The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:22:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 108263 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 11, 2016, 03:53:37 PM »

I'm baffled at the hatred for Dean. He was a very competent chair and excellent candidate recruiter. He managed to capitalize on the hatred for the GOP and win... basically everything that Democrats wanted. Maybe he's not the right choice now, but he's not the wrong choice either, and he's not awful in any case.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »

I'd prefer Dean, but it appears everyone in power is going behind Ellison, so I guess I support Ellison. Hopefully he can pull off a renewed 50 state strategy.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:43:05 PM »

I think the most important thing is to have Democrats challenging Republicans in every race nationwide.  No race should go unopposed.  And if it means running conservative Democrats in conservative districts... well, we can hash that out when we win congress and assign committee seats and leadership.

Are conservative Democrats even that better at winning? No Democrat got elected Senator in a Trump state this year. Bayh was supposed to be some god of Indiana politics and went down. Two Trump states have pretty liberal senators: Brown and Baldwin. And just for fun, check out the ideology of the last 2 Democratic Senators from Idaho. They were two of the most liberal Senators ever.

What the heck has happened to this country... The polarization breaks my heart Sad

My one sole hope for the Trump presidency is that we see the return of Freudenthal-esque flukey Democratic wins in red territory.
How many blue states are red downballot? We have to win downballot in red states and we can't just do that by saying "me, too".

Fruedenthal was really good at triangulation. He supported gun rights as a proxy for criminal justice reform and supported grocery tax cuts to help the poor.

I'm constantly disappointed that freaking Wyoming had a Democratic governor in the 2000s and Utah didn't.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:32:47 PM »

Here's the real question: Will Ellison actually meaningfully change anything about the Democratic policy on Israel/Palestine? I doubt it. If its becoming more anti-Israeli and pro-Palestinian, it was likely to do that even with Chuck Schumer as DNC Chair. If its not becoming more pro-Palestinian already, then its unlikely to do so with Ellison.

Besides, with Schumer watching, I doubt Ellison will be able to do anything too "anti-Israel".
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »

As long as the new DNC chair isn't obnoxiously incompetent like DWS was, I'm fine with anyone as the next chair.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »

Am I the only one who likes Perez, Ellison, and Buttigieg, and thinks any of the three would do a fine job?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »

Warning: The comments are cancerous.

-"Lewis is a segregationist and a fake civil rights antagonist and Ellison is a Muslim Bortherhood jihadist recruiter. They were made for the demonic party."

-"That's the ticket, an anti-semitic, anti-white muslim."

-"When the horse dies, it is time to dismount. He's not going anywhere else. The dems don't get it."

-"pulling the party left is a losing tactic. Hillary was just a historically horrid candidate. The country is still center. Appointing these dummies will cement the coastal losing legacy for dems."

LOL.

Well, it's The Hill. Their comment section is about as cancerous as Youtube.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »

Just came to post this.

At first I thought Ellison would win hands down; but looks like Perez has it sealed. (feel free to quote this next week) As always internal elections are actually more interesting to see who's backing who- Dean/Rendell backing Buttigieg for example

If Perez wins this, I'll be genuinely infuriated. I will never register as a Democrat if their administration continues with these stupid games.

If you guys (stuanch Ellison supporters) want to be treated like grown ups, you're gonna have to start acting the part.  You're so emotionally invested in a largely meaningless race between very similar candidates that you're threatening to throw a pointless temper-tantrum if your generic progressive Democrat loses to another generic progressive Democrat.  Parties don't change overnight and change comes from the bottom up (we're already seeing some early signs).  I don't mean to single you out, Arch.  You're generally a decent enough poster, but posts like the one you just made give Berniecrats a bad name.

Parties don't change overnight, but they also don't change by playing nice.

I view Ellison v Perez as how willing the Establishment is to play ball. This isn't about policies (with the exception of shilling for TPP out of loyalty to Pres. Obama, Perez is Okay) it's purely factional.

If Ellison loses, it means that we're going to have to end the Democratic careers of the other side if we ever want the Democratic Party to succeed.

I want to see the Sanders-wing prevail too; I consider myself part of it Tongue  However, the path to victory is taking over state parties and running strong progressive candidates in local/city races in places like Boston, Cleveland, Chicago, NYC, etc, etc.  The city machines need to be taken away from the third way hacks and corporate shills first.  Until we do that, we're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves.  Sometimes it is okay to compromise too and Perez really is a lot better than a McAulliffe-type or a DWS-level idiot.  Would Dean or Buttigieg be better?  Sure.  Alas, you can't always get what you want Sad

The thing is that Perez ran specifically because the consulting firms that are the main recipients of donations to the DNC, don't want to lose their access to all that money.  As someone else said earlier, Perez will make sure all the money will remain in the Washington bubble and the Nebraska or the Utah Democratic party will remain broke and unable to compete with Republicans (because who cares about winning elections, right?).  Electing Perez, a guy who pretty much is responsible for slandering a beloved figure on the left like Bernie Sanders during the primaries, and has shown no intention of making the party more inclusive, is like shooting yourself in the head.  But the DNC members who will vote for him don't give a sh*t as long as they have access to power.
If there's something that's bothering Berniecrats is the corruption in the Democratic Party, and I don't understand why some people who are not on our side don't see this.  Maybe they're getting paid by Brock?  Who knows...
Actually.... Perez was in Utah a couple of days ago and specifically said he'd send more money and would fund campaign training for Utah Democrats. And he specifically covered gerrymandering in an interview as well.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »

This Ellison vs Perez war is insane.
I would not mind any of the three front-runners, to be honest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies