The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:49:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 107750 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: February 03, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »

I'm hoping that Ellison wins, not because I feel particularly strongly about him, but because I fear a progressive revolt if they feel like the establishment pulls the rug out from under them again. So long as Ellison is competent for the job, I couldn't care less, I just hope the party leaders don't try and pick fights where they don't need to.

Pretty much my feelings. I like Perez, but he'd do nothing to ease tensions between the factions of the Democratic Party. Unless it's Ellison or Buttigieg, people are going to claim the DNC hasn't learned anything.

Buttigieg isn't really that good, but at least he's not an epic HP like Perez.

Lol

If Perez doesn't win this (and I don't think he will), I hope he runs for Governor in 2018.

Ditto, I think he's the best chance to beat Hogan.
He is probably the most high profile recruit the democrats could wish for. although I would guess he would prefer Cardin's seat if he retires

If Cardin retires, do you think Donna Edwards would run? Though I really like Van Hollen, Edwards always struck me as a fairly talented politician. I see her more as a Senator than gov
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »

Boynton Brown got 12 votes, dropped out, didn't endorse.

Any chance they vote as a bloc for Ellison? The pressure would be on them now
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 02:42:57 PM by LabourJersey »

To put this all in perspective, if you told anyone in 2013 that Keith Ellison would be roughly 15 votes away from being elected DNC Chair, they probably wouldn't believe you.

The party is clearly moving left, and that's still an accomplishment.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »

If we nominate Cuomo, I'll leave the party forever.

Jesus, there is a MASSIVE gap between selecting Tom Perez (who is undoubtably one of the most progressive members in Obama's cabinet) as DNC Chair, and nominating Cuomo (who actively campaigned for republicans) in 2020.

People need to have a little perspective here. Perez is establishment, do doubt, but what it means to be establishment in the 2017 Democratic Party is dramatically different from, say, the 2004 Democratic party.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »

...and Clintonism continues to haunt the Democratic Party even after the 2016 debacle.

Enjoy your losses in 2018 and 2020, Dems, save any major Trump disasters.

How can anyone think that the odds of a major trump disaster happening between now and Nov. 2018 isn't greater than 50%? I'm not saying the Dems will glide to victory, but Trump is going to hurt a lot of republicans
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »

Okay, I am no longer worried. Perez did what HRC never did: he extended an olive branch to the other wing of the party the first chance he got.

Very important point. Perez is already better at his job than DWS was.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies