The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:53:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106995 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« on: February 25, 2017, 12:07:51 AM »

I haven't posted in this thread yet, but I just wanted to pop in and say I'm pulling for Ellison. The Democrats need to make sure the Bernie wing has some faith in the greater party, which they failed to do in 2016, and it cost them dearly. Even if he doesn't do a great job, I think we have less to lose if a Bernista does badly than if a Clintonite manages to alienate a massive chunk of the party, which I think is what would happen if we put in Perez.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »

Jehmu Greene got 0.5 votes, dropped out an endorsed Perez. Perez 0.5 votes away from victory lol.

He still needs an additional 0.5 votes on top of that. I think you need at least 214.5 to win.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

And who are they going to have in this party that's high-profile enough to beat a Democrat, since they're not getting Sanders, Gabbard, Warren, or Ellison? Are they going to have Kshama Sawant try to primary Maria Cantwell, for example?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »

He's right, they shouldn't leave the party. They need to conquer it, State after State, county after county.

Exactly!Using the same organizing tactics as the tea parties.

Indeed. It worked wonders for the GOP, no reason it won't for us.

That's assuming the state parties don't try to kneecap us, which they certainly will try to.

Well, didn't we just take over California and a few other State parties? I'm sure we can do the same elsewhere.

Except the California Democrats weren't prepared. Watch as the other state parties pass rules to kneecap Bernie supporters. They'd rather lose with the Third Wayer than win with a progressive.

How would they kneecap Bernie supporters? Abolish caucuses? Get out the vote efforts in minority-heavy areas? Yeah, really nefarious stuff. The Bernie wing is a large minority in the party, but a minority nonetheless.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »

He's right, they shouldn't leave the party. They need to conquer it, State after State, county after county.

Exactly!Using the same organizing tactics as the tea parties.

Indeed. It worked wonders for the GOP, no reason it won't for us.

That's assuming the state parties don't try to kneecap us, which they certainly will try to.

Well, didn't we just take over California and a few other State parties? I'm sure we can do the same elsewhere.

Except the California Democrats weren't prepared. Watch as the other state parties pass rules to kneecap Bernie supporters. They'd rather lose with the Third Wayer than win with a progressive.

How would they kneecap Bernie supporters? Abolish caucuses? Get out the vote efforts in minority-heavy areas? Yeah, really nefarious stuff. The Bernie wing is a large minority in the party, but a minority nonetheless.

And you still need this minority as well to win. Currently the "establishment" controls almost all major party posts.

Also, let's dispel with the fiction there's a permanent majority. When Sanders started running, he was believed to end us as an asterix candidate, guess where it came from there already.

I'm all for cooperation between the two wings, but it can't be one-sided.

I guess what I meant about them being the minority is that the honus is theirs to expand their influence within the party, not to blackmail the majority. One leads to them eventually getting the majority in the near future and getting to call the shots for the whole party, the other leads to being shut out of power for possibly several decades.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »

the BS view would be that perez is a dishonest, corporate shill and ellison is an antisemite, radical bigot....

how about we say...both views are wrong and stupid and shouldn't be spread around anymore?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies