ellison yet.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 02:16:46 PM »

Why do I think things are going to get ugly no matter who wins? Oh, right, maybe because that much is obvious.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »

Interesting that this will go to a second ballot, but Perez definitely has this. I should probably start cleaning my bunker right about now.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »

Even if Ellison manages to win (which is still what I want), it's clear that the divisions in the Democratic Party aren't going away.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »

Well, congrats to Perez, but he's got his work cut out for him. Hopefully he can listen to people in the party more effectively than the old guards, and move the party to the left.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »

I hate to be the "come on, let's give him a chance" guy, but... come on, folks. Perez isn't some centrist corporatist hack. He might prove to be an effective, progressive leader. If he ends up being as tone-deaf as people like DWS, I'll be there to call him out on it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »

I'm concerned about how eager the Sanders wing (again, this is coming from a guy who supported Sanders) is to label anyone who could in any way be associated with the "establishment" as an enemy. If we were talking about someone like Cuomo, the outrage would be justified, in my opinion. But Perez is now our worst enemy? I know progressives who started to hate Warren last year because she didn't endorse Sanders, and endorsed Clinton in June, before Sanders dropped out. Yes, f***ing Warren is a neoliberal corporate shill now. Are Sanders Democrats going to refuse to support someone like Sherrod Brown in 2020, who is obviously progressive, because he's "too close" to the establishment? Will they only go for candidates who piss off the old guards? If that's your only criteria, then get ready for a Democratic Trump to come along. Seriously, some people are worse about the word "establishment" than Wulfric is about the word "socalist."

I think the Democratic Party needs new leadership as much as anyone else. I'm pissed as hell that the old guards drove the party into a lake between 2008 and 2016, and seem 100% tone-deaf. Change needs to occur, but making the "Democratic establishment" your North Star, and then heading to the South Pole isn't the answer. The goal has to be about values and principles, and getting more people involved. Yes, when Democrats do sell out to corporate interests, and present themselves as "Republican lite", by all means, give them hell for it. However, don't label any Democrat supported by Obama or Clinton or an "establishment Democrat" the enemy, even if they share and promote progressive values.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies