The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:06:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 106989 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: February 16, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »

I support Ellison, but screw the hacks, I think Perez would do a fine job too, as long as the Bernie bros don't throw a hissy fit and refuse to turn out to vote in the midterms just because they couldn't get their way.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2017, 06:53:19 PM by Ronnie »

I support Ellison, but screw the hacks, I think Perez would do a fine job too, as long as the Bernie bros don't throw a hissy fit and refuse to turn out to vote in the midterms just because they couldn't get their way.

Can we please stop calling them "BernieBros" and call them what they actually are, "supporters"? It's honestly so disrespectful to hear this from fellow Democrats who talk all they want about "party unity" yet jump at the opportunity to ridicule the left.

In my case, it's less ridicule, and more frustration towards those who would rather allow the Republicans stay in power just because they aren't willing to give an inch on policy and on representation to the centrist wing.  As I said, I do hope Ellison wins, but I think it's equally important that those on the left realize that we have to be unified if we don't want the country to be shaped in the image of Trump and his base.  

Beyond that, I think Perez deserves a chance if he wins.  He's evidently a competent and open-minded person, and I think he could be a positive contribution to the party.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »

The AP has a whip count of:

Perez: 205
Ellison: 153
Harrison: 27
Boynton-Brown: 10
Buttigieg: 8

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/eb51ce519f9c430fbf5bff5a42b441ca/dnc-race-remains-tight-energized-democrats-combat-trump
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »

BREAKING on MSNBC: Jaime Harrison drops out and endorses Tom Perez
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »

I'm saddened that Ellison will lose, but as I said before, I'm willing to give Perez a chance.  He has struck me during the campaign as a smart, level-headed guy, and might do a good job.  If he does turn out to be Wasserman-Shultz 2.0, then that just means grassroots organizations will have to do more work to mobilize the base.  While this is a setback, in the end, I think bottom-up resistance to Trump matters more than the DNC bureaucracy.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »

What's up with everybody getting all "Look like Perez will pull it off, smh" attitude? Ellison still holds the edge in more recent "counts" than Perez.

Plus, just because Obama is getting a little involved doesn't mean anything. Remember last year when he did all that campaigning for Hillary (and she still ended up losing). Yeah. Don't be so cynical all of a sudden.

It's because Harrison was seen as a kingmaker, and he endorsed Perez.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »

Oh my god, it's just a fu.cking chairman.

And the establishment won't even let us have that!

Well, they can't stop the Sanders wing from taking over state parties, which they have already started doing.  They also won't necessarily be able to stop Sanders Dems from winning congressional primaries in 2018, or maybe even the presidential primary in 2020.  They can put their thumb on the scale all they want, but in the end, it's the people who decide the important races in this country.  The Republican establishment learned that the hard way in 2016.  I think Sanders Dems need to think about the long game and the bigger picture, if capturing the party is their eventual goal.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »

Well, they can't stop the Sanders wing from taking over state parties, which they have already started doing.  They also won't necessarily be able to stop Sanders Dems from winning congressional primaries in 2018, or maybe even the presidential primary in 2020.  They can put their thumb on the scale all they want, but in the end, it's the people who decide the important races in this country.  The Republican establishment learned that the hard way in 2016.  I think Sanders Dems need to think about the long game and the bigger picture, if capturing the party is their eventual goal.

I really don't get your point. I can be at this BS and play the long game at the same time.

I'm saying that the result of this race should not discourage Sanders Democrats because it's pretty meaningless in the larger scheme of things.  The DNC does not influence the direction of policy; state, federal, and local elections do.  If the Sanders wing wants more power, they should focus on those races.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2017, 10:55:34 PM by Ronnie »

I really don't get your point. I can be at this BS and play the long game at the same time.

I'm saying that the result of this race should not discourage Sanders Democrats because it's pretty meaningless in the larger scheme of things.  The DNC does not influence the direction of policy; state, federal, and local elections do.  If the Sanders wing wants more power, they should focus on those races.

And trust me, plenty are.

But the fact that the establishment is seemingly so unwilling to listen to the base is nothing if not discouraging.

Think of it this way: the Republican establishment didn't listen to the Republican base, and party still dominates every level of government.  Eventually, the Democratic establishment will fall in line with their voters, if moving left is the direction their voters want to go.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:00:24 PM »

I love all these people that are like

"well, there's really no difference between Ellison and Perez so what's the big deal?" or "this isn't even that important a position so what'st he big deal?"

I dunno.. but it is a big deal to me and apparently it isn't to you.. so how about you just give up and let Ellison have it!  No big deal, right?

And that's exactly why I hoped Ellison would win.  But that prospect looks grim, so we have to move on and focus on other, more important things.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »

I'm predicting a very close first ballot with Perez narrowly edging out Ellison.

I'm predicting an easy Perez win on the first ballot.  It won't even be close.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »

Congrats to Tom Perez.  May we all give him the chance he deserves to move the party forward.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »

He said we need to ensure Trump is a one-term president.  Love it!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies