The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:30:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106986 times)
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« on: November 12, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »

He sounds good on paper, but what exactly makes him a good fit for DNC chair?

He couldn't even win his senate bid this year.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:16:35 PM »

That's what we need.  A hapless blue dog from a Deep Trump state to alienate the coalition we have while not attracting any of the working class voters we've lost.

Dean is really the only good choice here.

Is he though?

Dean appears washed up to me. Whats wrong with bringing new blood into the DNC like Ellison?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 12:53:29 AM »

Watch this, and if you still support Perez after watching it, you're no progressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ByXdb_E6FM

What a pathetic, stupid, little man.

Is Perez really being backed by the "establishment?"

I thought Ellison had most of the endorsements.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 02:17:53 AM »

With Obama's recent non-veto of an anti-Israel resolution, and the ADL, Alan Dershowitz and Haim Saban's statements, things are getting serious. Jews need reassurance that the Democrats are not going to abandon them.

Huh?

Am I reading too much into this, or are you subtly suggesting that Ellison shouldn't be DNC chair because he's Muslim?

I know that's probably not what you're saying, but I just got that impression from your reply.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »

If Perez wins, then the DNC will have the same cloud of doubt around it as it did in 2016.

Throw Bernie folks a bone to shut them up, give them Ellison or Buttigieg.

Getting Bernie folks to "shut up" really shouldn't be the goal of any Democrat. Ellison is the best choice because both Clinton and Bernie folk can support him without reservations outside of religion.

If Perez does win, then expect a ton of party takeovers at the local level.
Bernie supporters complaining about the DNC, thinking they rigged it, is one of the key reasons why Hillary lost. The DNC become a liability, instead of an invisible support, in 2016.

Seems like your still deluded to how she actually lost.
I didn't say it's the only reason. But it was a big factor.

Trump successfully painted her and Democrats as elitists, in a populist versus elitist narrative. While Hillary lost her educated humanitarian progressive versus ignorant selfish traditionalist narrative.
She also didn't campaign as much in the Midwest, taking it for granted.
They stopped trying to be appealing and persuasive to all people in general.
They took for granted that all the stuff Trump said and did made him unelectable.
The Comey stuff didn't help.
And neither did all the WikiLeaks... which focused on the DNC issue.

You must have been living in an alternate reality, because the picture you just painted is extremely warped.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump didn't have to do much painting because Hillary was already perceived as an elitist before Trump even announced.

She never lost it because that was never the narrative. Only Democrats who were living in a bubble thought this was the narrative.

This is true, but also undersells how incompetent her campaign was on this front. Democrats throughout the midwest were sounding alarm bells early on and pleaded with the Clinton campaign to take Trump more seriously, but they didn't listen. They practically shrugged off Sanders staffers when they voiced concerns about Clintons appeal in the midwest and laughed in their faces when they tried to help.

True, but I'm not sure if that was ever their strategy.

They only reinforced an opinion that many Americans already had about her.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:38 PM »

Perez supports TPP, so of course he's a neoliberal hack.

Not that I don't support Ellison anyway, but I really do hope he wins because if he doesn't, people like you are never going to let it go. We could get a huge wave in 2018, take back the House and a dozen Governors offices, and you'd still be here saying "would have been bigger with Ellison."

And he'd probably be right. All the more reason for Democrats to pick Ellison.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »

It'll be a disaster if Perez is elected. Just elect Ellison, plain and simple.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »

Rep. John Lewis endorses Ellison for DNC Chair.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »

It'll be a travesty if Perez is elected DNC Chair.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »

Weaver and Mook were just on MSNBC discussing the DNC election, and it's scary how out of touch with reality Mook is.

Weaver was pleading the case that the DNC needs to elect Ellison as DNC chair in order to unify the Democratic party. He also said that electing Perez would send the wrong message to progressives, and that it could fracture the Democratic party. Mook, on the other hand, was arguing that the Democratic party was already united and spewed the same canned line that "any of these candidates would be a good pick for DNC Chair."

I'll say it one more time. Electing Perez as DNC chair would be an unmitigated disaster, and it scares me that most Democratic officials can't see this.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »

Weaver and Mook were just on MSNBC discussing the DNC election, and it's scary how out of touch with reality Mook is.

Weaver was pleading the case that the DNC needs to elect Ellison as DNC chair in order to unify the Democratic party. He also said that electing Perez would send the wrong message to progressives, and that it could fracture the Democratic party. Mook, on the other hand, was arguing that the Democratic party was already united and spewed the same canned line that "any of these candidates would be a good pick for DNC Chair."

I'll say it one more time. Electing Perez as DNC chair would be an unmitigated disaster, and it scares me that most Democratic officials can't see this.

Mook is a stiff who lives by data driven campaigns

The dems are going to somehow blow 2018...just watch

I don't doubt it.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »

On a personal level though are any of you Bernie wing afraid that Trump didn't win over TPP but there is a "whitelash" going on an Keith would be made successfully made into a Muslim bogeyman?

I don't buy the "whitelash" theory, so no. We managed to elect a black junior senator from Illinois named Barack Hussein Obama.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

I really love all the damn bern bros bitching in the thread that they aren't going to vote Dem if they don't get what they want.  You want to know who is out of touch and who is being a brat, look in the mirror.

I hope you're enjoying the Trump presidency you handed us.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 05:24:52 PM »

I really love all the damn bern bros bitching in the thread that they aren't going to vote Dem if they don't get what they want.  You want to know who is out of touch and who is being a brat, look in the mirror.

Yeah, this thread is getting stupid.

Dismiss "Bernie bros" at your own peril Democrats. It appears that you've learned nothing from 2016.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 06:04:21 PM by Confused Democrat »

I really love all the damn bern bros bitching in the thread that they aren't going to vote Dem if they don't get what they want.  You want to know who is out of touch and who is being a brat, look in the mirror.

Dismiss "Bernie bros" at your own peril Democrats. It appears that you've learned nothing from 2016.

Dude, I voted for Sanders in the primary and I support Ellison, I still think this thread is stupid.

Good for you, but a lot of people don't feel the same way you do. I don't think calling these people stupid and their ideas stupid is productive.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »

I really love all the damn bern bros bitching in the thread that they aren't going to vote Dem if they don't get what they want.  You want to know who is out of touch and who is being a brat, look in the mirror.

Man you really are acting like a child. Go out like we are and fight the real enemy instead of being some bitter petty asshole all the time. It does nothing for you but bring you pain and dissatisfaction. 

Way to make stupid assumptions about my character.

After Bernie lost, I went out volunteered a ton of my time to help campaign for Hillary Clinton during the general. I'm active within my local Democratic Party, and campaign for local Democrats in my area. I'm doing my part.

It's you and the rest of the DNC who needs to wake up and take a look in the mirror, because what you've been doing clearly hasn't been working. Democratic U.S. Senate seats have fallen from 55 to 46. Our share of the House has plummeted from 256 seats to 194. Republicans still control both chambers. We've lost 958 state legislative seats. Democratic governerships have slipped from 28 to 16. We're losing, and it's not because of "Bernie bros."

JFC.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »

Dude, I voted for Sanders in the primary and I support Ellison, I still think this thread is stupid.

Good for you, but a lot of people don't feel the same way you do. I don't think calling these people stupid and their ideas stupid is not productive.

Tell me who's calling their ideas stupid? I'm with Gass on this one.

If our ideas aren't stupid, why are Democrats resisting us at nearly every turn?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »

Man you really are acting like a child. Go out like we are and fight the real enemy instead of being some bitter petty asshole all the time. It does nothing for you but bring you pain and dissatisfaction. 

After Bernie lost, I went out volunteered a ton of my time to help campaign for Hillary Clinton during the general. I'm active within my local Democratic Party, and campaign for local Democrats in my area. I'm doing my part.

It's you and the rest of the DNC who needs to wake up and take a look in the mirror, because what you've been doing clearly hasn't been working. Democratic U.S. Senate seats have fallen from 55 to 46. Our share of the House has plummeted from 256 seats to 194. Republicans still control both chambers. We've lost 958 state legislative seats. Democratic governerships have slipped from 28 to 16. We're losing, and it's not because of "Bernie bros."

JFC.

Yet instead of trying to fix these things you want to take your ball and go sit in the damn corner.

Don't know how you got that from my post.

I'm about as involved in the Democratic Party as someone my age can get, and yet you think I'm taking my ball and sitting in the damn corner. LOL

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »

JFC.

Yet instead of trying to fix these things you want to take your ball and go sit in the damn corner.

We are trying to fix them. That's what Ellison's candidacy is about!
Ok, but don't be a child and gripe when you lose. Somethings are more important than that.

You know all too well that's exactly what's going to happen if Ellison loses, so why not elect him and avoid it all together?

Stop trying to take the moral high ground.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »

If this really is just a ceremonial position, as I hear so many people here say . . . then why not let Ellison have it? Even if just to throw a bone to the Sanders wing.

Answer: It's not ceremonial. It's a final attempt by Obama to keep control of the Democratic Party.

Bingo!

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 06:46:05 PM by Confused Democrat »

JFC.

We are trying to fix them. That's what Ellison's candidacy is about!
Ok, but don't be a child and gripe when you lose. Somethings are more important than that.

You know all too well that's exactly what's going to happen if Ellison loses, so why not elect him and avoid it all together?

Stop trying to take the moral high ground.
Because adults don't give in to children.  That's why

"Adults" also like to lose elections.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 07:09:31 PM by Confused Democrat »

It seems many Democrats can't discuss differences of opinion or vision for the future of the party without lots of insults. I guess this is yet another reason why we lose elections and can't have nice things.

I'm with Gass in that I supported Sanders and currently support Ellison, but even if Perez becoming chair represents a symbolic victory for the establishment, why is that the end of the world? It's not like Perez is a corporate centrist shill, and it's not like Senators like Sanders will become invisible. Change generally does come from the bottom up, and what's far more important that who becomes the chair of the DNC is who shows up to vote in 2017 and 2018.

I feel like the Bernie wing of the Democratic party has been fighting tooth and nail every step of the way just to have a voice at the table. It's as if the "old guard" of the DNC is resisting us every step of the way, while at the same time screaming in our faces to "suck it up and stay in line!" Why does the establishment need a symbolic victory? They got to nominate Hillary Clinton, and she lost to Donald Trump of all people. Electing Perez is just going further fracture the party and lead to more of the name calling that you seem to despise.

I keep hearing the canned "every one of these candidates would be a great DNC chair" line. But if we're going to be honest with ourselves we all know that isn't true. You can call the Bernie wing childish and unreasonable for wreaking havoc if Ellison isn't elected, but we all know it's going to happen if he loses. This makes Perez objectively a worse choice for party unity. So why not throw "Bernie bros" a symbolic bone and elect Ellison. Everyone seems to think he'll be a great DNC Chair, so what's the problem?

I have a feeling there is something more nefarious at work here.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 07:16:05 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 07:17:52 PM by Confused Democrat »

This is totally ridiculous. Both of the Establishment wing and the Progressive wing need to realize that calling each other out will not form unity. It prolongs the chaos. We're already a "minority party" nationally and in most states.

Perez winning will definitely not be the end of the world. If you are a Sanders Loyalist, don't let it get to you and not participate in anything of Democrats. Sanders Loyalists are already attempting to take over parties in some places w/o the help of anyone.

The Establishment Wing needs to give space for Progressive Wingers a voice within the party. Admit it. We need something fresh in many states in which the GOP has taken advantage. We need to join forces, grow up, and win elections again.

*Also, the DNC race isn't the most important race right now. It's the federal and statewide races for the next couple of years to worry about.

The DNC rigged the primary and then tried to start a new cold war with Russia to distract people when they got busted. The idea that progressives and the 3rd way establishment are somehow on the same team is ridiculous.

I never said that progressives and the establishment were the same team. Stop putting words in my mouth and actually read. I stated that the Establishment should give Progressives a voice. I don't think they should rig either for anyone.

But "Progressives" like you aren't much better when you refuse cooperate. That's one of the reasons why Democrats have been losing elections.

You're delusional if you think "progressives refusing to cooperate" is why Democrats have been losing elections. It is incumbent upon the DNC to put up candidates who can win. And it's the DNC's sense of entitlement to our votes that has lost them elections.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »

This is totally ridiculous. Both of the Establishment wing and the Progressive wing need to realize that calling each other out will not form unity. It prolongs the chaos. We're already a "minority party" nationally and in most states.

Perez winning will definitely not be the end of the world. If you are a Sanders Loyalist, don't let it get to you and not participate in anything of Democrats. Sanders Loyalists are already attempting to take over parties in some places w/o the help of anyone.

The Establishment Wing needs to give space for Progressive Wingers a voice within the party. Admit it. We need something fresh in many states in which the GOP has taken advantage. We need to join forces, grow up, and win elections again.

*Also, the DNC race isn't the most important race right now. It's the federal and statewide races for the next couple of years to worry about.

The DNC rigged the primary and then tried to start a new cold war with Russia to distract people when they got busted. The idea that progressives and the 3rd way establishment are somehow on the same team is ridiculous.

I never said that progressives and the establishment were the same team. Stop putting words in my mouth and actually read. I stated that the Establishment should give Progressives a voice. I don't think they should rig either for anyone.

But "Progressives" like you aren't much better when you refuse cooperate. That's one of the reasons why Democrats have been losing elections.

You're delusional if you think "progressives refusing to cooperate" is why Democrats have been losing elections. It is incumbent upon the DNC to put up candidates who can win. And it's the DNC's sense of entitlement to our votes that has lost them elections.

Why can't you discuss your differences without calling me "delusional?"

Sorry, I can.

It's just that this thread has me a little worked up.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »

Why can't you discuss your differences without calling me "delusional?"

Sorry, I can.

It's just that this thread has me a little worked up.

It's okay. I'm also quite angry that Democrats (Lefties period) can't get along. It definitely is like the 2016 Primary all over again.

To clarify, I didn't mean all Progressives. Just a minority that cause tension within the party. If it cheers you up, I prefer Ellison.

I don't think it's as small of a minority as you might think. If that were the case, we would be winning elections instead of losing them.

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies